Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum

Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   MX-5 RF (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=544333)

Lazerbrainz2k3 12-14-2018 10:21 PM

MX-5 RF

I know this is pretty far off the beaten path for a muscle car forum, but...

A co-worker recently got himself a brand new Mazda Miata RF, the first I've seen up close "in the wild," so to speak. My God, what a gorgeous little car. I've always liked the Miata, but this latest generation ditches the charming-cute style for such upscale sheet metal that i can't help but turn my head every time i walk by the thing. Seems like the Japanese came up with the best take on the very best modern interpretation of classic European sports car heritage out there (and considering Fiat has its own Miata-clone on the market, that's saying something).

If GM ever decided to do another roadster to replace the dearly departed Solstice and Sky (RIP), they'd really have their work cut out for them to compete with that Miata. Still think they should try, but with not-muscle cars dropping like flies, i don't see it.

In the meantime, the RF moves way up the list of cars I'd buy if i could afford a second fun car.

Iron Lung Jimmy 12-15-2018 02:17 PM

I'd buy one of those tomorrow if it wasn't for all of the Silverados and F-150s roaming around driven by highly aggressive/inattentive drivers.

BMR Sales 12-17-2018 09:14 AM

Way too small!

shaffe 12-17-2018 09:30 AM

Little biased since I just bought a 2018 Mazda6, but I think Mazda has been killing it lately with their designs. The only one of their current vehicles I think is ugly is the CX-3.

BMR Sales 12-17-2018 10:04 AM

I've been involved with Mazda Racing Programs in IMSA, I just wish they would make a bigger Sportscar. And get rid of the gimmicks, like SkyActive Technology - what are they getting, Cloud Power?

shaffe 12-17-2018 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMR Sales (Post 10386738)
I've been involved with Mazda Racing Programs in IMSA, I just wish they would make a bigger Sportscar. And get rid of the gimmicks, like SkyActive Technology - what are they getting, Cloud Power?

Isn't skyactive technology just like their trade name for stuff like EcoBoost?

DGthe3 12-17-2018 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazerbrainz2k3 (Post 10385191)
I know this is pretty far off the beaten path for a muscle car forum, but...

A co-worker recently got himself a brand new Mazda Miata RF, the first I've seen up close "in the wild," so to speak. My God, what a gorgeous little car. I've always liked the Miata, but this latest generation ditches the charming-cute style for such upscale sheet metal that i can't help but turn my head every time i walk by the thing. Seems like the Japanese came up with the best take on the very best modern interpretation of classic European sports car heritage out there (and considering Fiat has its own Miata-clone on the market, that's saying something).

If GM ever decided to do another roadster to replace the dearly departed Solstice and Sky (RIP), they'd really have their work cut out for them to compete with that Miata. Still think they should try, but with not-muscle cars dropping like flies, i don't see it.

In the meantime, the RF moves way up the list of cars I'd buy if i could afford a second fun car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMR Sales (Post 10386738)

Keeping those two bolded ideas in mind ... a while ago I thought of something that GM could do if they were going to create a Corvette sub-brand. Something sort of in between the Miata and C7 Corvette in terms of size & performance. Maybe about 100 inch wheelbase, and about 13 & a half foot overall length. Weight of around 3000 lbs. Think roughly Nissan 370Z sized. And for simplicity's sake, maybe make it V6 only (which could include a high performing twin turbo version).

It would be an add-on to the Corvette family, alongside the mid engined car and the regular one. In essence, it would be the Cayman to the conventional Corvette's 911.

If it could be priced reasonably, I think it could carve out a decent niche for itself. If GM were to make a Miata competitor, they'd have to out Miata the Miata ... which includes turning the opinion of Miata loving car journalists. But go a slightly different route, and there is a bigger pool of potential buyers and an easier target to benchmark.

DGthe3 12-17-2018 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaffe (Post 10386801)

Yes, but its a dumber combination of words. At least EcoBoast implies something about what the engine is going to be like. I have no idea what 'SkyActiv' [no 'E'] could even mean.

