Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum

Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   2017 VW Golf R (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=467092)

cal45 09-16-2016 08:36 PM

2017 VW Golf R

2 Attachment(s)
Just started to look at these for a commuter car as I may have to drive 1.5 hrs one way (Orlando to Tampa) into an office a few times a week come 2017.

Anyone have experience with a Golf R? - it is actually a faster & higher end model over the better known GTI model (more $$ too) but doesn't look like a "kid" car.

enzia35 09-17-2016 12:15 AM

MotorTrend just did a Head 2 Head with this and the Focus RS. The Golf was much more docile to drive vs the RS.

Wacko37 09-17-2016 03:54 AM

They are awesome cars! Great power, very capable on track and autocross, and if you get it tuned with a bigger downpipe they are pretty damn fast!

cal45 09-17-2016 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enzia35 (Post 9315759)
MotorTrend just did a Head 2 Head with this and the Focus RS. The Golf was much more docile to drive vs the RS.

Yes, I actually did see that. But two things will keep me away from the Focus RS, one is that I will be putting a lot of miles on the car and I need it to be dependable and the second, which I can't change - no automatic transmission on the RS. Losing my left leg in a motorcycle accident many moons ago has put me in an auto for the rest of my life. ;)

cal45 09-17-2016 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wacko37 (Post 9315822)
They are awesome cars! Great power, very capable on track and autocross, and if you get it tuned with a bigger downpipe they are pretty damn fast!

Yeah, been reading up on them but probably won't go the mod route on it as it will be a highway driver. I do like that it has some "go" and will be able to get up to speed on the highways a lot quicker than a Civic......but agree, they can be made to be quit the "sleeper".

Obzen 09-26-2016 07:55 PM

The R is a great hot hatch. that would be an awesome DD.

ZYBORG 09-26-2016 08:36 PM

Cant go wrong with an R.

fldrummer 09-27-2016 07:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just picked up my '16 R a few months ago and love it. It's still stock, but I'm fighting the urge to tune it, since it's so easy to get more power out of them. I might get a JB1 piggyback tuner, which is removable and therefore undetectable (they've proven to be very reliable too). For just $399, you can add 5 lbs. of boost (~70 hp) and be running low 12s, maybe even break into the 11s with good tires! Get the DSG automatic though, 'cuz the stock clutches are weak and the DSG is much quicker.

Denis 09-27-2016 08:51 AM

For those who havent seen it, was a good H2H

ive always liked the GTI. And the Golf R looks like a great DD that has some balls as well.

stoopid 09-28-2016 01:39 PM

Golf R has a lot going for it. For a daily driver with a bit of fun, the plain GTI is no slouch and can be found much cheaper.

cal45 09-28-2016 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stoopid (Post 9333908)
Golf R has a lot going for it. For a daily driver with a bit of fun, the plain GTI is no slouch and can be found much cheaper.

Yeah, I am finding that out looking at the used market on the web. Just can't get over those plaid seats on the GTI - they all have em. :frown:

Les7311 09-28-2016 07:17 PM

Pocket rocket zingers on steroids......

DRKS1D3 09-29-2016 05:51 AM

Dear GM,
I know it will never happen, but I'm still waiting on my ~250-300hp, 6speed, Cruze SS. It would make a fun DD.

Sincerely,
A Loyal GM Consumer
:chevy:

central limit 09-29-2016 07:27 AM

MK7 Golf is a great platform. They handle absolutely amazingly and feel very refined on the road. Similar to how the Camaro benefits from the Alpha platform used for the ATS/CTS, the Golf is underpinned by VW's MQB that is used for a number of Audi models.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cal45 (Post 9334474)
...Just can't get over those plaid seats on the GTI - they all have em. :frown:

I was under the impression that only the cloth interior GTI (S trim) have plaid seats. My wife's 2015 SE has solid black leather seats. This should be true for Autobahn models as well.

You probably already know this, but the Performance Pack equipped cars are much more desirable, as they have an LSD, bigger brakes, and a nominal 10hp bump in output. You can recognize these by the red "GTI" badage on the back, as well as the nicer looking brakes.

Also, food for thought: some reviewers favor the GTI over the R for daily driving duties because the power band is shifted lower in the rev range, with more usable torque without having to wind it out. Common belief is that the GTI motor has been highly underrated going back a few model years. Bone stock, it is far from slow, and its published 210-220 HP feels far more than 10% on top of a 200hp family car.