Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum

Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/index.php)
-   2018 Camaro Fest (VIII) (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=310)
-   -   c5 Fest 8 - Transportation Question (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=516163)

Blu Ray 12-14-2017 10:34 PM

c5 Fest 8 - Transportation Question

2 Attachment(s)
Buddies and I are making plans to Attend c5 Fest 2018 - Last fest we were able to attend was 2015 - the 5 of us drove the 800+ miles - Not looking to do that again.... it was 1/2 the fun but.....

Looking for Suggestions on the most Cost effective way to do this

(3) cars New Jersey to Bowling Green

Enclosed Auto Transport?
Rent a Pick-up - Trailer it? (Never driven a truck with trailer) how hard is it?

Find a Auto Hauler that can transport all (3) cars and split the cost among the 3

Any suggestions will help

Thanks in advance

mlee 12-14-2017 11:32 PM

I always had way more fun driving my Camaro but now days planning this event I need storage space for Fest related stuff that doesn't fit.

Last 3 fests I have rented a trailer, but I also have a Silverado to tow with. Cost is low and I can pack as much stuff as needed. The towing part is not hard but getting it on and off a trailer your not used to might be a little challenging. Comealong straps to tie down with would need to be purchased. I have a bag of them now and just go get my rental when needed. I always like to head to the rental place first and find a good trailer with good tires and get my name on it early so it's nice and safe for my car.

We've found transport services are super expensive.

Blu Ray 12-15-2017 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlee (Post 10010627)
I always had way more fun driving my Camaro but now days planning this event I need storage space for Fest related stuff that doesn't fit.

Last 3 fests I have rented a trailer, but I also have a Silverado to tow with. Cost is low and I can pack as much stuff as needed. The towing part is not hard but getting it on and off a trailer your not used to might be a little challenging. Comealong straps to tie down with would need to be purchased. I have a bag of them now and just go get my rental when needed. I always like to head to the rental place first and find a good trailer with good tires and get my name on it early so it's nice and safe for my car.

Searched for some quotes last night - $3000 - $4500, and now my phone is ringing every 30 minutes, from tow companies

I'm thinking of just buying a used Silverado and renting a trailer from Uhaul

01pewterz28 12-15-2017 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blu Ray (Post 10011205)
Searched for some quotes last night - $3000 - $4500, and now my phone is ringing every 30 minutes, from tow companies

I'm thinking of just buying a used Silverado and renting a trailer from Uhaul

Hell rent a Silverado or F150 from Enterprise and tow that thing :D

Blu Ray 12-15-2017 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01pewterz28 (Post 10011232)
Hell rent a Silverado or F150 from Enterprise and tow that thing :D

@.99$ per mile [emoji51][emoji51][emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

01pewterz28 12-15-2017 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blu Ray (Post 10011235)
@.99$ per mile [emoji51][emoji51][emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hell Enterprise lets you drive out of state no rate now if you rent a fleet truck yes.

mlee 12-15-2017 04:30 PM

and U-haul isn't the best place for a trailer that will haul a low car like Camaro.

Try a place that sells trailers as they usually have a few for rent too.

Zombie killer 12-16-2017 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlee (Post 10011452)
and U-haul isn't the best place for a trailer that will haul a low car like Camaro.

Try a place that sells trailers as they usually have a few for rent too.

U-haul trailers don't work well unless you have plenty of boards for loading and clearing the railing of trailer. :(

mlee 12-16-2017 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie killer (Post 10012517)
U-haul trailers don't work well unless you have plenty of boards for loading and clearing the railing of trailer. :(

and front splitter needs to clear the front of the trailer when loaded too.

frankwjr 12-16-2017 10:12 PM

rent a driver...fly there. possibly the cheapest option avail...just make sure your insurance policy is paid up!

or make it a 2 day travel trip...stop half way, get hammered and then drive another 4hrs hung over! lol

drove from MD. last year..man those WV mountains go on and on and....

Blue17CamaroZL1 12-16-2017 11:22 PM

I'll be coming from NJ and driving it out there.

Unfortunately the ZL1 sucks gas like a mother so I'm expecting 4 or 5 fill ups for the entire trip. My 2015 Colorado made it from NJ to Indy in 3 fill ups so I don't need to worry too much about gas. Plus I just got free stay at the Hyatt using my Hyatt points. 3 nights at not cost, WOOT!!! So my only costs, gas and food.

mlee 12-16-2017 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue17CamaroZL1 (Post 10012705)
I'll be coming from NJ and driving it out there.

