CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   Straight acceleration question. (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=600133)

manders500 12-05-2021 05:00 PM

Straight acceleration question.

Hello, I'm coming from a 86 Mustang with a spool and a performance posi. My 17 ZL1 A10 pushes left when I'm just doing a straight 3rd to 4th pull under mild to heavy acceleration. I assumed that the eLSD would be more locked when straight. Is this normal for these cars? The mustang always went straight unless I broke traction.

Thanks for any advice.

BlaqWhole 12-05-2021 05:11 PM

Is it used or did you buy it new in 2017? If it is pulling then that indicates an alignment issue or something with the steering.

Ernestofg2021 12-05-2021 05:19 PM

Alignment 100%, when i picked up my 19 A10 i had the same issue. Did an alignment and it was gonehttp://https://mail.google.com/mail/...1c0403c323c301

DangerZL1 12-05-2021 05:50 PM

There is a BMR cradle lockout kit that has stiffer bushings you can install. The rear diff bushings flex under load. The 1LE also has stiffer bushings. If you do a search on BMR there’s a lengthy topic about left to right under acceleration and how to address it.

Z OH 6 12-05-2021 06:14 PM

I've heard of this issue mostly on earlier model ZL1s so I don't know if its an issue that comes after some mileage but it does seem that the BMR cradle lockout kit solves it. My 2021 barely had 1500 miles on it when I installed the cradle lockout kit so I can't say if it would have ever developed this issue but I don't have it at all.

D3adch1ld 12-05-2021 06:24 PM

I have a ZLE M6, pushing over 700whp, tires break loose, but the car tails depending on the pitch of the road, which most of the time means the ass goes right. In an even road, it tracks pretty straight when spinning.

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

manders500 12-05-2021 07:05 PM

Thank you all for the input. It actually pushes, like the passenger side wheel is pushing harder than the driver side. I know it's not spinning as I roll into the throttle and not to WOT.

It is used, only 10k miles in it. It brakes straight and rolls straight, normal acceleration is straight and I know the feel of the road unevenness, coming from a manual rack wide tire foxbody,it's definitely not that.

radz28 12-06-2021 10:21 AM

Like was suggested - I'd try an alignment first.

I just completed a lot of rear suspension mods', but haven't gotten many chances to drive the car much since. I'll report back after I get more seat time. I really had problems on DRs, which was the purpose for my mods', but it's a little cold now.

If the alignment doesn't change it, like was, again, already posted, I'd look into at least some cradle lock-outs. If you've ever seen the voids in the OEM bushings, I'm sure you'd come to a similar conclusion on why this is a good mod'.

JMO.

h018871 12-06-2021 06:22 PM

One more thing

since it's used, verify tire sizes are the same - left to right and check tire pressures (check the fronts too). Since it drives straight, normally, tires are most likely ok, but good to check. Otherwise, get it aligned.

SFV1LE 12-06-2021 07:23 PM

Ted Jannetty had this problem when he got his ZL1, he has a ton of experience with many ultra high power muscle cars. He checked alignment and all other potential problems and isolated an issue with his tires which appeared fine.

He replaced the tires and the issue went away.

Gunkk 12-06-2021 10:12 PM

Alignment by a competent shop, then tires.

manders500 12-07-2021 01:14 PM

Thanks all.

The tires look ok and PSI is even.

I ordered the lockout kit and have the car going into the dealership for state inspection. I will have them check the alignment and flash the eLSD with the drag mode update. If the alignment is out I will install the lockout kit first then get it aligned.

SFV1LE 12-07-2021 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manders500 (Post 11106295)
Thanks all.

The tires look ok and PSI is even.

I ordered the lockout kit and have the car going into the dealership for state inspection. I will have them check the alignment and flash the eLSD with the drag mode update. If the alignment is out I will install the lockout kit first then get it aligned.

Ted Jeanetty's tires LOOKED perfect too, that was the problem.

There was no visible sign of an issue, they were defective in some strange way causing this dangerous control issue at WOT.

Only way to diagnose if it's the tires is to get it aligned, and then if it doesn't go away swap tires. I have not heard of an eLSD software version causing this.

BlaqWhole 12-07-2021 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFV1LE (Post 11106323)
Ted Jeanetty's tires LOOKED perfect too, that was the problem.

There was no visible sign of an issue, they were defective in some strange way causing this dangerous control issue at WOT.

Only way to diagnose if it's the tires is to get it aligned, and then if it doesn't go away swap tires. I have not heard of an eLSD software version causing this.

I'm not sure how tires could look perfect but still be defective. If something was off with the metal inside of them then that would be visible especially upon inspection while on a balancer. Or you would see wear on the tread and that could determine a steering issue. But any defect would certainly show up upon visual inspection. No disrespect intended but are you absolutely sure you read his story correctly?