Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum

Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Tesla Going Out of Biness (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=513918)

Marty McFlew 11-20-2017 01:19 PM

Tesla Going Out of Biness

According to Bob Lutz....

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/m/d74f...lutz-says.html

Mr. Meh 11-20-2017 01:44 PM

Their continued existence is something I've question (for a multitude of reasons).. Though, I don't know if I'm more inclined to believe it just because Luts says/thinks it.

I think many people have looked at their model holistically and thought the same and I've seen shell game accusations on more than one occasion to where they're intentionally running some areas at a loss to funnel money to other areas that are harder to fund or just trying to qualify for various things based on their -flow.

Musk is great at "Wow" level showman ship.. And has succeeded in plenty of areas, but that doesn't mean they always will or won't simply be too slow to market and get beat by others with a more evolved deployment cycle and ability.

nicktechla 11-20-2017 01:57 PM

Well whether they make it or not, they have raised the bar for EV.. so everyone has benefited from them. I hope they stay around, because we need some innovators in the industry. If you just leave it up to the big 3 to innovate, it's going to be slow going.

Mr. Wyndham 11-20-2017 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Meh (Post 9982544)
Their continued existence is something I've question (for a multitude of reasons).. Though, I don't know if I'm more inclined to believe it just because Luts says/thinks it.

I think many people have looked at their model holistically and thought the same and I've seen shell game accusations on more than one occasion to where they're intentionally running some areas at a loss to funnel money to other areas that are harder to fund or just trying to qualify for various things based on their -flow.

Musk is great at "Wow" level showman ship.. And has succeeded in plenty of areas, but that doesn't mean they always will or won't simply be too slow to market and get beat by others with a more evolved deployment cycle and ability.

Agreed with all points. Tesla/Musk just built/merged with the largest solar panel manufacturing plant in the Western Hemisphere, located right here in my backyard...Interesting project that's been...

I like them. I just don't have a ton of faith in the business model.

FenwickHockey65 11-20-2017 02:09 PM

I don't think Tesla will go out of business completely.

I do believe at some point, the Tesla brand and whatever manufacturing capabilities they eventually have will get scooped up by an existing automaker.

Stormcloak 11-20-2017 02:18 PM

Bob Lutz says a lot of stuff:

http://www.motortrend.com/news/lutz-...s-by-2015-250/

Tesla is hilariously overvalued by Wall Street, but I don't think they're going anywhere just yet.

2SSRS@Gen5diy 11-20-2017 02:26 PM

You can only under deliver for so long before the creditors come knocking on the door.

As a large company Tesla has to do forecasting of how long they need the money for, what there burn rate will be per month, what the forecast for sales will be, and how are they going to pay it back in what time frame, in this app 2 out of 3 is bad.

Hixson 11-20-2017 02:31 PM

I'm very pro-Tesla, so I will advocate for the company. IF they are able to get out of production hell, nail down the manufacturing process, and are able to meet close to their production goals for the model 3 in 2018 - every single automaker in the industry that isn't named Tesla is in for a world of hurt. Estimated volume of model 3s by the end of 2018 was what - 300,000+? And that's just preorders. 2019 they start rolling out model 3 for the autonomous and high efficiency cab/uber/rent-a-car companies and completely take over their fleet of cars. Late 2019-2020 they have model 3s available on the showroom floor for customers to walk in and purchase at a preset, no haggle price. A car with that kind of performance, 8 year warranty, quality of worksmanship, and longevity at $35,000 will absolutely destroy the EV divisions of the other car manufacturers. You think someone will pay $42,000 for the Chevy Bolt when you can purchase a car that is hands down a better vehicle with way more advance technology for $7,000 less?

Right now Tesla's issues are production and exclusivity. You couldn't get your hands on a model 3 today if you tried. But IF they make it out of the next 12-18 months and figure out their formula - the EV share of the auto world is going to be staggering.

ChefBorOzzy 11-20-2017 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormcloak (Post 9982582)
Bob Lutz says a lot of stuff:

http://www.motortrend.com/news/lutz-...s-by-2015-250/

Tesla is hilariously overvalued by Wall Street, but I don't think they're going anywhere just yet.

Amazon has been overvalued for a long time.

Marty McFlew 11-20-2017 04:02 PM

GM currently has the most innovative/practical Electric which is the Bolt.

sherob 11-20-2017 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hixson (Post 9982599)
I'm very pro-Tesla, so I will advocate for the company. IF they are able to get out of production hell, nail down the manufacturing process, and are able to meet close to their production goals for the model 3 in 2018 - every single automaker in the industry that isn't named Tesla is in for a world of hurt. Estimated volume of model 3s by the end of 2018 was what - 300,000+? And that's just preorders. 2019 they start rolling out model 3 for the autonomous and high efficiency cab/uber/rent-a-car companies and completely take over their fleet of cars. Late 2019-2020 they have model 3s available on the showroom floor for customers to walk in and purchase at a preset, no haggle price. A car with that kind of performance, 8 year warranty, quality of worksmanship, and longevity at $35,000 will absolutely destroy the EV divisions of the other car manufacturers. You think someone will pay $42,000 for the Chevy Bolt when you can purchase a car that is hands down a better vehicle with way more advance technology for $7,000 less?

Right now Tesla's issues are production and exclusivity. You couldn't get your hands on a model 3 today if you tried. But IF they make it out of the next 12-18 months and figure out their formula - the EV share of the auto world is going to be staggering.

That $36k model 3 isn't all that... (Bolt is $37K) it's black, has a 220 mile range, and their craftsmanship hasn't been anything to brag about yet... the Nissan Leaf has better build quality. :biggrin:

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/nissa...-drive-review/

Hixson 11-20-2017 04:35 PM

There is a negative 1000% chance if availability wasn't an issue, more than a handful of people would choose a base Nissan leaf over a base Model 3. I'm not saying its all perfect right now, I'm just saying if they do get it right and meet expectations they will be an unstoppable force in the auto market.

FenwickHockey65 11-20-2017 05:35 PM

LOL @ anyone who thinks a Tesla product has acceptable quality of workmanship.

nicktechla 11-20-2017 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty McFlew (Post 9982702)
GM currently has the most innovative/practical Electric which is the Bolt.

I bought one, it's great