Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Friend or Pal (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=745)

Mr. Wyndham 03-10-2007 07:30 PM

Friend or Pal

Just looking for thoughts here, who honestly knew that Camaro meant friend?
Before the concept came around, I had no idea.

I also think it's kinda cool that they chose that without even knowing(cue the creepy ghost music)-what other car's name really means something like that...

TAG UR IT 03-11-2007 10:59 AM

Honestly, I did a project way back in college on the Camaro and found out then. I had not owned a Camaro by that time.

SSRich 03-11-2007 02:28 PM

I did it means friend,pal, comrade

Moose 03-11-2007 07:32 PM

Knew it. ;)

I recently did an essay on the Camaro. In it I refer to my Camaro as a friend, and when I was mentioning it to my family and how Camaro meant Friend, they didn't believe me. :laugh:

EllwynX 03-11-2007 07:46 PM

I did, but not until a few years ago.

And I believe they chose 'Camaro' BECAUSE it meant 'friend' and fit in with their naming scheme of the time.

I had a friend who is French Canadian and speaks French. She said 'Camaro' isn't exactly 'friend' but it's a slightly different version of the word that does. (I forget what she said the word was since it was in French, she said it with the accent AND it's been a couple years.)

Moose 03-11-2007 08:08 PM

:laugh: Read the paragraph towards the bottom! :D

http://www.holisticpage.com/camaro/story/history.htm

IROC'em 03-11-2007 09:38 PM

I wanna drive a shrimp with loose bowels!

TAG UR IT 03-12-2007 12:14 AM

:laugh:

That's funny. I bet Ford had a great time w/ that one when it came out. I sure hope the muscle car wars start like I hear they were years ago....commercials bashing the competition, etc. It's going to be great!

Casull 03-12-2007 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TAG UR IT (Post 8311)
:laugh:

That's funny. I bet Ford had a great time w/ that one when it came out. I sure hope the muscle car wars start like I hear they were years ago....commercials bashing the competition, etc. It's going to be great!

Lol... I wonder what they would be able to say about the Camaro?

"That car has the best in class performance and handling, plus it simply looks amazing too... but don't buy it, it is just too much car for you! Instead, buy this newly redesigned Mustang. It is much slower becasue we all know that 99% of you can't handle a Camaro!" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Mr. Wyndham 03-12-2007 10:01 AM

It's a good thing that the Camaro name can't be manipulated like the Mustang-rustang, crustang, Mustank, bustang. Or worse yet: FORD=fix or repair daily -OR- found on road dead....

LowRider 03-12-2007 10:24 AM

I knew it. One day my grandad stopped by and I wanted to show him my car and so I took him to the garage. When he got there he said boy that is a beautiful car you better take care of her. So I told him, I will grandad. That is when he looked at me and said,"That car is your comrade take care of it." I was like what do you mean grandad? He said," that is what Camaro means comrade or friend."
So that was the 1st time I fund that out.

IROC'em 03-12-2007 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 8327)
It's a good thing that the Camaro name can't be manipulated like the Mustang-rustang, crustang, Mustank, bustang. Or worse yet: FORD=fix or repair daily -OR- found on road dead....

First On Race Day... first to break down that is. But at least they circle the problem.

EllwynX 03-12-2007 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IROC'em (Post 8331)
First On Race Day... first to break down that is. But at least they circle the problem.

My favorite is FORD in reverse (which, when you read it fits the statement as well).

DROF= Driver Returns On Foot

SSRich 03-12-2007 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllwynX (Post 8340)
My favorite is FORD in reverse (which, when you read it fits the statement as well).

DROF= Driver Returns On Foot

Fuc$$$ over rebuilt dodge :) :) :) :)