Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum

Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Automotive Discussions (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   What is Chevy thinking? (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=337582)

jrock 01-16-2014 08:41 PM

What is Chevy thinking?

Am I alone here?

I just read about the Chevrolet SS. The base price is 45,000 dollars for a 416 horsepower car that looks like a "kinda" sporty (old body style) Impala. The new Impala looks far better than the SS. Did Chevy dedicate all the talent to the Corvette and Impala? What the heck is the market for the SS? People wanting a sports car with four doors are not going to pay 45,000 for an SS. For 10,000 more, they could have a Corvette. If they need four doors, there are so many better looking cars with comparable power.

I'm a little flummoxed on this one. Fill me in if you think differently.

Hamilton2400 01-16-2014 11:54 PM

It seems that the main purpose for creating the SS is for NASCAR. I kinda like the SS. It's a good alternative for someone who needs a family car but wants sports car like power. 10 grand more may get a corvette, but that car wouldn't do for a family.

C7BOB 01-17-2014 12:57 AM

The SS is Australian. It's an update of the Pontiac G8, which was based on the Holden.

FenwickHockey65 01-17-2014 01:48 AM

VF Commodore.

Holden needed an export program, the US market has been complaining ever since the G8/VE Commodore was killed, voila.

In the grand scheme of things, this basically is an Impala SS. Full size, RWD, V8, starting where an LFX Impala LTZ leaves off.

And considering it already beat Charger in a comparison test...it's not the flashiest sports sedan, but it's supposed to attract a more mature audience. A lot of folks think Charger is too garish. Just like the G8, it's a poor man's 5-series.

jrock 01-17-2014 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 (Post 7344034)
VF Commodore.

Holden needed an export program, the US market has been complaining ever since the G8/VE Commodore was killed, voila.

In the grand scheme of things, this basically is an Impala SS. Full size, RWD, V8, starting where an LFX Impala LTZ leaves off.

And considering it already beat Charger in a comparison test...it's not the flashiest sports sedan, but it's supposed to attract a more mature audience. A lot of folks think Charger is too garish. Just like the G8, it's a poor man's 5-series.

Fenwick, I agree for the most part, but the issue is the BASE price of this car is 45,000. The G8 GT was low 30's. The SS won't be a poor man's 5-series. It'll be a high middle class 5-series, and I don't know if it can compete based on the look of the car and the competition in that price bracket.

zimm888 01-17-2014 05:17 AM

G8 GT was low 30's? Didn't think it was that cheap, or I'm sure I would have bought it lol. I liked that car a lot when it came out. I think the SS will be discounted quite a bit especially if it sits on the lot for a model year, and will be a good buy for a guy who needs a back seat daily driver.

Stingray 01-17-2014 06:50 AM

I agree it's just priced too high especially since IMO the exterior styling is a bit on the bland side especially the front & rear fascia plus the LS3 now can be classed as passé... I saw it in person a few times and while I tend to like it overall, I think it would be a better deal at a 35K starting price. I do like the interior and its amenities & layout but for now, it's not worth the $46,670 on this Phantom Black one I saw.

http://www.corvette7.com/forums/atta...1&d=1387049068

http://www.corvette7.com/forums/atta...1&d=1387049223

http://www.corvette7.com/forums/atta...1&d=1387049348

FenwickHockey65 01-17-2014 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrock (Post 7344053)
Fenwick, I agree for the most part, but the issue is the BASE price of this car is 45,000. The G8 GT was low 30's. The SS won't be a poor man's 5-series. It'll be a high middle class 5-series, and I don't know if it can compete based on the look of the car and the competition in that price bracket.

G8 GT also had a crappy, cheap interior and nowhere near the execution the VF/SS has.

You get what you pay for.

Plus G8s were deeply discounted after a while thanks to GM's incompetence at marketing and dealers overstocking product.

Silversled 01-17-2014 09:43 AM

It's a modern day muscle car; big engine performance in an otherwise pedestrian car. Have we lost that here in America?

I've seen the SS. Frankly, I think it is a brilliant car. Then again, my previous car was a 600+hp station wagon....something else we no longer understand here in the US.

CruznCorvette 01-17-2014 09:47 AM

Chevy Police vehicles will be based on this car as well.

FenwickHockey65 01-17-2014 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silversled (Post 7344497)
It's a modern day muscle car; big engine performance in an otherwise pedestrian car. Have we lost that here in America?

I've seen the SS. Frankly, I think it is a brilliant car. Then again, my previous car was a 600+hp station wagon....something else we no longer understand here in the US.

I understand it. Bring it to Cars and Coffee tomorrow morning!

Quote:

Originally Posted by CruznCorvette (Post 7344518)
Chevy Police vehicles will be based on this car as well.

Caprice PPV is a Caprice, not Commodore.

ec1990 01-17-2014 02:46 PM

There's actually very few high powered sedans now a days in the 40k range. The closest you can get is the 300 SRT8, which the SS is much better than. Closer to it is the CTS-V and maybe something from Mercedes AMG that runs in the 60's.

It's a limited production run that has virtually no options and comes loaded.

ec1990 01-17-2014 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrock (Post 7344053)

The Base price is also the top of the line price though.

Jeff7 01-21-2014 01:15 PM

The Australian dollar has strengthen considerably in the past decade. That can partially explain the big sticker. Another question for Chevy is where will they source the car once Holden ceases production of cars in Australia.