Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum

Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Ford brings back the Maverick name for a new compact truck (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=593272)

FarmerFran 06-03-2021 10:21 AM

Ford brings back the Maverick name for a new compact truck

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/f...140034597.html

FenwickHockey65 06-03-2021 10:29 AM

GM needs a reborn S-10. I like my Colorado but I think Maverick's going to hit a sweet spot in the market.

FarmerFran 06-03-2021 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 (Post 11020334)
GM needs a reborn S-10. I like my Colorado but I think Maverick's going to hit a sweet spot in the market.

your opinion...

Maybe it is my perception but GM seems to be lagging behind in these unveilings, you think it is due to the push for EV?

90503 06-03-2021 10:35 AM

Quote:

The older Toyota, Nissan, S-10 small single cab trucks are like gold around here. Anyone that has one is keeping it until the wheels fall off. You can't buy anything like them anymore. Chevy should jump all over these again. They are actually used as utility and work trucks.

FenwickHockey65 06-03-2021 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarmerFran (Post 11020339)
your opinion...

Maybe it is my perception but GM seems to be lagging behind in these unveilings, you think it is due to the push for EV?

Basically it's just poor timing, a lot of these refreshed products we're seeing this year like Equinox/Terrain and Enclave we've already seen a long time ago because they were supposed to go into production last year. COVID delayed a lot of stuff. The next major reveal should be the full size 1500 truck MCE which starts production in September.

In terms of actual brand new product like this, yeah I'd say EV development is causing the stagnant nature of things right now. We saw the 3rd gen Colorado testing last week and from those photos it looks like GM will simply update the 31XX platform probably with the new Global B electronics architecture and a redesigned exterior/interior. I would guess if GM does bring out a Maverick competitor they'll try to leap frog by making it an EV.

Norm Peterson 06-03-2021 11:36 AM

Quote:

Like the Mach E, I guess I would hope that it's a good vehicle in its own right.

But also like the 'E', the powers-that-be at Ford have chosen to steal the name of a coupe/sedan for a completely different sort of vehicle over the 'Ranchero' label that already had a pickup truck-ish image.

Maybe GM will remember the El Camino if they're going to get into resurrecting names from their past for their non-car vehicles . . .

Norm

Bhobbs 06-03-2021 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 (Post 11020343)
Basically it's just poor timing, a lot of these refreshed products we're seeing this year like Equinox/Terrain and Enclave we've already seen a long time ago because they were supposed to go into production last year. COVID delayed a lot of stuff. The next major reveal should be the full size 1500 truck MCE which starts production in September.

In terms of actual brand new product like this, yeah I'd say EV development is causing the stagnant nature of things right now. We saw the 3rd gen Colorado testing last week and from those photos it looks like GM will simply update the 31XX platform probably with the new Global B electronics architecture and a redesigned exterior/interior. I would guess if GM does bring out a Maverick competitor they'll try to leap frog by making it an EV.

GM better not phone in the 3rd gen Colorado. It’s been successful so far but the Bronco and Ranger share the same chassis. Ford could really boost the Ranger’s off-road performance for the next generation with stuff from the Bronco. GM dropped the ball with the Blazer. They could have easily done the Blazer on the Colorado platform and a Trailblazer cross over, like Ford did with the Bronco and Bronco Sport.

KMPrenger 06-03-2021 01:03 PM

I'm not sure what to think of the new Maverick, or for that matter, anything else that other brands may come out with as competitors.

Every time I see someone online talk about how bad they want a true small truck, what they mention about it is the ability to do work. They all want the cheap regular cab with the long bed, or at most the extended cab.

The Maverick will come in crew cab configuration only, and the bed will probably be even smaller than the Ranger's standard bed. So with that in mind, is this really the small truck that everyone on the forums says they want? I applaud Ford for taking a chance, but I don't think so. I'm not saying there isn't a group out there that wants these. But unless space is a high premium, and you still want some sort of a bed, why not just get a Ranger? I guess cost (and probably mileage) will factor to that decision. The Ranger and Colorado/Canyon are not big trucks. Comparable in size to full size trucks from 20 years ago, but they are still not as wide as those trucks were. ( I just looked it up to confirm lol) In terms of height, and in length (with the 6 foot bed) they new mid-size trucks are similar to those old full sizers.

The current full size trucks are huge. I like them, but they are. I can't imagine them getting any bigger over the next generation or two. I think my Colorado is near perfect for me and my uses. Maybe the next gen Ranger and GM twins will grow some, but I don't see them growing much if at all. The next gen GM twins will ride on the same (albeit updated) platform after all.

FenwickHockey65 06-03-2021 01:27 PM

Aaaaand leaked.

https://www.gminsidenews.com/cdn-cgi...eak-jpg.63808/

https://www.gminsidenews.com/cdn-cgi...-05-png.63806/

For what it is, it's not bad, but there's definitely something awkward about the design IMO.

shaffe 06-03-2021 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMPrenger (Post 11020407)
I'm not sure what to think of the new Maverick, or for that matter, anything else that other brands may come out with as competitors.

Every time I see someone online talk about how bad they want a true small truck, what they mention about it is the ability to do work. They all want the cheap regular cab with the long bed, or at most the extended cab.

The Maverick will come in crew cab configuration only, and the bed will probably be even smaller than the Ranger's standard bed. So with that in mind, is this really the small truck that everyone on the forums says they want? I applaud Ford for taking a chance, but I don't think so. I'm not saying there isn't a group out there that wants these. But unless space is a high premium, and you still want some sort of a bed, why not just get a Ranger? I guess cost (and probably mileage) will factor to that decision. The Ranger and Colorado/Canyon are not big trucks. Comparable in size to full size trucks from 20 years ago, but they are still not as wide as those trucks were. ( I just looked it up to confirm lol) In terms of height, and in length (with the 6 foot bed) they new mid-size trucks are similar to those old full sizers.

The current full size trucks are huge. I like them, but they are. I can't imagine them getting any bigger over the next generation or two. I think my Colorado is near perfect for me and my uses. Maybe the next gen Ranger and GM twins will grow some, but I don't see them growing much if at all. The next gen GM twins will ride on the same (albeit updated) platform after all.

I honestly am not sure how well it will do in the residential sector, but if they make a work truck version I could see it being a hit in the commercial side. There are certain times you just need a truck bed but not necessarily a full size. I could see this being perfect for contractors/etc

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 (Post 11020419)
Aaaaand leaked.

https://www.gminsidenews.com/cdn-cgi...eak-jpg.63808/

https://www.gminsidenews.com/cdn-cgi...-05-png.63806/

For what it is, it's not bad, but there's definitely something awkward about the design IMO.

From those few pictures its not awful looking but it looks unproportionate. And something about the front end looks off a bit as well

KMPrenger 06-03-2021 02:14 PM

lol. Well there you go.

Not a bad looking little truck. Side and rear seem decent. I like the interior. I wonder if the new Ranger will be similar inside?

Front feels a bit awkward.

FarmerFran 06-03-2021 02:46 PM

Is that a 3' bed?

snizzle 06-03-2021 03:24 PM

The front is a hot mess. It'll be a success though I bet. Assuming it's a lower cost way to get in a comfortable truck (that doesn't drive/ride like a truck) for the Saturday Lowe's crowd.

KMPrenger 06-03-2021 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaffe (Post 11020436)
...There are certain times you just need a truck bed but not necessarily a full size. I could see this being perfect for contractors/etc..

But that's what I was getting at earlier. Contractors aren't going to want a crew cab (only) truck with a very small bed.

This feels like the re-invention of the Ford Sport Trac, but smaller.