CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Can the C7 Corvette keep-up with the Camaro?? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=486156)

speeddemonta 03-01-2017 04:12 PM

Can the C7 Corvette keep-up with the Camaro??

The Camaro folks at GM sure have stepped-up their game recently. Starting with the 2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 and now the addition for 2018 model year Chevrolet ZL1 Camaro with the 1LE. I just read a rumor [GM Authority/Car & Driver] that a naturally aspirated 5.5 liter small block V8 will push 700 hp and is supposedly being readied for the next Z/28 with an LT6 designation.

I am surprised that the Chevrolet Division and corporate GM are letting the Camaro in many ways 'out duel ' the Corvette. Am wondering what the folks at Corvette plans are? After all, Corvette is their premium sports car. I have heard rumors of a 2018 Corvette ZR1 and of course a mid engine Corvette.

Has anyone heard plans to add the 10-speed automatic [used in the ZL1] or up the horsepower in the 2018 Corvette GRAND SPORT???

I am interested in everyone's opinions and analysis.
THANKS

Megahurtz 03-01-2017 04:25 PM

Might want to rethink a bit. The Corvette is lighter and out handles the Camaro.

Corvette Z06 w/Z07 package out performs the ZL1 everywhere. Not sure how much the 1LE ZL1 closes the gap.

Corvette Grandsport out performs the 1SS 1LE everywhere.

Corvette is also working on the C8 and ZR1 both which will out perform the Camaro.

I've had multiple Corvettes and Camaros and I love my 2017 SS, but hands down the Corvettes are always going to be a step ahead.

WhyUMad1LE 03-01-2017 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megahurtz (Post 9588508)
Might want to rethink a bit. The Corvette is lighter and out handles the Camaro.

Corvette Z06 w/Z07 package out performs the ZL1 everywhere. Not sure how much the 1LE ZL1 closes the gap.

Corvette Grandsport out performs the 1SS 1LE everywhere.

Corvette is also working on the C8 and ZR1 both which will out perform the Camaro.

I've had multiple Corvettes and Camaros and I love my 2017 SS, but hands down the Corvettes are always going to be a step ahead.

There is some overlap though with ZL1 vs Grand Sport, 1LE vs Z51, SS vs Base Corvette.

JaxChris 03-01-2017 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megahurtz (Post 9588508)
Corvette Z06 w/Z07 package out performs the ZL1 everywhere.

Z06 does everything faster.... including hitting heatsoak threshold and engaging limp mode =)~

2016SS 03-01-2017 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaxChris (Post 9588725)
Z06 does everything faster.... including hitting heatsoak threshold and engaging limp mode =)~

This is true it would over heat and the ZL1 would just keep lapping.

11 coolers! Car & driver burned 6 sets of tires in four days and never saw heat soak once in the ZL1. Can't say the same for the well you know :headbang:

Donner 03-01-2017 07:07 PM

Quote:

Good one...

c4racer 03-01-2017 07:54 PM

Corvette is faster but at least they no longer de-rate the vette engine when it goes in the camaro. That's a good thing !

Bigdog9586 03-01-2017 08:02 PM

I've had a C7 and 0 to 60 on mine was a half second faster than my SS 50. And both of them seem like I'm driving a Prius compared to my C7 ZO6 I could get a 3.1 0 to 60 with 8auto 3/4 tank gas, stock tires at 33lbs on a 85 degree day. I'm sure the ZL1 time of 3.5 was with a race driver and very little gas on a drag strip with the tires set up properly. I wanted my times on all the cars as if I was heading home from work with plenty of gas and tires like I normally drive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by speeddemonta (Post 9588472)
The Camaro folks at GM sure have stepped-up their game recently. Starting with the 2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 and now the addition for 2018 model year Chevrolet ZL1 Camaro with the 1LE. I just read a rumor [GM Authority/Car & Driver] that a naturally aspirated 5.5 liter small block V8 will push 700 hp and is supposedly being readied for the next Z/28 with an LT6 designation.

I am surprised that the Chevrolet Division and corporate GM are letting the Camaro in many ways 'out duel ' the Corvette. Am wondering what the folks at Corvette plans are? After all, Corvette is their premium sports car. I have heard rumors of a 2018 Corvette ZR1 and of course a mid engine Corvette.

Has anyone heard plans to add the 10-speed automatic [used in the ZL1] or up the horsepower in the 2018 Corvette GRAND SPORT???

I am interested in everyone's opinions and analysis.
THANKS

CamaroBody 03-01-2017 08:02 PM

I wanted a Corvette or Tesla before the 16 Camaro was announced. The configuration price for my ideal Corvette was somewhere around 70k before tax versus the Camaro at 48k. The Camaro had EVERYTHING I wanted down to the color, technology, Bose Audio, heated steering wheel, cooled seats, price, insurance (I could name more). It was everything I wanted for 20k less and I got more in some respect. Plus some girls relate Corvettes to Barbie and don't like the guys who drive them for that specific reason:/

Bigdog9586 03-01-2017 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhyUMad1LE (Post 9588581)
There is some overlap though with ZL1 vs Grand Sport, 1LE vs Z51, SS vs Base Corvette.

And on the Vette when in track mode and you push the stabil button twice to go to comp mode you then get 5 comp modes which you don't get on the Camaro. Maybe you get on the ZL1. That I can't comment on.
Overall the Camaro will be close to the Vette but a lot easier to live with as a daily driver and a whole lot quieter and comfort is twice as good. My ZO6 was like riding on a lumber wagon. No fun on a long trip and livable around town. That's why I got rid of them and went to Camaro. Plus more options that don't even come on the Vette. Like blind spot mirrors and the backup sensors, heated seats that work, and a heated steering wheel all not on a Vette.

WhyUMad1LE 03-01-2017 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdog9586 (Post 9588951)
And on the Vette when in track mode and you push the stabil button twice to go to comp mode you then get 5 comp modes which you don't get on the Camaro. Maybe you get on the ZL1. That I can't comment on.
Overall the Camaro will be close to the Vette but a lot easier to live with as a daily driver and a whole lot quieter and comfort is twice as good. My ZO6 was like riding on a lumber wagon. No fun on a long trip and livable around town. That's why I got rid of them and went to Camaro. Plus more options that don't even come on the Vette. Like blind spot mirrors and the backup sensors, heated seats that work, and a heated steering wheel all not on a Vette.

1LE and ZL1 have 5 stage PTM as well. The ZL1 also has custom launch control.

But I just use sport mode -> press trac off twice for plain old competitive driving mode, it feels the most natural to me.

Joe's_cool_1le 03-01-2017 08:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yuppers!

Megahurtz 03-01-2017 09:15 PM

Quote:

That was changed in 2017.

Megahurtz 03-01-2017 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhyUMad1LE (Post 9588581)

Of course there is. I never said there was not.