Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   My 7 year old son decided to clean the snow off my car... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=349327)

GYac 03-25-2014 05:02 PM

My 7 year old son decided to clean the snow off my car...

....and he used a shovel with a mental lip. I cant be mad at him for trying to help out his daddy, however it has put me in a spot. So there are MANY scratches of varrying size, depth, and length on every door & pannel accept the front end. I took it to the body shop to get it looked at and they said since almost all are through the clear coat and paint it will need to be 90% repainted. I took it to another and they said the same thing and asked a close friend who does body work, annnnnnd you guessed it. All esitmates were 3800-4200 range. So here is where I'm at.

Option one- use touch up paint, seal it and it looks like garbage.
Option two- pay out of pocket- not really wanting to do this.
Option three- i talked to my insurance broker and it can be claimed, however it will go on as a "collision" claim becaues "an object impacted your car", (this is an overpaid lawyer writing these policies). I have a 250 deductible. This will likely increase insurance payments by 20% by my research. Looking at this option i have considered having them repaint the flat black, I have a obsession with flat black cars. I will likely spend for the front clip to be repainted so its all from the same batch and there is no mis matching.

sorry for long post. any suggestions? I can post pics if anyone wants to see.

Billy10mm 03-25-2014 05:05 PM

Plasti-Dip to matte black?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

CamaroJim56 03-25-2014 05:08 PM

Personally I would have to go with the repaint, you pay for insurance for a reason. You can always shop another policy if they raise it.

Good luck.

Jim

GYac 03-25-2014 05:12 PM

4 Attachment(s)
here it is

jrhagen 03-25-2014 05:13 PM

Plasti-Dip or whole car wrap.

GYac 03-25-2014 05:14 PM

Those are just a FEW of them, he even got the spoiler. Pasti-dip is not an option. I am leaning for the repaint. Worst comes to worst I pay 250 for a deductable, and have a new paint job. Like i said i cant be mad at my little man, he was only trying to help lol.

bandier 03-25-2014 05:14 PM

Is that him scared for his life inside the car?

nevrenz 03-25-2014 05:15 PM

Try polishing it out and see how bad it is. If that doesnt work then use your insurance. You can ask them how much would it go up.. I filed a claim on my truck that got a hit at a parking lot and my insurance didnt go up at all. The amount of damage on my truck was $3800

camaro2ssblack 03-25-2014 05:19 PM

Really sorry this happened, he looks like a very cute kid so take it easy on him ;)

dorfmac 03-25-2014 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaro2ssblack (Post 7524752)
Really sorry this happened, he looks like a very cute kid so take it easy on him ;)

Haha my first response was to put him up for adoption!

ec1990 03-25-2014 05:50 PM

I would take it to a detailer first and pay for a paint correction, at worst it'll remove some of the scratches and reduce the rest. At best it'll clean them up more than well enough to avoid a repaint.

canecorso69 03-25-2014 06:05 PM

first of yall kudos to you for being a great dad and understanding that he is a child and that is what they do. Congrats on that bro. Secondly, let the insurance pay for it. The insurance company should be able to tell you if there is going to be a significant increase in your premium. Good luck to ya.

CamaroDreams07 03-25-2014 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ec1990 (Post 7524875)
I would take it to a detailer first and pay for a paint correction, at worst it'll remove some of the scratches and reduce the rest. At best it'll clean them up more than well enough to avoid a repaint.

I think that's a waste of money in this case. That car needs a repaint.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

JTruck 03-25-2014 06:17 PM

This is going to be one of those things when he is 30 years old with children, and you just give him a nice knock in the groin with your fist... And when he asks what that was for, you show him what he did 25+ years ago. :D