Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum

Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-topic Discussions (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Garage door spring broke (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=597429)

StingrayblueSS 09-17-2021 02:46 PM

Garage door spring broke

Went out to the garage and saw a cable hanging down and spring is broke. Door is down so spring on other side is stretched. Should I try to fix it or call someone?

JKSully 09-17-2021 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StingrayblueSS (Post 11072344)
Went out to the garage and saw a cable hanging down and spring is broke. Door is down so spring on other side is stretched. Should I try to fix it or call someone?

Personally, I'd call someone. Those things can be under a lot of tension and cause serious injury if you're not careful and/or don't know what you're doing (I don't).

Nailbender 09-17-2021 04:51 PM

Hire it done !! I’ve installed several of these and I even almost got nailed when one got away from me. Save money in the long run HOSPITAL BILLS are expensive!

1COR.1:18 09-17-2021 06:12 PM

If you have to ask, call someone to fix it.

Iron Lung Jimmy 09-17-2021 07:28 PM

Definitely call someone

FarmerFran 09-17-2021 08:02 PM

Torsion spring or the dual side springs?

Side springs = easy
Torsion = call an expert

If you have side springs always run the safety line through them.

Bigdumogre 09-17-2021 08:05 PM

I have the side springs and my cable snapped. I use a rope in its place and has been going strong for a few years now. But I really don’t trust the rope for much longer. Gotta be careful with heavy doors and springs under tension.

JKSully 09-17-2021 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdumogre (Post 11072499)
I have the side springs and my cable snapped. I use a rope in its place and has been going strong for a few years now. But I really don’t trust the rope for much longer. Gotta be careful with heavy doors and springs under tension.

Yeah, but you're a big dumb ogre, so what do you know? SORRY, couldn't resist...

I just had both of my garage doors replaced - one of the installers was telling me how his uncle, who has done installs all his life, just about ripped his thumb off when he took his eye off of one of those tension springs for a second and it slipped while he was pre-loading it. Not something to mess with.

I've always heard warnings about the side springs, especially if they snap while the door is down and stretching them. Mostly about damage to the car parked under them, though.

FarmerFran 09-17-2021 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKSully (Post 11072507)
Yeah, but you're a big dumb ogre, so what do you know? SORRY, couldn't resist...

I just had both of my garage doors replaced - one of the installers was telling me how his uncle, who has done installs all his life, just about ripped his thumb off when he took his eye off of one of those tension springs for a second and it slipped while he was pre-loading it. Not something to mess with.

I've always heard warnings about the side springs, especially if they snap while the door is down and stretching them. Mostly about damage to the car parked under them, though.

That is why you put the safety line inside the side spring style.

StingrayblueSS 09-18-2021 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarmerFran (Post 11072497)
Torsion spring or the dual side springs?

Side springs = easy
Torsion = call an expert

If you have side springs always run the safety line through them.

I have the side springs. If I can't figure it out this weekend I'll call someone Monday. I'm lucky none of the shrapnel hit the car.

Bigdumogre 09-18-2021 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKSully (Post 11072507)

Hahahahaha yep my brother gave me that name as a teenager and still sticks even into my 40’s since I’m 6’4 240

But yea springs are scary as fuk, I’ve seen plenty of guys at my old mechanic shop get hurt with flying springs when they drop control arms.

Bigdumogre 09-18-2021 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StingrayblueSS (Post 11072613)
I have the side springs. If I can't figure it out this weekend I'll call someone Monday. I'm lucky none of the shrapnel hit the car.

That’s why I want to get a indoor car cover. They are worth the money

Silveradoss573 09-18-2021 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StingrayblueSS (Post 11072613)

We had one break a few years back after I backed my truck out and closed the door. Even with the safety cable, a piece of the spring went flying around the garage violently evidently. My wife was in the house and heard when the spring broke and heard the piece hitting my toolbox and other items. Luckily it missed her car we think anyways as we never found any damage. The garage door installer recommended changing them out every 10 years if used on a daily basis. :noidea:

Ingrid 09-19-2021 03:55 AM

Don't know about your spring but they don't last forever. Last repairman told me to spray the spring and all the wheels with silicone spray once a month. Seems to help (those coils rub against each other - add a little corrosion and boing!)