Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   ZL1 Carbon fiber hood problem (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310208)

christcringle 07-30-2013 05:40 PM

ZL1 Carbon fiber hood problem

4 Attachment(s)
ZL1 Carbon fiber hood problem!

Do you see this problem before?

Look like the fiber seperate from the clear.

G-Oil Guy 07-30-2013 08:54 PM

Yes. This covered under a TSB and will be replaced under warranty if some of the blemishes can't be fixed.

Mine had stress cracks and I got it fixed in a few days and this was at the time that the ECF was on constraint.

Jer4251 07-30-2013 09:27 PM

these cars give off some heat!! im sure that's a good part of the problem.

charlietuna 07-30-2013 09:36 PM

Take it to a dealership they should replace it no issue.

christcringle 08-16-2013 11:40 AM

:emoticon6:Any one see that before?

FSTORG5 08-16-2013 12:35 PM

I am gonig through this with mine now. The clear coat cracked on the edge of the back vents. The dealer took picutes and sent to GM. Waiting for a reply from them.
I don't have pictures but will try and take some this weekend and post.

mrmertz 08-16-2013 04:51 PM

I had the Exact same problem. At first while it was sitting in the garage I took some spray detailed over the area and it failed to budge. Went across it with my fingernail and that's when it occurred to me I was dealing with a blemish of sorts.

Dealer replaced the entire insert. Almost as if specks of fluid during the truck or rail transport from a vehicle above etched the carbon fiber.

TrekGTO 08-16-2013 04:59 PM

Those inserts are expensive, what are the long term after warranty runs out prospects?

G-Oil Guy 08-16-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrekGTO (Post 6906494)
Those inserts are expensive, what are the long term after warranty runs out prospects?

The number of those having problems are only a small percentage of the overall production volumes. I'm sure if there were more this would have been the subject of a recall.

joes407 08-16-2013 11:03 PM

if it has fish eyes or folds in the weave it is not eligible for warranty as those are normal with carbon fiber. if you can feel them with your finger then it is delaminating and they will replace it. im on exposed carbon fiber insert number 4 at 26k miles counting the scratched purple hue one that came on the car from the factory

djnice 08-17-2013 02:15 PM

Wow, you had 3 of them with delamination? That's crazy. I am on my second for that issue.

joes407 08-17-2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djnice (Post 6909332)
Wow, you had 3 of them with delamination? That's crazy. I am on my second for that issue.

actually the one that came on the car was all scratched up upon delivery, the replacement delaminated. then the dealer put the next one on but didn't peel the plastic off until it was installed so when they peeled it it had a foggy haze over the whole thing and a bunch of scratches where they peeled the plastic off and number 4 is sitting at my body shop waiting for me to drop off car

jessrayo 08-17-2013 03:02 PM

There have been a few posts on this carbon fiber topic and I'm just going to throw in my 2 cents. While the carbon fiber clear cover makes it look interesting, it is not nearly as durable as good paint. UV damages the resin and the best protectant is to completely cover it with paint. That is why it costs more to have the carbon fiber exposed.

I want the carbon fiber for weight savings and not vanity. I would rather have it painted because that is more durable and therefore more functional. Like I said, just my 2 cents. I'm wondering if you got close to the end of your warranty if you could get it replaced with a painted one that would last.

G-Oil Guy 08-17-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joes407 (Post 6909360)
actually the one that came on the car was all scratched up upon delivery, the replacement delaminated. then the dealer put the next one on but didn't peel the plastic off until it was installed so when they peeled it it had a foggy haze over the whole thing and a bunch of scratches where they peeled the plastic off and number 4 is sitting at my body shop waiting for me to drop off car

Man, at this point I would have requested the painted one.

I'm still on #2, #1 for me had stress fractures etc in it.

If this one fades or delaminates I'll just request the painted one if I need #3.