Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Buying my first Camaro??? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=420912)

MYLSA 08-24-2015 08:47 AM

Buying my first Camaro???

Hey everyone just joined the forum. This forum looks amazing and full of good information and great members. I have owned many performance vehicles but never a Camaro. I am older (56) and remember lusting over the IROC Camaro's in the 70's...but never pulled the trigger. I did own a 1981 Corvette for a short period so have some Bow Tie experience but now want to buy a Camaro. Thought about a used ZL1 or SS but looking to reitre soon and figured the V6 is a better option...See this listing for AutoNation http://www.autonation.com/tampa-st-p...FC1E32C9208524 and let me know your thoughts as it has everything I think I am looking for as follows:

RS/2LT package
Automatic
Leather
back up camera
Bose
20in wheels
Inferno Orange (hard to tell from pics but looks more redish orange than orange?)
Etc...

So I guess my basic questions are as follows:

1) Any known problems with the 2012 RS models
2) At 323hp does the V6 run pretty good? Would love an SS but trying to watch the MPG being I am retiring soon

Any other insightful info would be great...thanks.

spadz93 08-24-2015 09:19 AM

If you're anything like me (or any of the guys on here), you'll get used to that power, and you'll end up spending more than the cost of an SS to be as fast as one. The SS isn't terrible on gas if you drive it regularly, I suggest going for it. A lot of people end up regretting not getting one off the bat, and usually trade up later on

MYLSA 08-24-2015 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spadz93 (Post 8603218)
If you're anything like me (or any of the guys on here), you'll get used to that power, and you'll end up spending more than the cost of an SS to be as fast as one. The SS isn't terrible on gas if you drive it regularly, I suggest going for it. A lot of people end up regretting not getting one off the bat, and usually trade up later on

Thanks...I may need to keep that in mind. Plan to go drive both this weekend.

Ice-Forever 08-24-2015 10:28 AM

Here is a link to a govt website with fuel economy ratings. You can adjust your mileage at the bottom...believe it defaults to 15k/yr @ ~%55/%45 hwy/city...

I also find those ratings a bit low...I averaged about 26mpg hwy when I did a 14 hour drive straight through to Chicago right after I bought her...now that I have the Catch Can/Clean Side Separator on there I believe it would have gotten a [tiny] bit better...

TL;DR...Based on those numbers, it's about $33/m extra (gas-expense only)...for the additional power/fun/excitement...Absolutely worth it in MY opinion - no questions asked...and especially since you said you used to lust over the IROCs, I can't help but feel as though you would feel as if you were missing out with a v6 - but it's your vehicle, not mine; You really can't go wrong either way :thumbsup::clap2:

On another note...Did Chevy switch to Bose between '11 (Man late 2010)/'12 or something? Mine has Boston in it...just curious...and not necessarily directing this at you, OP, but someone else who can chime in lol.

pickwithaustin 08-24-2015 10:31 AM

If you're a performance car guy, do yourself a favor and go with the V-8 car.

Venomous 08-24-2015 11:00 AM

If your buying used you might as well get the V8. If your looking for an affordable budget friendly brand new Camaro get the V6. Either way youll like what you get.

chuckstacamaro 08-24-2015 11:02 AM

V6 21 to 22 MPG combined average city/highway driving, V8 17 to 20 MPG combined average city/highway driving, but way more fun when you mash the pedal.

Dubscamaro 08-24-2015 11:05 AM

I had my 2014 V6 for not even two years (bought in Nov 2013) and now I'm in a 1LE 2SS. I love the heck out of it and just passed the break in period! Pedal to the floor now. If you want the ZL1 get one especially with retirement on the way you'll need something to go have fun in!!

Welker2 08-24-2015 12:06 PM

:welcome:
The best thing to do is as you're planning, drive both and then decide which meets your needs/wants. :happy0180:

Sandman1969 08-24-2015 01:19 PM

I had a 2014 2LT V6 and with my short commute (about 10 miles one way) I was getting just a hair better than I am getting in my 2015 2SS now. Although, that is with premium. But I am VERY happy moving into the 2SS from the V6.

I am not sure why, and neither was my insurance agent, but my insurance went down a few bucks a month going to the V8. He had no idea why. But I didn't complain.

Get what you want. Can't go wrong with either! Both are are great rides, great safety features, and dependable! :thumbup:

Welcome to Camaro5!

SIN R G 08-24-2015 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i-Guy (Post 8603248)
Thanks...I may need to keep that in mind. Plan to go drive both this weekend.

After you take the test drives you won't need to ask Camaro5 anymore.

Muscle Car Lover 08-24-2015 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welker2 (Post 8603561)
:welcome:
The best thing to do is as you're planning, drive both and then decide which meets your needs/wants. :happy0180:

Agree. Don't fret too much about the gas mileage with the V-8, lay off it and cruise and it's not too bad. Unless you live in a city, then yeah V-6 makes way more sense.