Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum

Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-topic Discussions (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Transformers/Other car movies (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=359669)

racergirl 05-21-2014 07:35 PM

Transformers/Other car movies

So the other day my friend and I were discussing movies and somehow Transformers came up. I mentioned that I've never seen it, and she knowing the car buff I am, was shocked that I've never seen it, having a Camaro made my case worse. Anyway, today we watched the movie, and I can honestly say it was a great movie. It made me proud to own a Camaro. Plus Tyrese was in it! Love him from Fast & Furious series. So, what are some of y'alls favorite car movies?

JimE 05-21-2014 07:57 PM

There are many, from good and bad (in no particular order...and I'm sure I missed some):

Gone in 60 Seconds (1974)
Gone in Sixty Seconds (2000)
Fast and the Furious series
Bullitt
Smokey and the Bandit
American Graffiti
The Cannonball Run
Vanishing Point
Mad Max / The Road Warrior
Christine
Death Race
The Gumball Rally
Two-Lane Blacktop
Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry

racergirl 05-21-2014 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimE (Post 7684377)
There are many, from good and bad (in no particular order...and I'm sure I missed some):

Bullitt
Smokey and the Bandit
American Graffiti
The Cannonball Run
Vanishing Point
Christine
Death Race
The Gumball Rally
Two-Lane Blacktop
Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry

My dad and I LOVE to watch American Graffiti, he even has the toy replicas of the 55 Chevy and 32 coupe. What do you think of the Fast & Furious series?

layzurguy 05-21-2014 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimE (Post 7684377)

Bullitt
Smokey and the Bandit
American Graffiti
The Cannonball Run
Vanishing Point
Christine
Death Race
The Gumball Rally
Two-Lane Blacktop
Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry

All great movies for the car buff. Too bad some of the sequels werent quite up to par.
But my favorite car tv show would have to be the hoffmeister in knight rider.
Also remember a movie just called 'The Car' from 1977

spyderbuddy 05-21-2014 08:20 PM

One you forgot
Wraith

Ryanbabz71 05-21-2014 08:40 PM

My now wife and I went to see gone in 60 secs at the theater in 2000 when it came out. It was our first actual date. I had about a 2 month old silverado. Entire movie I was freaking out that it was going to get stolen. Anytime it comes on I have to watch it

Ryan

Sapphire 05-21-2014 10:19 PM

I really like Gone in Sixty Seconds, Fast and the Furious series, and the Blue's Brothers... those car chases ... so funny!

LimaCharlie 05-22-2014 12:48 AM

I never really considered 'Transformers' as a car movie. Unfortunately, most of my favorite car movies are older. Modern car movies have too much CG, pointless explosions, stupid drama, etc....

My favorite car movie is probably 'Two-Lane Blacktop' and the original 'Gone in 60 Seconds' (the one made in 1974) would be a close second place for me.
Other notable movies are 'Vanishing Point' and 'Fast and the Furious'.

Mark T 05-22-2014 12:54 AM

We cannot forget the obvious...

Cars

Black2SS_LS3 05-22-2014 01:55 AM

It's not really a car movie, but Jack Reacher has a pretty sweet 70 Chevelle chase scene.

ClawSS 05-22-2014 09:15 AM

IMO, a chase scene does not immediately make the film a "car movie". I feel that when the cars become focused participants / actors in the action...on purpose...maybe even with minor descriptions of there existence, a car movie is then made.

Examples of non-car movies:
Ronin: Awesome chase scene, but definitely not a car movie.
Bourne: Awesome chase scene(s), but definitely not a car movie.
Bullitt : Awesome chase scene, but definitely not a car movie...Sorry, but just a chase scene...the rest is a cop / murder movie.
McQ: John Wayne has a freakin awesome '73 Brewster Green T/A, but just a cop movie.

Car Movies:
F&F series: They talk about the cars and are tied in directly to the actors and personas
Smokey & the Bandit: "Need a fast car...faster than that...faster." And he came up with a T/A...I hated the choices in the late 70's.
Christine: Totally about the car...and who wouldn't wish for self-healing bodywork at the cost of your immortal soul.
Gone in 60 (Sixty): Both are great and about the cars with the latest treating the cars with respect and love.
The Wrath + The Car: Whether alien or demon, both were car centric and actual characters in the film.
Cars: It's about cars...animated, but really kinda cool. Cars 2...even gives "lemons" a chance at stardom.

/end diatribe on car film definitions

menendez1293 05-22-2014 11:43 AM

Well pretty much all of mine were mentioned already, and my car is a pretty good indication that I was a fan of the TF movies :lol:

pgustavson 05-22-2014 11:58 AM

Not a car movie, but the chase scene in The French Connection ranks up there...IMO