CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Windows Down = Unbearable Wind Buffeting/Percussion (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=550622)

19Shadow1LE 03-24-2019 11:45 AM

Windows Down = Unbearable Wind Buffeting/Percussion

Does anyone else experience extreme wind buffeting with both windows down at ~40+ mph? It's even worse with one window down, but I never do that.
I have experienced this effect in sedans with only the back windows down, but it's easily resolved by lowering the front windows.

I've owned a 1997 Camaro, 2000 Corvette, and 2003 Cobra, and have NEVER experienced wind buffeting with the windows down.

Are there any good solutions to this problem? I don't have a sunroof to open so that's not an option.

DaveC113 03-24-2019 11:50 AM

I don't get buffeting but am annoyed by the way the seatbelts flap around at highway speeds. I've been considering making some sort of small wind deflector which would stop this and maybe help smooth things out a bit.

HighIron 03-24-2019 12:10 PM

Yes, my observations pretty much mirror yours. The buffeting being annoying enough to outweigh any fresh air feeling.

It's not a big issue for me since the range of outside air temp that favors open windows is pretty small for me, and in the spring, I don't want the heavy pollen inundating my interior ( and me ). Most of the time I run windows shut with either A/C, heat, or fan.

The other issue is sound. One would think this seems illogical, but for whatever reason the exhaust sound ( NPP valves open ) has a nicer tone from inside the car with the windows shut. Throatier, somehow.

DenverTaco07 03-24-2019 12:10 PM

one window down, yes, but with both down that does seem weird. I did see some sort of TSB summary stating something about the buffeting, but would need a subscription to see the details.

NHTSA ID: 10114041
TSB ID: 17-NA-140

This technical bulletin provides repair information to correct a customer concern of a wind or buffeting noise that is heard in the vehicle cabin while driving with one window lowered

looks like for only one window down...

LT4Greg 03-24-2019 12:42 PM

Yes with my 2010 SS and my 2016 SS. Haven’t run with windows down in my Z but I’m sure it will do it too.

Gasoline_Farts 03-24-2019 02:23 PM

It’s worse with the back seat down.

Also if you leave both windows just a few inches up, it stops

JCunningham 03-24-2019 03:46 PM

Silverado does it too. Sounds like your under a helicopter.

vtirocz 03-24-2019 04:33 PM

I agree. I never drive on the highway with my windows open in my '17 SS due to noise / buffeting. I often did in my '00 Z28, even with T-Tops out and the noise / buffeting was much better in that car. Must be due to aerodynamic characteristics of each car.

cellsafemode 03-25-2019 08:25 AM

I drive with my windows down all the time at all speeds from 0 to 90. I only get buffeting if one window is up or they are both partially up, which is almost never the case.

Otherwise it is fine. Maybe the seat position and thus where your head is makes a big difference.

CoolbreezeNJ 03-25-2019 08:43 AM

When one window is down I hear it but when I drop the 2nd window it was gone. My guess is that it is the headliner in the rear. It is not held down by anything hence I thought it was flapping in the breeze.

Should I put double sided tape in it or is my headliner either screwed or like everybody elses.

Karma81 03-25-2019 08:46 AM

Seems to go away when I open my Sunroof.

geaux_tigerss 03-25-2019 09:31 AM

I ride with my windows down all of the time. Pretty much daily on my evening commute. I don't have buffeting like you are describing. On a side, note, this was an interesting find - particularly the top comment.

https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/...e_window_down/

CoolbreezeNJ 03-25-2019 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 (Post 10469898)
one window down, yes, but with both down that does seem weird. I did see some sort of TSB summary stating something about the buffeting, but would need a subscription to see the details.

NHTSA ID: 10114041
TSB ID: 17-NA-140

This technical bulletin provides repair information to correct a customer concern of a wind or buffeting noise that is heard in the vehicle cabin while driving with one window lowered

looks like for only one window down...

So where is the write up for this TSB??