Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension / Brakes / Chassis (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Numb steering (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367764)

blackTT600 07-09-2014 07:19 PM

Numb steering

I hears some where that there were some technical bulletins to address numb steering in early cars? I have a 2010 production 2011 model year and some times it feels very numb. Is there some thing I can do?
Thanks.

rockrau 07-10-2014 10:21 AM

I do not know about the TSBs, but a performance alignment will shurely liven up the steering and handeling.

BMR Sales 07-10-2014 10:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Not completely sure what you mean by "numb", but this (BK022) Front Suspension Bushing Kit would probably help in your quest.....along with a good performance alignment as rockau mentioned.

Chevrolet Customer Svc 07-10-2014 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackTT600 (Post 7805492)
I hears some where that there were some technical bulletins to address numb steering in early cars? I have a 2010 production 2011 model year and some times it feels very numb. Is there some thing I can do?
Thanks.

blackTT600,

Sorry to read about the steering concerns with your Camaro. Although you're seeking thoughts and opinions, I would be happy to communicate this situation with the designated Customer Experience Manager at your preferred dealer if you feel an official diagnosis is necessary. Feel free to message us privately if you'd like to proceed, or discuss this situation further.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care

blackTT600 07-10-2014 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMR Sales (Post 7806896)
Not completely sure what you mean by "numb", but this (BK022) Front Suspension Bushing Kit would probably help in your quest.....along with a good performance alignment as rockau mentioned.

THANK YOU of Your response. Actually I just had that installed, Have not gotten the car back yet. but very excited. I was actually the full race kit! :thumbup:

blackTT600 07-10-2014 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc (Post 7807098)
blackTT600,

Sorry to read about the steering concerns with your Camaro. Although you're seeking thoughts and opinions, I would be happy to communicate this situation with the designated Customer Experience Manager at your preferred dealer if you feel an official diagnosis is necessary. Feel free to message us privately if you'd like to proceed, or discuss this situation further.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care

William,
Thank you as well for your response. I will keep that in mind. I love the car, but sometimes I just wish there was more feeling in the wheel. I don't feel the need to do anything about it right now. But I thought I heard some one talking about this.

blackTT600 07-10-2014 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockrau (Post 7806859)
I do not know about the TSBs, but a performance alignment will shurely liven up the steering and handeling.

I just want more communication from the road through the wheel.

JusticePete 07-12-2014 12:06 PM

The answer is in your alignment specs.

Set the front Toe to 0.00 neutral.
Front Camber -1.00

Rear Toe IN 0.12
Total Rear IN Toe 0.24
Rear Camber -0.00 to -0.70 Less rear camber is better

Your rear tires will last longer and your front tires just a bit less than a more conservative alignment.

Your steering will feel more on center and precise.

A split front lower inner control arm bushing will offer no benefit over the excellent OEM designed steel jacketed rubber bushing with a 'barrel' style ferule that is suspended in about 1/8" of rubber.

Get your 5th Gen aligned to these specs and you think you bought a new steering rack or did suspension mods.

Jrichards73 07-12-2014 01:06 PM

Got the poly bushings on mine and after three trips to get it aligned and wheels balanced I still have a high speed vibration. It isn't terrible but annoying, it seems to be slowly improving so maybe it is a break in?

JusticePete 07-12-2014 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jrichards73 (Post 7812281)
Got the poly bushings on mine and after three trips to get it aligned and wheels balanced I still have a high speed vibration. It isn't terrible but annoying, it seems to be slowly improving so maybe it is a break in?

Your vibration is rotational and not in the suspension.

Out of round wheel, hub or rotor
Improper wheel lug nut torque
Improper balance
Bad tire

wakespeak 07-12-2014 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jrichards73 (Post 7812281)

I second the lug nut torque (140 lbs/ft).

2014CamaroZL1 07-17-2014 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JusticePete (Post 7812170)
The answer is in your alignment specs.

Set the front Toe to 0.00 neutral.
Front Camber -1.00

Rear Toe IN 0.12
Total Rear IN Toe 0.24
Rear Camber -0.00 to -0.70 Less rear camber is better

Your rear tires will last longer and your front tires just a bit less than a more conservative alignment.

Your steering will feel more on center and precise.

A split front lower inner control arm bushing will offer no benefit over the excellent OEM designed steel jacketed rubber bushing with a 'barrel' style ferule that is suspended in about 1/8" of rubber.

Get your 5th Gen aligned to these specs and you think you bought a new steering rack or did suspension mods.

JusticePete,

Can these specs be obtained with stock hardware ?

Or will aftermarket bolts, plates, or such be required ?

Thanks.

JusticePete 07-17-2014 08:33 AM

They can