Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   USA - California (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   California Testing for ECU Tunes During Smog Checks (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=595193)

Mojave13 07-20-2021 10:27 PM

California Testing for ECU Tunes During Smog Checks

Details are scarce, but this has potential to be a dozy for those of us tuned. How this state implements this new law at your local SMOG shop and its effect is going to interesting. Costly for some.

I’ve run my set-up through two (2) DMV registrations that required SMOG check. So four years or there abouts; no flags with these mod's. I’m due for SMOG in December it’ll be sad event should Camaro not pass due to new law

May the force be with anyone who’s tuned California Will Start Testing for ECU Tunes During Smog Checks Starting Next Week :rules:

morepowerjoe 07-21-2021 03:18 AM

I hear yah. Like I said in another post I think that California has gone too far. I don't know how you live there.

DRC69 07-21-2021 11:38 AM

Hi All,
I saw that about the ECU tunes. Not a big deal, just will have to "re-flash" back.
But I will be careful about what I buy and install.
Must have an EO #.

redrum_maro 07-21-2021 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRC69 (Post 11043343)
Hi All,
I saw that about the ECU tunes. Not a big deal, just will have to "re-flash" back.
But I will be careful about what I buy and install.
Must have an EO #.

Its a little more than that as they are testing for CVN/checksum, some tuning software may not reset this and will not match the stock value

DRC69 07-22-2021 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redrum_maro (Post 11043374)
Its a little more than that as they are testing for CVN/checksum, some tuning software may not reset this and will not match the stock value

I didn't know that. I guess I will have to wait and see.
Thanks for the info.

shu92870 07-23-2021 12:08 AM

May be time to get a cheap hi mileage 2010 v6 on cheap.
Use that one as registration and keep my track happy 1LE.
Do cops really check a VIN if it’s the same car and color?
If so it would be a bad day.

caper 07-30-2021 06:38 PM

ok, but my carb legal system, came with a canned tune...so would it pass? - what if it was retuned since then...would it still pass?

KaBoom1701 10-23-2021 11:19 AM

I just went through this myself..... first test failed due to tune.

You'll need to reflash ECU back to stock tune and depending on your mods reinstall OEM parts. Stock Air Box, Injectors, Exhaust manifolds and cats are the min.

Also after the reflash you'll need to complete the GM drive cycle in order to reset all the DTC codes and sensors. 100 mile drive might do it but you can complete it in 15-25mins if you follow the procedure.

Glad I saved all my stock parts.

smwalker 08-14-2022 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojave13 (Post 11043096)
I’m due for SMOG in December it’ll be sad event should Camaro not pass due to new law

Anything to report Mojave? Get through OK? have to change anything?

smwalker 08-14-2022 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caper (Post 11048012)
ok, but my carb legal system, came with a canned tune...so would it pass? - what if it was retuned since then...would it still pass?

If it is part of a CARB legal kit chances are they have that profile in the database. But if you changed it from what the Aftermarket company gave you that would change the CVN and be a fail. Would have to revert back to the original Aftermarket authorized file or the factory GM file.

102SS 08-14-2022 04:54 AM

Buy a second PCM and leave it stock for testing.

PoppaHoss 08-15-2022 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morepowerjoe (Post 11043139)
I hear yah. Like I said in another post I think that California has gone too far. I don't know how you live there.

Born and Raised Getting out as soon as I am able ..... trust me!!!! F@ck Ca!!!

morepowerjoe 08-15-2022 02:18 PM

Good for you. Just don't come to Texas. Just kidding your welcome here.

Mojave13 09-11-2022 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smwalker (Post 11214588)
Anything to report Mojave? Get through OK? have to change anything?

Hey smwalker, hope you found solution to issue.

My mod situation was bleak and discovered no two ways around OBDII. I visited with two performance shops to include original engine builder. Went to multiple local corner SMOG shops. The engine builder lost their contact at DMV that could check-a-box for $500. Every local SMOG shop telling me they unable to not maneuver around plugging into OBDII

So it boiled down to 1) Supercharge using its CARB approved tune 2) Revert to stock.

Each workaround was expensive to implement on eleven year old vehicle. So I went with more expensive option 6th Gen 1LE and reason not update thread. Zero plans to move out of the Golden state so will not mod anything that isn't approved (e.g. turbo/supercharge) or easily revertible