Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum

Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Toyota unveils their future worst selling model. (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=551532)

SnakeEyeSS 04-05-2019 11:03 AM

Toyota unveils their future worst selling model.

Avalon TRD. Old news, but not surprised I missed it, was ANYONE waiting for this?

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...d-photos-info/

And I guess I don't need to buy a ZL1 to get some sweet red seatbelts.
:lol:
https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...hat-to-expect/

hammdo 04-05-2019 11:16 AM

Quote:

That Really Is a Gigantic Wing—on a Camry

Yes, Toyota really went Fast and Furious on the Camry TRD's body kit. The most flamboyant aspect, of course, is that tall, angular rear wing—easily the most aggressive such aerodynamic (or styling) accent ever to grace a Camry. Other add-ons include the black-colored winglets around the lower-body region front and rear (with thin red piping included!) and a finned diffuser element between the tailpipes..
what tall wing (second link)...

Geez....

-Don

SSEssence 04-05-2019 12:48 PM

Theyre trying to appeal to the younger crowd that usually goes sporty Lexus, we'll see if there is a market for it.

DRKS1D3 04-05-2019 01:12 PM

At least they are making some performance oriented variants out of their, otherwise ordinary, models. Take notes GM.

IMHO, a model that makes this Toyota look like a Ferrari 458, was the Juke Nismo. :facepalm: Nissan slapped a Nismo badge on a subcompact crossover that was about as sporty as a chest freezer. Eh, to each their own.

DGthe3 04-05-2019 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 (Post 10481946)
At least they are making some performance oriented variants out of their, otherwise ordinary, models. Take notes GM.

IMHO, a model that makes this Toyota look like a Ferrari 458, was the Juke Nismo. :facepalm: Nissan slapped a Nismo badge on a subcompact crossover that was about as sporty as a chest freezer. Eh, to each their own.

GM is doing it with the RS package. Its the same type of thing: no real performance gains & a few cosmetic tweaks to make it look a bit more aggressive.

SnakeEyeSS 04-05-2019 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGthe3 (Post 10482217)
GM is doing it with the RS package. Its the same type of thing: no real performance gains & a few cosmetic tweaks to make it look a bit more aggressive.

I think he meant GM needs actual performance trim models, like Toyota is now making. I was seriously thinking of moving to Passport or even RAV4 TRD for my next family hauler, but a Camry that can turn makes me curious. I like the weird cars

DRKS1D3 04-05-2019 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGthe3 (Post 10482217)

Yes, I'm well aware. I'm on my second Cruze RS as my work car (a '13 and now a '17). The RS moniker has always been an appearance package for GM. Sure, the Cruze RS looks a little bit more aggressive, but there is absolutely no performance added to the package. And with the RS history, that is how it should be. Where are the performance models?

DGthe3 04-05-2019 11:10 PM

I fail to see what makes these any more of a 'real' performance model than the RS package on a Cruze or a Sonic. Normal engine, some slight tire/suspension tweaks, sporty styling add ons. Near as I can tell, they're the basically the same type of package. Maybe this goes half a step further. But its still far short of a performance model.

Now, if Toyota had done a 400 hp+ turbocharged Camry with a bunch of other stuff then I could see calling it something special & asking for more SS's in the Chevy showroom.

Or, thinking of it in another way ... I don't consider the 1LE Camaros or Grand Sport Corvettes to be performance models. They're great handling packages, no question about it. But not performance models. ZL1, Z/28, Z06, ZR1: those are the performance models.

DRKS1D3 04-06-2019 08:57 AM

I respect your opinion. I agree there is no horsepower bump for this TRD, but at least it gets suspension, brake, exhaust and chassis stiffening upgrades. Adding to that, the 301hp is respectable for a ~3,500lb sedan. It's more respectable than the ~135hp in my '13 Cruze or the ~155hp in my '17 (~3,000lbs). Why not AT LEAST 200hp. if a true SS variant was not going to be offered with a more powerful engine? It is anemic at best. For this hypothetical 200hp. Cruze RS, offer true performance suspension, Recaro seats, Brembo brakes, anti-roll bars, intake, catback, etc.. Simply put, a car that enjoys some spirited driving and is fun to drive. Hey, it's just my opinion.

As far as the SS 1LE and the Corvette GS not being performance models, these cars are in and of themselves, performance vehicles. If they're not performance models, I don't know what is. They both can be found under the "Performance" category on Chevy's website. At 465hp.(stock) and ~3,300lbs., my GS is no slouch. Sure, there are higher horsepower models, but they are all performance vehicles. Chevy wanted to make a $75-80k Corvette variant (GS) that could put cars to bed, costing twice as much. They passed with flying colors.

Enjoy your weekend.