Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   DONE-VALVE SPRING REFRESH. (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592349)

1JEWLDSSRS 05-11-2021 08:35 PM

DONE-VALVE SPRING REFRESH.

Well picked my Camaro up today from the shop after having the BTR .660 valve springs swapped out after 23k miles, and had the 2 oil leaks fixed, oil pan and the cooler/heater block and the leaking Mishimoto thermostat replaced, and a new set of NGKTR6IX plugs installed, it had NGKTR6 V-Power's in it. I really never knew how poorly my Camaro was performing at rpm's above 6800 until I drove her home today with the new springs and plugs installed, wow what a difference!! It's almost like the day I took her home from the cam swap and felt the new found power!! Before when I got on it and was running her out to 7000 and above it felt like she just didn't want to go anymore. Been like that for a while. Now with the new springs and plugs she seems to have some more grunt and pull behind her, seems tighter if you know what I mean all the way up the rpm scale and now she will pull really hard all the way out to redline 7400!! Ans STILL wants to go!!
Man I didn't think a refresh of the valve springs would make that much difference, but it did, wow. I'm happy. Plus the cam lope at idle sounds a bit more crisper than it did before, maybe my imagination. I remember asking Bo months ago when he was doing his springs, how would you know when they are getting tired? And he said his engine would just lay over on the top end, and that was what mine was doing because now the top end is very strong again now. Thanks Bo. So you guys getting closer to your refresh time, don't go past 20k to do it like I did and have to deal with inferior performance trying to get "a little more" out of them, not worth it. Thankd for reading and good luck guys. :happy0180:

Bo White 05-11-2021 11:53 PM

Mine didn't start loosing power until my springs hit 40k miles. Each dyno visit was great until around that point. I'm always here to help bud.

1JEWLDSSRS 05-12-2021 07:29 AM

Thanks Bo, you da man!! We appreciate all your knowledge and insight..

WHAMMO 05-13-2021 01:20 PM

Nice, I feel ya, mine were done after 1 month LOL

Chris49066SS 05-13-2021 02:58 PM

I am at about 18k, yeah I need to make a trip to GPI and have the next round of little goodies installed...GPI suggested the PAC .700 springs to replace the .660 BTRs

1JEWLDSSRS 05-13-2021 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WHAMMO (Post 11009873)
Nice, I feel ya, mine were done after 1 month LOL

Wow that's a short time to wear them out, but with you spinning her up to 7900 that will do it!! I spend a lot of time with my beast above 7000 because she likes it up there and continues to make power up there, so yea I felt the difference with the new springs for certain..

morepowerjoe 05-13-2021 07:12 PM

Well cool. I'm glad you got it done before you lost a spring. I will definitely be changing mine at or before 20k just to be safe. Did they drop the cradle to do the oil pan gasket?

WHAMMO 05-13-2021 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS (Post 11009924)
Wow that's a short time to wear them out, but with you spinning her up to 7900 that will do it!! I spend a lot of time with my beast above 7000 because she likes it up there and continues to make power up there, so yea I felt the difference with the new springs for certain..

I think the springs are still good, they juat weren't the right springs for the setup.

Glad you setup works well. I loved my ole TSP stage 3 and over 7000 was good times too!!

1JEWLDSSRS 05-14-2021 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morepowerjoe (Post 11010026)
Well cool. I'm glad you got it done before you lost a spring. I will definitely be changing mine at or before 20k just to be safe. Did they drop the cradle to do the oil pan gasket?

Yes they did drop the cradle for that one... And when we put it all back together we installed new sway bar links and and bushings.. The front feels a lot more quieter and smoother now as well..

1JEWLDSSRS 05-14-2021 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WHAMMO (Post 11010104)
I think the springs are still good, they juat weren't the right springs for the setup.

Glad you setup works well. I loved my ole TSP stage 3 and over 7000 was good times too!!

Yes sir thanks. Nothing quite sounds like an LS 3 spinning to 7000 and above when you are driving hard for short periods of time, I don't spend a lot of time up there, but enough to enjoy the pull!! :thumbup:

Chris49066SS 05-14-2021 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS (Post 11010260)
Yes sir thanks. Nothing quite sounds like an LS 3 spinning to 7000 and above when you are driving hard for short periods of time, I don't spend a lot of time up there, but enough to enjoy the pull!! :thumbup:

I don't spend a lot of time there either, per se, but when I want to, its there. I haven't been able to track it in quite a while, and on the street, by the time I get there in second I am around 70mph. And I don't find myself merging onto freeways much, so its just one of those things. Speeding tickets are never a good thing:eyebulge:

1JEWLDSSRS 05-14-2021 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris49066SS (Post 11010267)
I don't spend a lot of time there either, per se, but when I want to, its there. I haven't been able to track it in quite a while, and on the street, by the time I get there in second I am around 70mph. And I don't find myself merging onto freeways much, so its just one of those things. Speeding tickets are never a good thing:eyebulge:

Totally agree on this one!!

lazerlemonta 05-17-2021 03:06 PM

I need to swap my BTR .660 too. Life over 8000 was hard on them lol

1JEWLDSSRS 05-17-2021 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazerlemonta (Post 11011920)
I need to swap my BTR .660 too. Life over 8000 was hard on them lol

There he is!! Mr lazer!! Thanks for YOUR help as well in my build sir. How ya been bro?? Well I hope. And yea I would think that life over 8000 would be a bear on the springs to say the least!! :yikes: