Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   LLT/LFX Engine Oil Cooler (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388107)

MagnumForceGB 12-13-2014 01:31 PM

LLT/LFX Engine Oil Cooler

1 Attachment(s)
So I've been thinking about how to get an oil cooler on my car since I have high oil temps when racing and traditional oil coolers use a sandwich plate to run the lines. While searching for something to help I came across the Traverse Oil Filter Housing, it looks like it will hook up to the side of the engine. From that point instead of a filter, run a remote oil filter adapter that will use a standard oil filter, then run the lines to an oil cooler and then back to the engine.

Cheapest I have found the filter housing is $52, a lot cheaper than what the Camaro's filter housing costs.

Only problem I might see is room, but since it hugs the engine and the adapter plate will be pretty thin, it could work.

Superfly1 12-15-2014 04:55 PM

Interesting idea. Would you run this in addition to the factory filter or run all new remote filter and cooler?

Jason@JacFab 12-15-2014 07:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I wonder if the LF3 oil filter adapter would work. It looks like it's already plumed with lines for an oil cooler...

RubyCamaro 12-15-2014 08:01 PM

:pop2:

MagnumForceGB 12-16-2014 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superfly1 (Post 8115169)
Interesting idea. Would you run this in addition to the factory filter or run all new remote filter and cooler?

New filter, would go with a regular type filter instead off this element type.

Superfly1 12-16-2014 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab (Post 8115461)
I wonder if the LF3 oil filter adapter would work. It looks like it's already plumed with lines for an oil cooler...

Looks like there would be issues with space on the Camaro. Crossmember and/or frame rails could cause issues. It would be hard to know for sure until someone tried though.

mpiersd 12-17-2014 12:15 PM

Oil cool er was available on the 2012 Impala with the LFX.
http://www.tonkinonlineparts.com/pro...e=0&searchTerm=

mpiersd 12-17-2014 12:18 PM

$200 and it sandwiches between the filter and the filter housing. I'm sure with somemore research an adapter that fits the LLT can be found cheaper.

MagnumForceGB 12-18-2014 01:13 PM

Don't know if it would fit, shock tower in the way.

Need a real oil temp sensor to see if is needed, I don't like the calculated on we have. Don't get the oil over 210 and it can't boil off water that condensates.

blackTT600 12-31-2014 03:26 PM

HAHAHA, ok so there was a very old thread about that. Where I was trying to make an oil cooler, I bought that part, and we had all sorts of problems. Ill try to take some pictures of my setup later and post them for ya. They ended up doing a lot of work to that pice to make it fit properly, if you have long tube headers, it becomes even more of a problem. It not as easy as I thought it should have been. They had to mill the in and out oil lines in to the part pictured above, full filter relocation, and like idk 6 feet of line. I love the fully custom setup.

IneedAZ 02-10-2016 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagnumForceGB (Post 8111986)
So I've been thinking about how to get an oil cooler on my car since I have high oil temps when racing and traditional oil coolers use a sandwich plate to run the lines. While searching for something to help I came across the Traverse Oil Filter Housing, it looks like it will hook up to the side of the engine. From that point instead of a filter, run a remote oil filter adapter that will use a standard oil filter, then run the lines to an oil cooler and then back to the engine.

Cheapest I have found the filter housing is $52, a lot cheaper than what the Camaro's filter housing costs.

Only problem I might see is room, but since it hugs the engine and the adapter plate will be pretty thin, it could work.

Did you ever hook up an oil cooler?

MagnumForceGB 02-10-2016 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IneedAZ (Post 8894220)
Did you ever hook up an oil cooler?

Never did, did some research and it is mainly for road racing. Since my little sprints down through track are less than 12 seconds it isn't heating it up too high.

alice 02-11-2016 12:44 PM

4 Attachment(s)
MagnumForce. What is the part number for the oil filter adapter shown at the top of this page and/or the complete model, year, etc. of the application? This looks very interesting! I had to machine my adapter because I didn't think any other casting was available other then the one on the LLT, which is a nightmare, bulky casting with no way to plumb auxiliary oil filter, cooler. This is the one I machined. Thanks for sharing!