Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum

Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ask the Camaro Team (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=309)
-   -   Launch control stress on driveline. (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540622)

RobbyBeefcake87 10-15-2018 08:49 AM

Launch control stress on driveline.

Probably won't get answered but I would like some information on the launch control feature, not a how to, but the stress it puts on the drivetrain and his recommendations on frequency of use.

mlee 12-09-2018 04:19 PM

Not a bad question

Umbriel 12-10-2018 11:15 AM

Probably less than a launch with it off I would imagine.

RobbyBeefcake87 12-20-2018 10:44 AM

I would think that a computer controller launch control should be easier on the drivetrain with all the torque management going on. However it definately feels a lot harder on components than slipping the clucth from 2k or so or leaving from idle/close to idle.

I had an elsd issue after a few launch control uses. The issue was most likely related to and stemmed from a botched diff oil change I had the day before but still some info on this would offer peace of mind or provide caution.

Norm Peterson 12-21-2018 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 (Post 10389275)
I would think that a computer controller launch control should be easier on the drivetrain with all the torque management going on. However it definately feels a lot harder on components than slipping the clucth from 2k or so or leaving from idle/close to idle.

Relative to side-stepping the clutch @ 5000 rpm, how much gentler does LC appear to be to you? Does it permit virtually unlimited wheelspin, or does it rein that back in as soon as it senses it (like, maybe even cause a bog)?

Fatigue is a cumulative thing that's sensitive to stress - if at "X" stress you get "Y" number of occurrences, at 2X stress you might only get 0.1Y cycles, possibly fewer than half of that. Frequency of occurrence is irrelevant to fatigue life, but would show up in component life as measured on the calendar.

Norm

RobbyBeefcake87 12-25-2018 01:26 AM

LC

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson (Post 10389976)
Relative to side-stepping the clutch @ 5000 rpm, how much gentler does LC appear to be to you? Does it permit virtually unlimited wheelspin, or does it rein that back in as soon as it senses it (like, maybe even cause a bog)?

Fatigue is a cumulative thing that's sensitive to stress - if at "X" stress you get "Y" number of occurrences, at 2X stress you might only get 0.1Y cycles, possibly fewer than half of that. Frequency of occurrence is irrelevant to fatigue life, but would show up in component life as measured on the calendar.

Norm

It's quite a bit gentler than side stepping the clucth. Besides the initial bite (which isn't terrible but you feel it some) it feels kind of gentle relatively speaking and doesn't really allow for much wheel spin. You get a little on unprepped surfaces ofcourse but not much. I've never had it big using launch control, only when I slip it myself and mess up.