Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The myth of winter driving. (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99931)

Coldpants 08-11-2010 07:29 AM

The myth of winter driving.

I drove my car all winter with people here aghast that I was using my car as a car. Snow, Ice the whole thing. Washed the car as often as possible and had no issues. This summer however every few weeks there is some new scratch or chip I have to deal with. So the moral of the story. Drive your Camaro in the winter and if your gonna park it do it in summer. This gives u the added benefit of a 8month driving season up north.

OUTATIME 08-11-2010 07:49 AM

I would have thought it would get more chips in the winter - I'm more worried about that than the handling :(

Sterling 08-11-2010 08:54 AM

I drove mine all winter and didn't see my first chip until this summer too. Although I don't think rock chips are the reason people aren't driving theirs in the winter.

deljaso 08-11-2010 08:59 AM

I'm right there with you, driving my car in the winter, too.
The added benefit is that it's a lot easier to break the Pirellis loose (though you probably don't have that problem).

Russell James 08-11-2010 09:00 AM

There is no myth to winter driving around MI. My car looks showroom new thanks to being parked Dec - March. I know a few friends that drove theirs everyday (and got stuck several times) and there cars look like hell, inside and out. No thanks, that's what the 4x4 is for.

Joemaro 08-11-2010 09:00 AM

I have also certainly experienced more rock chips this summer than over the winter.

skuttduck 08-11-2010 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell James (Post 2206714)
There is no myth to winter driving around MI. My car looks showroom new thanks to being parked Dec - March. I know a few friends that drove theirs everyday (and got stuck several times) and there cars look like hell, inside and out. No thanks, that's what the 4x4 is for.

I drove mine past winter. I have a total of about 6 chips on my car. I'm not sure if the chips happened because of the winter, or my October drive down to Florida and back.

OUTATIME 08-11-2010 09:14 AM

Well, depending on your area, you have some pretty large salt particles on the road that fly up wayyy more frequently. I remember freaking out in my last car since I was sitting in a left turn lane waiting for the light and I see a salt truck coming up and there was nothing I could do to protect myself from it . . .

SoFlaZ 08-11-2010 09:14 AM

It is a myth...In FL :sm0:

motorhead 08-11-2010 09:18 AM

camaro as winter car= a very large fail.

E.T. 08-11-2010 09:20 AM

Biggest problem for me is replacing the damn summer tires that came with the car. I'll also be driving through the winter because, 1. It's my only car, and 2. I bought the car to drive/enjoy it. :)

Nutbutt 08-11-2010 09:29 AM

Used mine right through the winter with no problems, no chips at all. Steelies with scorpion snows and the Camaro handles surprisingly well ! It was bought to be a daily driver and thats how its being used. I feel sorry for you guys that don't want to use them in the winter.
Key to using the car in the winter is keeping it clean and staying off the highways during and right after the storms, really not all that difficult.

ScottyB911 08-11-2010 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nutbutt (Post 2206788)
Used mine right through the winter with no problems, no chips at all. Steelies with scorpion snows and the Camaro handles surprisingly well ! It was bought to be a daily driver and thats how its being used. I feel sorry for you guys that don't want to use them in the winter.
Key to using the car in the winter is keeping it clean and staying off the highways during and right after the storms, really not all that difficult.

I wondered how those scorpions would do. I had some Pirelli "winter sport" tires on my RX8 and it didnt do very well in the snow at all. I pay $30 a month for unlimited car washes at the place by my house so I think with true snow/ice tires winter driving would be alright...

gr8daneh 08-11-2010 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OUTATIME (Post 2206743)
Well, depending on your area, you have some pretty large salt particles on the road that fly up wayyy more frequently. I remember freaking out in my last car since I was sitting in a left turn lane waiting for the light and I see a salt truck coming up and there was nothing I could do to protect myself from it . . .

+1, the salt they throw on the roads here in Utah is in large quantity. I fear the corrosion aspect...:(