Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum

Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Costco Gas (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=597122)

Nilly Welson 09-09-2021 12:08 AM

Costco Gas

Costco Hi test gas any good for the SS? Anyone know who makes it? Costco in my area selling for $3.09. Next lowest in my area is a BP for $3.79. Then 3.89 from a Shell. I will pay for the brand name stuff unless I know Costco is on par. Costco membership is $30 per year. I will join if the gas is good.:twitch:

UnknownJinX 09-09-2021 12:14 AM

No personal experience or concrete data, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I have a friend with a Mazda6 turbocharged 2.5 engine. He tried Costco premium gas and he thinks that the engine doesn't react as well to it as it does to Shell Nitro+ when he drives the car spiritedly(he took after me when it comes to driving, and I drive any car spiritedly).

It is technically Top Tier, so there is that. Someone with some data on knocking and timing should be able to speak more.

2SS Capt 09-09-2021 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nilly Welson (Post 11067813)
Costco Hi test gas any good for the SS? Anyone know who makes it? Costco in my area selling for $3.09. Next lowest in my area is a BP for $3.79. Then 3.89 from a Shell. I will pay for the brand name stuff unless I know Costco is on par. Costco membership is $30 per year. I will join if the gas is good.:twitch:

Costco gas is "Top Tier" gas, probably the same stuff you are getting at those other stations... I've been running it in my SS pretty much exclusively (4,700 miles), I ran a few tanks of Shell V-Power when I first got it and can't tell any difference from that to the Costco Premium... This is my "Toy Car" so I spare no expense and am very picky...

I absolutely would not run anything that is not Top Tier...

AZIROC 09-09-2021 01:04 AM

As 2SS stated, Costco is a "top tier" gas. Plenty of documentation out there on it.

Aaron07 09-09-2021 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2SS Capt (Post 11067823)
Costco gas is "Top Tier" gas, probably the same stuff you are getting at those other stations... I've been running it in my SS pretty much exclusively (4,700 miles), I ran a few tanks of Shell V-Power when I first got it and can't tell any difference from that to the Costco Premium... This is my "Toy Car" so I spare no expense and am very picky...

Agree with all of this

jamala00 09-09-2021 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2SS Capt (Post 11067823)

+1... Top Tier gas is all I put in any of my vehicles.

avalonandl 09-09-2021 05:33 AM

Your good to go. Put it in both my 6.2's premium

Martinjlm 09-09-2021 05:57 AM

Until my SS went on a corn intensive diet, I bought all of my local gas from Costco. As others have stated, Costco gas is Top Tier, and in my area $0.50 - 0.60 less per gallon than corner stations, whether they are Top Tier or not. I'll stake my car running problem free and with damn good performance for about 4 years on Costco Premium as proof positive that it is good stuff.

The other cars in our household continue to run on Costco gas. Just not premium.

Viper-6 09-09-2021 06:13 AM

I don't have a lot of miles on it yet but I run my 2021 ZL1 on Costco Premium. Only about 4k miles so far. I also ran it in my tuned Explorer Sport and was pushing about 450hp. So far its been great and the cost of their premium is worth the membership cost alone.

Walkure 09-09-2021 06:18 AM

24,000 miles using Costco almost exclusively. No problems at all.

Hops 09-09-2021 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walkure (Post 11067867)
24,000 miles using Costco almost exclusively. No problems at all.

that's almost exactly me! No issues at 25000.

I figure i've saved at least $750 using Costco vs local premium fuel prices. Don't really go out of my way for filling up the other car that uses regular. The price difference isn't as much.

Twizzty 09-09-2021 09:20 AM

I've used Costco premium in my performance vehicles for years and several of my friends do also without any issues. Somehow all of that money we saved still found a way to make it into our cars though. :)

VR Baron 09-09-2021 09:43 AM

I ran it once and runs the same as with Chevron. Problem in my area the lines are 20 minutes long and I get impatient..lol. I do need to use it more as the price difference is 60/70 cents less. Also A friend and fellow autocrosser has run it for years in his SS 1le and no issues.

SSDan 09-09-2021 09:47 AM

I'll jump om the Costco wagon. I use nothing but and have used 32000 miles worth of their premium fuel with no issues or concern. I'm saving .50 - .75 per gallon. Plus I know its fresh fuel as they sell a lot of it. Thus their fuel does not sit in the underground tanks very long.

OP - buy it, save the money and get excellent fuel.