Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Bought a 2010 SS from a less than honest seller and now it is throwing a few codes. (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=610873)

steaksauce28 10-30-2022 02:45 PM

Bought a 2010 SS from a less than honest seller and now it is throwing a few codes.

S

bottletalk 10-30-2022 03:01 PM

u need a tune, get an email tune from dyno Steve at DSP performance.

steaksauce28 10-30-2022 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bottletalk (Post 11247717)
u need a tune, get an email tune from dyno Steve at DSP performance.

Not to sound like an idiot but tuning is super new to me. So I take it the tuner that came with the car won't work? How does an email tune work and can someone with no tuning experience apply it to their vehicle? Is there any risk to tuning the car? Will it matter that I don't know 100% of what mods were done to the vehicle when trying to explain it to the tuner? For instance with the stainless works exhaust I'm not sure if the headers (when looking at their website) are the American made or made overseas version or if they are 2' or 1 7/8'.

bsn 10-30-2022 05:45 PM

RELAX!!!
The codes are due to the headers a tuner can make it go away if your getting a light, if you aren't getting the light don't sweat it. There is a tag on one of the header tubes you can see from up top that will tell you Stainless Power (overseas) or Stainless Works (USA) They are both virtually identical except for where they are made and warranty, and they are excellent quality. Car should be fine to enjoy as is. It wouldn't hurt to have someone look at the tune that's in it and make sure everything is fine but it sounds like you got a great deal.

RupertPupkin 10-30-2022 07:17 PM

So you test drove the car, it's clean to eat off of, and clean car fax.. you've had it for a week and codes popped up.... How is the seller not honest.

steaksauce28 10-30-2022 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RupertPupkin (Post 11247798)
So you test drove the car, it's clean to eat off of, and clean car fax.. you've had it for a week and codes popped up.... How is the seller not honest.

Very fair. I guess I jumped the gun because I didn’t understand the codes. I can see the same codes (or at least one of them) was cleared so that the check engine light wasn’t on when I bought. Granted a bit of this is on me for not bringing my scanner with me when I looked at it. Doesn’t seem like as big of deal now.

I’ve driven it roughly 20 miles since having bought it. I’m sure he knew (or at least I’m fairly certain) the codes were an issue and cleared them recently but from researching it a bit more this isn’t a huge deal. I was thinking the 4 codes were more serious.

Granted he somehow got it to pass inspection a few months back with these mods already on so maybe his tune failed? Wish I understood more about tuning. Also from an honesty standpoint there were a few other issues that he was clearly not honest about but nothing serious and I liked the car too much.

steaksauce28 10-30-2022 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsn (Post 11247761)
RELAX!!!
The codes are due to the headers a tuner can make it go away if your getting a light, if you aren't getting the light don't sweat it. There is a tag on one of the header tubes you can see from up top that will tell you Stainless Power (overseas) or Stainless Works (USA) They are both virtually identical except for where they are made and warranty, and they are excellent quality. Car should be fine to enjoy as is. It wouldn't hurt to have someone look at the tune that's in it and make sure everything is fine but it sounds like you got a great deal.

Thanks so much for the info! Hate to keep bumping my own post but just wanted say how appreciative I am of this groups knowledge. Also just checked the headers and they have big SW plates on them so I’m assuming USA. Just reached out to dynosteve for tuning though I’m hoping my current tuner might be able to kick these lights off.

InFiD3ViL 10-30-2022 10:10 PM

Holy balls. $16k for a 2010 SS with only 39k miles?

Correct me if I am wrong, but that seems like an amazing deal?

morepowerjoe 10-30-2022 10:25 PM

Codes or no codes that was an amazing deal.

FasNuf 10-30-2022 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL (Post 11247856)

Correct me if I am wrong, but that seems like an amazing deal?

I agree! Awesome deal.

:blackvertshift:

bottletalk 10-30-2022 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steaksauce28 (Post 11247803)
Thanks so much for the info! Hate to keep bumping my own post but just wanted say how appreciative I am of this groups knowledge. Also just checked the headers and they have big SW plates on them so I’m assuming USA. Just reached out to dynosteve for tuning though I’m hoping my current tuner might be able to kick these lights off.

use someone that has a ls3 background just for simplicity....u don't need anymore cel's lol ps the mod the og owner did (4cyl/8cyl) is a vvt delete. u now have a ls3! mention that to ur tuner if ur going with an email tune.
ur California edition superchip is holding back some HP, u might want to change that at some point.
u got a great deal, enjoy!

The_bald_eagle_machine 10-31-2022 06:30 AM

As others have stated... You got a killer deal at that price. Especially a car with DOD delete, Headers, etc... Get a proper tune, and your light troubles will go away. Enjoy your fun new ride!

hrpiii 10-31-2022 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_bald_eagle_machine (Post 11247902)
As others have stated... You got a killer deal at that price. Especially a car with DOD delete, Headers, etc... Get a proper tune, and your light troubles will go away. Enjoy your fun new ride!

agree, agree, agree. A tune is your magical answer. Great deal on a great care. I have a 2010 SS with only 67k miles on it and lots of mods.

ElderJ 10-31-2022 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL (Post 11247856)

Yeah, I don't see anything even close to that price range around here. A low mileage SS is going for $25k-$40k in my area.