Unfortunately the ZL1 sucks gas like a mother so I'm expecting 4 or 5 fill ups for the entire trip. My 2015 Colorado made it from NJ to Indy in 3 fill ups so I don't need to worry too much about gas. Plus I just got free stay at the Hyatt using my Hyatt points. 3 nights at not cost, WOOT!!! So my only costs, gas and food.

My ZL1 gets almost the same as my Colorado did

Merc 12-17-2017 12:17 AM

800 miles is a breeze if you break it up into 2 days. :noidea: The road trip is half the fun.

:thumb:

BAD DAB 12-17-2017 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merc (Post 10012725)
800 miles is a breeze if you break it up into 2 days. :noidea: The road trip is half the fun.

:thumb:

I agree. The road trip is big fun.

ticowarbird 12-18-2017 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlee (Post 10010627)

What kind of Silverado? I have a 2016 1500 lt and want to make sure I can make the drive as I too have never towed with it. I can tow ordnance all day long but I'd worry more about the car and other drivers than I do about a random bomb or missile falling off.

01pewterz28 12-18-2017 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ticowarbird (Post 10013650)
What kind of Silverado? I have a 2016 1500 lt and want to make sure I can make the drive as I too have never towed with it. I can tow ordnance all day long but I'd worry more about the car and other drivers than I do about a random bomb or missile falling off.

I had a 2006 Silverado 1500 Vmax with the 6.0L and I pulled a 24ft enclosed car hauler all the time no issues.

I pull my enclosed car hauler with my wifes Suburban no issues.

ticowarbird 12-18-2017 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01pewterz28 (Post 10013688)
I had a 2006 Silverado 1500 Vmax with the 6.0L and I pulled a 24ft enclosed car hauler all the time no issues.

I pull my enclosed car hauler with my wifes Suburban no issues.

Thanks for that. Now just need to get a trailer.

Tom And Cheryl 12-18-2017 04:54 PM

Coming from Wisconsin, I thought about buying or renting a trailer last year and after looking at a fair amount of trailer we decided to drive. Thumper only has 7500 miles on it. The biggest issue I had was finding a trailer that I didn't have to do a bunch of messing around to get it loaded without scraping. We'll drive again this year.

Blu Ray 12-18-2017 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ticowarbird (Post 10013650)

LMAO - - Same here - I kinda dont trust my self, being never driven a truck with a car in tow

Blu Ray 12-18-2017 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jus1dab (Post 10012812)

Road trip was fun in 2015 with a V6 - - - - > 2017 stage 3 Cammed V8, dont want the miles or the Mechanical worry

GroundhogSS 12-18-2017 11:55 PM

Three of us drove from Central Texas this year. Took about a day and a half. Thursday morning we met up with the Memphis group and had an enjoyable run up to Bowling Green. We're planning on doing something similar this next year.

wrankin 12-19-2017 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jus1dab (Post 10012812)

...and adventurous. On the way home I had to swerve to miss 55 gallon drum and misc. pieces of metal that had fallen out of the back of a pickup truck and on to the Interstate.

Bill

Blu Ray 01-01-2018 02:26 PM

Visited Local Chevrolet Dealer - the Lease is coming due on my 2015 Traverse... figured i would look into something that can Tow my Camaro to Fest next year - BTW im NOT a truck guy - but hey the Colorado's look good the Silverados will do the Job, yet do not like the look ....

Im apart of the Pull Ahead program Chevrolet will pay all the remaining payments (4) and give $2000 cash down - I figure im golden on the Colorado - MSRP of 35K less than I paid for the Traverse

Guy come back with a Payment of $489:thumbdown::thumbdown::mad0233::mad0233: - $2000 cash from Chevy down - he says the lease programs are no good

But i can get another Traverse $43K for the same payment

What Gives??? is the Residual Value on the Colorado's that bad??

Evil-Bee-NH 01-01-2018 02:38 PM

It's what the vehicles are classified as being used for.

wrankin 01-02-2018 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blu Ray (Post 10028266)
Visited Local Chevrolet Dealer - the Lease is coming due on my 2015 Traverse... figured i would look into something that can Tow my Camaro to Fest next year - BTW im NOT a truck guy - but hey the Colorado's look good the Silverados will do the Job, yet do not like the look ....