Martinjlm 12-20-2018 06:09 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by shaffe (Post 10386801)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGthe3 (Post 10386962)
Yes, but its a dumber combination of words. At least EcoBoast implies something about what the engine is going to be like. I have no idea what 'SkyActiv' [no 'E'] could even mean.

Actually, it’s sort of the “anti-EcoBoost”. Mazda is focused on meeting all the various fuel economy and emissions regulations (US, Europe, Japan) without direct injected turbo-charging and without multi-speed transmissions (anything over 6 speeds) and without electrification. They are focused on maximizing engine thermal efficiency and minimizing various loss functions like spinning losses and friction losses and pumping losses. SkyActiv engines are 41% thermal efficient, meaning 41% of the available energy in a unit of fuel is converted to energy to move the wheels. The rest is lost to heat and all the other loss paths that they are working on minimizing. By comparison, most gasoline engines are in the 27 - 35% range. Mazda is targeting 45% before 2025. For 2109 they are launching the first Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) engine in the world. To over-simplify, it’s a gas engine that runs a lot of the time on a diesel compression cycle. GM, Honda, Mercedes, Hyundai and other brands have worked on HCCI and come close. Mazda will ring the bell.

Yes, they do have a 2.5 turbo in the CX9, but that’s due as much to physics as to anything else. It’s a big vehicle and needs more power to move it efficiently.

More on topic....I did get to drive an MX5 RF for a few days. Fun car, but way too many compromises for my blood.

Aw crap. Sideways photo thing. No clue how to fix.

BMR Sales 12-20-2018 12:20 PM

here you go

https://i.hmjimg.com/images/2018/12/...C3F5FEF.md.jpg

https://i.hmjimg.com/images/2018/12/...B733FFF.md.jpg

shaffe 12-20-2018 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martinjlm (Post 10389062)
Actually, it’s sort of the “anti-EcoBoost”. Mazda is focused on meeting all the various fuel economy and emissions regulations (US, Europe, Japan) without direct injected turbo-charging and without multi-speed transmissions (anything over 6 speeds) and without electrification. They are focused on maximizing engine thermal efficiency and minimizing various loss functions like spinning losses and friction losses and pumping losses. SkyActiv engines are 41% thermal efficient, meaning 41% of the available energy in a unit of fuel is converted to energy to move the wheels. The rest is lost to heat and all the other loss paths that they are working on minimizing. By comparison, most gasoline engines are in the 27 - 35% range. Mazda is targeting 45% before 2025. For 2109 they are launching the first Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) engine in the world. To over-simplify, it’s a gas engine that runs a lot of the time on a diesel compression cycle. GM, Honda, Mercedes, Hyundai and other brands have worked on HCCI and come close. Mazda will ring the bell.

Yes, they do have a 2.5 turbo in the CX9, but that’s due as much to physics as to anything else. It’s a big vehicle and needs more power to move it efficiently.

More on topic....I did get to drive an MX5 RF for a few days. Fun car, but way too many compromises for my blood.

Aw crap. Sideways photo thing. No clue how to fix.

Very interesting!

I can tell you the turbo2.5 in my Mazda6 sure scoots pretty good lol

HyperspaceTurd 12-27-2018 05:58 PM

Awesome handling and dirt cheap running costs. I'm still in shock from our tire costs. I'm very much a road course focused driver instead of a drag racer. I'll leave the street racing up to the children.

Ive considered trading in my SS for one, and it may still happen. That or an 86.

LimaCharlie 12-28-2018 04:39 PM

One thing I appreciate about Mazda is they are focused on perfecting the internal combustion engine. Most car companies are beginning to focus on electric cars, which is bad news to me. An engine is the soul of a car. If a car doesn't make a sound, it doesn't have a soul. It has no personality. I dread the day when most cars on the road are electric (especially performance cars). Hopefully it won't happen in my lifetime.

its a syn 12-29-2018 05:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Code 130r with 2.0 turbo would be a nice start