Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Supercharger replacement question (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=600848)

Dave Karl 12-28-2021 02:18 PM

Supercharger replacement question

Can anyone here tell me if the supercharger replacement, part number 12670278 has the upgraded solid isolator in it?

tartagliazl1 12-29-2021 05:18 AM

my replaced sc had the new spring in it. take your belt off and spin the hub back and forth if you feel the spring bounce, then no

okjuvkam 12-29-2021 08:10 AM

2 Attachment(s)
No, mine was replaced with that partnumber march 2020
It had this pringloaded isolator packed with grease when i opened it in december

Attachment 1088343

Attachment 1088344

Ole Kristian

diddies 12-29-2021 10:07 AM

When I had mine replaced 2 years ago, it was replaced with a spring-loaded isolator. I immediately the snout off when I got home and changed it. I asked the dealer to change it and they wouldn't.

HDRDTD 12-29-2021 01:33 PM

IIRC, the original coupler was spring-loaded and not greased.
Eaton then changed the coupler to a solid one after all the complaints.
Then later on Eaton changed back to a spring loaded version that was packed with grease to help deaden the sound.

No I have no dates for each change.

The coupler was spring-loaded to absorb some of the gear chatter caused by the lobes as they spin up and down.

Shodown 12-29-2021 07:28 PM

No. GM in their infinite wisdom will replace your blower with another spring isolator.

Option 1: Sweet talk the tech at the dealer to put in a new solid isolator.
Option 2: Have the dealer put in a blower with shitty isolator and change it yourself when you get home. It's not difficult. I did it in less than 3 hours by myself.

Of note, I've read most guys will get way fewer miles out of the blower/spring isolator after replacement than they did with the factory blower/spring isolator. My point is that it will happen again but sooner with the new spring isolator.

KaBoom1701 12-31-2021 11:45 AM

Just replaced mine....

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598502

Dave Karl 01-01-2022 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shodown (Post 11114188)
No. GM in their infinite wisdom will replace your blower with another spring isolator.

Option 1: Sweet talk the tech at the dealer to put in a new solid isolator.
Option 2: Have the dealer put in a blower with shitty isolator and change it yourself when you get home. It's not difficult. I did it in less than 3 hours by myself.

Of note, I've read most guys will get way fewer miles out of the blower/spring isolator after replacement than they did with the factory blower/spring isolator. My point is that it will happen again but sooner with the new spring isolator.

Thanks for the info. I tried sweet talking the dealer to put a new solid isolator in but they said they couldn't do it. You said it's easy to do. Don't you have to pull the complete supercharger off to get at the snout bolts or can you just loosen it and pry it up.

HDRDTD 01-01-2022 07:30 PM

Not sure of now, but in the early days of the SC coupler failures, the entire was replaced as it was a single replaceable unit made by and sent back to Eaton as they made the unit.

Also, the original TSB notice for the 'rattle' issues, If you had already replaced the coupler, GM would reimburse you for the cost.

Again, no idea if that offer is still available.

Shodown 01-01-2022 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Karl (Post 11115210)
Thanks for the info. I tried sweet talking the dealer to put a new solid isolator in but they said they couldn't do it. You said it's easy to do. Don't you have to pull the complete supercharger off to get at the snout bolts or can you just loosen it and pry it up.

Yes the blower has to be completely removed. You might be able to pry off the snout by just prying it up, but if you can do that it's much easier to simply pull the whole SC out.

The most difficult part is getting the back 4 bolts of the SC lid because they are tucked way back under the cowl. However, you could drill holes for easier access (the plastic shroud covers them back up).

Don't over torque the blower bolts. That happens a lot because the manual calls for the torque specs in in/lbs not ft/lbs.

SlingShot 01-03-2022 09:18 AM

Only the first 1.5 years were replaced with the solid isolator. Basically the price for GM was much higher. So they made the decision to just pack the hell out of the spring with grease. I had mine done in 2012, when the TSB first came out so mine is solid.

Dave Karl 01-04-2022 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shodown (Post 11115238)
Yes the blower has to be completely removed. You might be able to pry off the snout by just prying it up, but if you can do that it's much easier to simply pull the whole SC out.

The most difficult part is getting the back 4 bolts of the SC lid because they are tucked way back under the cowl. However, you could drill holes for easier access (the plastic shroud covers them back up).

Don't over torque the blower bolts. That happens a lot because the manual calls for the torque specs in in/lbs not ft/lbs.

So this also means all new gaskets or gasket kit????

1JEWLDSSRS 01-04-2022 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlingShot (Post 11115668)
Only the first 1.5 years were replaced with the solid isolator. Basically the price for GM was much higher. So they made the decision to just pack the hell out of the spring with grease. I had mine done in 2012, when the TSB first came out so mine is solid.

Man o man that's just a really nice color you picked for your Camaro!! Awesome bro!! Very cool in the sun.. :thumbup::thumbup:

Shodown 01-04-2022 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Karl (Post 11116136)
So this also means all new gaskets or gasket kit????

No. It's just black RTV between the snout and blower body. You could replace the gasket at the throttle body but I reused mine with no issues.