CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   ZL1 A10 Transmission Question (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=604656)

Camaroking98 04-22-2022 08:33 PM

ZL1 A10 Transmission Question

Hey guys, I just bought an A10 ZL1 a few days ago. Tonight I finally had the chance to do some spirited driving and I wanted to get a few pulls in. To my dismay, manual mode didn't seems to be working for me.

What did "work" was if I mashed my foot to the floor it would go into performance shift mode, stick at about 4k rpms or so and then I'd hit it.

Sure that was fun...but I wasn't able to actually use the paddle to downshift.

Here is how I TRIED to get it in manual mode.

1. I knocked it to the left from regular drive to be in "manual" mode.
2. I clicked downshift (nothing happened)
3. I held downshift for a few seconds (at least 3) and to my surprise, again nothing happened.

I've used paddles before in my 5th gen camaro and in my recent T/A 392 I traded in for this.

I feel absolutely dumb right now, but is there something wrong with my process or something wrong with the car?

TIA!

raptor5244 04-22-2022 09:22 PM

FYI, you don't have to mash the throttle to get into performance shift mode. Just make sure the car is in Sport mode and then simply quick tap the throttle, give it about 3/4 or so real quick and you will activate the performance shift mode.

As for the paddle shifting, you can use the paddles while in manual mode or auto mode. Just start cruising normally and then click the left paddle and note the gear change in the dash, click again to downshift again, click the right paddle to upshift.

If you pull the left paddle and hold it, it will attempt to downshift into the lower gear possible based on you speed. If you were already in performance shift mode then maybe that is why you didn't notice any change when you pulled the paddle?

Camaroking98 04-27-2022 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raptor5244 (Post 11164606)
FYI, you don't have to mash the throttle to get into performance shift mode. Just make sure the car is in Sport mode and then simply quick tap the throttle, give it about 3/4 or so real quick and you will activate the performance shift mode.

As for the paddle shifting, you can use the paddles while in manual mode or auto mode. Just start cruising normally and then click the left paddle and note the gear change in the dash, click again to downshift again, click the right paddle to upshift.

If you pull the left paddle and hold it, it will attempt to downshift into the lower gear possible based on you speed. If you were already in performance shift mode then maybe that is why you didn't notice any change when you pulled the paddle?

Yeah, I mean I've tried those things and I've gone through the owners manual doing it by the book lol. This has got to be some kinda computer/trans issue. I'm thinking it should be covered under the powertrain warranty since it's technically trans related.

Taking it to a local dealer next tuesday. Hopefully this is all figured out by the time I take it my 1000 mile move across the country lol.

Vigilante375 04-27-2022 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camaroking98 (Post 11166468)
Yeah, I mean I've tried those things and I've gone through the owners manual doing it by the book lol. This has got to be some kinda computer/trans issue. I'm thinking it should be covered under the powertrain warranty since it's technically trans related.

Taking it to a local dealer next tuesday. Hopefully this is all figured out by the time I take it my 1000 mile move across the country lol.

Are there any mods done to the car or were any mods ever done to the car?

raptor5244 04-27-2022 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camaroking98 (Post 11166468)

Yeah, it should be not be difficult. Normally, you don't need to go into any modes or anything. You should just be able to upshift and downshift and you will see the current gear displayed in place of the "D" when in full auto mode. Now it will protect you from downshifting if to a lower gear if it will cause an over-rev situation but that is about it.

Camaroking98 05-02-2022 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vigilante375 (Post 11166484)
Are there any mods done to the car or were any mods ever done to the car?

Not to my knowledge. Everything under the hood looks stock. Only difference is the tires were replaced. Sales guy said it was fully stock as well and I have confirmed power train warranty still on the vin.

I'm taking it in in the morning. Maybe just a computer flash for the trans to do manual mode?

Is that covered under power train warranty you think?

Camaroking98 05-02-2022 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raptor5244 (Post 11166594)
Yeah, it should be not be difficult. Normally, you don't need to go into any modes or anything. You should just be able to upshift and downshift and you will see the current gear displayed in place of the "D" when in full auto mode. Now it will protect you from downshifting if to a lower gear if it will cause an over-rev situation but that is about it.

Exactly, has to be an easy fix, but knowing my luck...I feel like I'm about to get F***ed.

SATINSTEEL1LE 05-02-2022 07:38 PM

Yeah the paddles work in both normal and manual mode. If you use the paddles in normal mode, they will shift the car up and down but the car will take back over if you try something stupid or stop using the paddles. In manual mode it will be full manual except it wont let you lug the car in too low of a gear. Something is wrong with yours if they dont work at all or only in manual mode.

Camaroking98 05-03-2022 10:29 AM

Update:

So the car literally started working properly in manual mode on the way to the dealer. I definitely looked like an idiot.

Says if it happens again I likely won't be covered under the warranty though because it's a computer issue.

Camaroking98 05-03-2022 10:30 AM

Idk why it started working though, don't get me wrong, I'm glad it did...and hope it stays that way...but I literally didn't do anything different. It just started working how it's supposed to.

radz28 05-03-2022 12:22 PM

Is it possible it was just relearning your driving? I know there was a time the TCM would "learn" driving habits (apparently), but don't know if this extended to this generation? I'd think that wouldn't have anything to do with what you're experiencing, but just throwing it out there.

Camaroking98 05-03-2022 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radz28 (Post 11169328)
Is it possible it was just relearning your driving? I know there was a time the TCM would "learn" driving habits (apparently), but don't know if this extended to this generation? I'd think that wouldn't have anything to do with what you're experiencing, but just throwing it out there.

That's a very interesting piece of info. I didn't know that was a thing. It could be I guess.

Just wondering how/why the car would do that for me. It was used. Had 8400 miles on it when I got it.

Didn't know the car knows about owners switiching.

Blackbyrd 05-03-2022 02:51 PM

Changing out a dead battery can cause the ecm to relearn.

Have that problem with my firebird since it doesn't get drove as frequently and I'm not great at remembering to throw a battery tender on it

Camaroking98 05-03-2022 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackbyrd (Post 11169404)
Changing out a dead battery can cause the ecm to relearn.

Have that problem with my firebird since it doesn't get drove as frequently and I'm not great at remembering to throw a battery tender on it

Thanks for the info. The car is a 2019 and only had 8400 miles when I purchased. I guess there is a possibility that the dealer or someone right before them replaced the battery since it seems the car did a lot of sitting around before I got my hands on it for a DD. That type of scenario could explain why it took a while. I hope you're right. Thank you again.