CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   CEL with Cat Delete (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=601373)

MoeChawki 01-14-2022 04:53 PM

CEL with Cat Delete

Just bought the New Era Performance cat delete kit, (deletes all 4), do I NEED a tune or will I be okay without it for a bit? Also, does anybody know how well it will bolt up to a Borla Catback? Hoping I didn’t waste my money on those two. Thank you!

JonDaddy82 01-14-2022 04:58 PM

Where'd you find those gems?! The car will function and should line up with the Borla fine, but it won't really run that great until you get a tune.

MoeChawki 01-14-2022 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonDaddy82 (Post 11120573)
Where'd you find those gems?! The car will function and should line up with the Borla fine, but it won't really run that great until you get a tune.

I got them from weaponxmotorsports.com! $675 shipped to my door, and I’m still waiting for the car I ordered to come in lol. Thank you!

SFV1LE 01-14-2022 05:09 PM

Are you saying that before buying that significant mod (the combined exhaust with cat delete) you did no research on the effect it will have on your very high power forced induction motor?

You must speak to a good shop like Katech, Lingenfelter, etc. If you go WOT or even 3/4 with all that and build significant boost there is a chance you will damage your motor. Even if everything seems to be running well, you may be doing damage to pistons, rings, etc. I'm not sure of this but you can't take chances with AFR in SC and Turbo motors like you can with non-FI.

Mark114 01-14-2022 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoeChawki (Post 11120566)
Just bought the New Era Performance cat delete kit, (deletes all 4), do I NEED a tune or will I be okay without it for a bit? Also, does anybody know how well it will bolt up to a Borla Catback? Hoping I didn’t waste my money on those two. Thank you!

Yes, your car will get an immediate CEL after deleting the cats without a tune to disable it. It could also cause the emission system to log a failure that could cause problems if you live in an area that requires emission testing.

BlaqWhole 01-14-2022 05:27 PM

You will need a tune. However for the price of the tune you might as well also get some more extensive mods like a Big Gulp and maybe even go ahead and port the blower or get LTs. Do a list of mods now and save yourself money from having to get retuned again and again.

Joshinator99 01-14-2022 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFV1LE (Post 11120581)
Are you saying that before buying that significant mod (the combined exhaust with cat delete) you did no research on the effect it will have on your very high power forced induction motor?

You must speak to a good shop like Katech, Lingenfelter, etc. If you go WOT or even 3/4 with all that and build significant boost there is a chance you will damage your motor. Even if everything seems to be running well, you may be doing damage to pistons, rings, etc. I'm not sure of this but you can't take chances with AFR in SC and Turbo motors like you can with non-FI.

You’re not damaging your engine with a cat delete and catback. Let’s pump the brakes a bit on that one…

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark114 (Post 11120586)
Yes, your car will get an immediate CEL after deleting the cats without a tune to disable it. It could also cause the emission system to log a failure that could cause problems if you live in an area that requires emission testing.

Correct. I’ve said it many times and I’ll repeat it again: you should have your tuner shut the associated codes off *before* you install the parts! Otherwise you’ll get a permanent code that will never go away. Can a tuner shut the CEL off after the fact? Yes, but the permanent codes will stay in the memory forever. If your state starts plugging into your ALDL port at inspection time, it’ll be flagged. Do yourself a favor and get the codes disabled before installing the new parts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlaqWhole (Post 11120593)
You will need a tune. However for the price of the tune you might as well also get some more extensive mods like a Big Gulp and maybe even go ahead and port the blower or get LTs. Do a list of mods now and save yourself money from having to get retuned again and again.

Not a bad idea. :thumbup:

MoeChawki 01-14-2022 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshinator99 (Post 11120598)
You’re not damaging your engine with a cat delete and catback. Let’s pump the brakes a bit on that one…

Correct. I’ve said it many times and I’ll repeat it again: you should have your tuner shut the associated codes off *before* you install the parts! Otherwise you’ll get a permanent code that will never go away. Can a tuner shut the CEL off after the fact? Yes, but the permanent codes will stay in the memory forever. If your state starts plugging into your ALDL port at inspection time, it’ll be flagged. Do yourself a favor and get the codes disabled before installing the new parts.

Not a bad idea. :thumbup:

Got it! Any remote tuners you guys recommend? I have some local guys but it takes a lottt for me to trust someone with a tune. Thanks in advance!

LT4Greg 01-14-2022 06:58 PM

Ted Jannety of JRE! From what I have heard and read about him, he knows what he’s doing. If I was going to mod my ZL1 I would use Ted!��

Camaro1973 01-14-2022 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT4Greg (Post 11120618)
Ted Jannety of JRE! From what I have heard and read about him, he knows what he’s doing. If I was going to mod my ZL1 I would use Ted!��

Ted wont touch a car without cats.

LT4Greg 01-14-2022 07:37 PM

Oh yeah. You are correct!

Kerry 01-14-2022 09:54 PM

just get the big daddies simulator's for the rear o2s that's it.... nothing else needed at all period. and no the car will run great and pick up power been their done that. Experience.

Joshinator99 01-14-2022 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoeChawki (Post 11120613)
Got it! Any remote tuners you guys recommend? I have some local guys but it takes a lottt for me to trust someone with a tune. Thanks in advance!

Just find someone in your neck of the woods.

tomster 01-14-2022 10:05 PM

If all you have is a cat delete. Buy HP tuners and the credits and tune it yourself. I'd be happy to help give you some direction. Plus it'll make you better educated, and as you add modifications you can perform your own tunes...