Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum

Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ask the Camaro Team (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=309)
-   -   Aug 2018 - Ask Al Poll #6 (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=536061)

mlee 08-10-2018 10:34 AM

Aug 2018 - Ask Al Poll #6

Here's the next Poll

1) Chevy Performance Parts 1LE Suspension Kit Questions

2) Is the 3.6L CAI + ECM flash offered for 2018 models like it is for 2016 & 2017?

3) Is Stealth exhaust mode damaging at the track?

DGthe3 08-26-2018 11:49 AM

Quiet voters ...

mlee 08-26-2018 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGthe3 (Post 10293778)
Quiet voters ...

Did you just bump a sticky:eyebulge:

ninetres 08-26-2018 12:01 PM

Yawn. :emoticon2:

:bolt:

mlee 08-26-2018 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninetres (Post 10293786)
Yawn. :emoticon2:

:bolt:

Yeah, I know. We need some better questions.

Problem is you guys answer most of them right off.

vtirocz 08-26-2018 02:26 PM

mlee,
Thanks for including the suspension kit question in this poll! I agree the original post probably had too many subquestions, but I'd ultimately like to understand this:

1. With a goal of getting as close to an SS 1LE as possible (on a non-MRC SS car), what suspension kit and wheel/tire combination is recommended?
2. Would the SS 1LE wheel/tire combination have any interference with any of the suspension options noted above?
3. Which wheel/tire combination was each kit optimized around?

To parse it down to the bare minimum, what do you think about this wording for the question (see proposed change in bold below)?:

"Al,
I'm interested in upgrading the 1SS base suspension to be closer to the 1SS 1LE. Can we get some comparison data (lap times) and your thoughts to help make this decision, including recommendations for wheel/tire combination upgrades to work with each kit.

Kits:
1. SS lowering kit
2. SS 1LE suspension kit (with MRC cal update)
3. ZL1 1LE suspension kit (both 84352121 and 84352119)

Existing literature states:
- SS lowering/handling kit (springs/shocks-84188726) + handling kit (swaybars/front links-84242386) provides a 1.6s lap time reduction on Milford Proving Grounds Autocross course.
- ZL1 1LE combo noted above provides a 1.8s lap time reduction at Milford Proving Ground NE course on an SS."

77Z28 08-26-2018 07:53 PM

I voted for the suspension question with the hope that Al's answer will touch on what 2016 owners (with MRC) should use. Since it appears that the SS ILE suspension kit w/ the MRC update does not work on 2016 models.

DGthe3 08-29-2018 07:36 PM

What's the closing date on this poll? Just in case I want to leave my vote to the last minute.

mlee 08-29-2018 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGthe3 (Post 10297392)
What's the closing date on this poll? Just in case I want to leave my vote to the last minute.

Friday

travislambert 08-29-2018 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlee (Post 10293807)
Yeah, I know. We need some better questions.

Problem is you guys answer most of them right off.

If I'm being perfectly honest, I'd say the questions aren't being answered quickly enough to motivate people to write new ones. As an example, the question that was answered this August was written last year in December.

In order to maintain participant interest I'd recommend closing polls after 2-3 days and post the next poll shortly after an answer is received. I think if we could establish a faster rhythm, questions would likely evolve to be simpler and easier/quicker for the Camaro team to answer. With our current frequency question authors will be more inclined to pack lots of detail and subquestions into each iteration.

I know we have a bit of a chicken and the egg problem, but that's my 2 cents.

arpad_m 08-29-2018 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travislambert (Post 10297423)
If I'm being perfectly honest, I'd say the questions aren't being answered quickly enough to motivate people to write new ones. As an example, the question that was answered this August was written last year in December.

In order to maintain participant interest I'd recommend closing polls after 2-3 days and post the next poll shortly after an answer is received. I think if we could establish a faster rhythm, questions would likely evolve to be simpler and easier/quicker for the Camaro team to answer. With our current frequency question authors will be more inclined to pack lots of detail and subquestions into each iteration.

+1

It would also help to know how many Al and the Camaro team are willing/able to entertain per month or per quarter. The longer the artificial delay we inject on top of that, the less motivated people are to ask succinct and relevant questions.

I like this suspension question a lot, it's both interesting and potentially educational.

waterman 09-02-2018 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travislambert (Post 10297423)

Agreed. I would hate to see this forum lose traction.

Norm Peterson 09-03-2018 08:47 AM

I'm thinking that each poll should be held open more like a week. I have no idea how often any given person visits this section, how many people are subscribed to the section, or how many people are typically viewing here at any given time, so 2 or 3 days may be too short to indicate much interest in any of the questions.

Perhaps a post noting the existence of a new 'Ask Al' poll and a hint at what the questions are (but no poll) could be posted in the General section and deleted at the close of each poll. Should probably contain some fine print about 'Ask Al' not being about solving individual owner issues or for getting hints about future products.

Norm

mlee 09-03-2018 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson (Post 10300901)
I'm thinking that each poll should be held open more like a week. I have no idea how often any given person visits this section, how many people are subscribed to the section, or how many people are typically viewing here at any given time, so 2 or 3 days may be too short to indicate much interest in any of the questions.

Perhaps a post noting the existence of a new 'Ask Al' poll and a hint at what the questions are (but no poll) could be posted in the General section and deleted at the close of each poll. Should probably contain some fine print about 'Ask Al' not being about solving individual owner issues or for getting hints about future products.

Norm

We do leave them open at least a week. This one since Aug 24th. Good idea about a post in the general section. We thought about just putting the Ask Al section in General but I think it's in the right place. Just need to post some threads to direct folks to the polls. This one is a slam dunk for #1 but maybe a thread to drum up more questions is in order. I don't really see much there for Poll 7 right now.