Im apart of the Pull Ahead program Chevrolet will pay all the remaining payments (4) and give $2000 cash down - I figure im golden on the Colorado - MSRP of 35K less than I paid for the Traverse

Guy come back with a Payment of $489:thumbdown::thumbdown::mad0233::mad0233: - $2000 cash from Chevy down - he says the lease programs are no good

But i can get another Traverse $43K for the same payment

What Gives??? is the Residual Value on the Colorado's that bad??

I got a used 2015 Canyon to replace my 2004 Colorado about 2 months ago. This is my DD. The used values are supposed to be comparable to the Tacoma although I wasn't interested in Toyota. Colorados are more sporty on the outside but the Canyons are nicer on the inside IMO. I think you'll like the way these trucks drive compared to a Camaro. Not as cushy as a Traverse.

Bill

mlee 01-02-2018 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrankin (Post 10028761)
I got a used 2015 Canyon to replace my 2004 Colorado about 2 months ago. This is my DD. The used values are supposed to be comparable to the Tacoma although I wasn't interested in Toyota. Colorados are more sporty on the outside but the Canyons are nicer on the inside IMO. I think you'll like the way these trucks drive compared to a Camaro. Not as cushy as a Traverse.

Bill

I pretty much did the same thing. Traded my old Colorado for a 2015. Didn't like the shifter on the floor and the way they hunted for gears so it didn't last a year until I traded on a Silverado. You are right about the GMC though and interior. It's also better to get the 2WD as the seats are more comfortable. My DD as well.

Lafourche1 01-02-2018 12:40 PM

I am just not understanding the original post (I may be just a bit dense, I guess). The OP didn't like driving 800 miles in their Camaros and are thinking of either renting or buying a truck and then renting a trailer to haul their car the same 800 miles. On one hand, you drive a truck, pulling a trailer and incur the extra expense of more gas and all of the rental / purchase costs of a truck and trailer. On the other hand, you drive your Camaro the 800 miles, saving on gas and all rental / purchase fees which should easily pay for a hotel room and an extra meal or two.

I don't think that driving a truck, pulling a trailer, will be less stressful or more comfortable than just driving a Camaro. Like I stated, I just may be not fully understanding the point or missing it entirely.

Blu Ray 01-02-2018 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lafourche1 (Post 10029071)
I am just not understanding the original post (I may be just a bit dense, I guess). The OP didn't like driving 800 miles in their Camaros and are thinking of either renting or buying a truck and then renting a trailer to haul their car the same 800 miles. On one hand, you drive a truck, pulling a trailer and incur the extra expense of more gas and all of the rental / purchase costs of a truck and trailer. On the other hand, you drive your Camaro the 800 miles, saving on gas and all rental / purchase fees which should easily pay for a hotel room and an extra meal or two.

I don't think that driving a truck, pulling a trailer, will be less stressful or more comfortable than just driving a Camaro. Like I stated, I just may be not fully understanding the point or missing it entirely.

Yes you missed it - - -

My camaro is a race car - not sure if you were able to see the modifications in my signature - One of the biggest events at FEST is drag racing... I dont want to drive my car 800 miles beat on it having to worry about how to get it home if something breaks

Lafourche1 01-02-2018 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blu Ray (Post 10029078)
Yes you missed it - - -

My camaro is a race car - not sure if you were able to see the modifications in my signature - One of the biggest events at FEST is drag racing... I dont want to drive my car 800 miles beat on it having to worry about how to get it home if something breaks

I surely did not understand that your car was a race car. It does make a bit more sense.

laynlo15 01-07-2018 02:38 PM

I trailer my car to all the tracks ready to hit the strip with just air pressure adjustments to the slicks. I made the Camaro Fest and the LS Fest last year pulling my Camaro plus about 12 other events including street car takeover twice, I've learned my lessons on drag racing and driving my car to the track with a bunch of hp and independent rear. Its a no no and won't do it again. I have a 15 Silverado 1500 and it pulls great. I drag a 20ft open trailer with ease and get about 12.5 mpg pulling. If your not going to drag race then drive it as I did on the 2017 power tour. These cars drive great on the hwy and you can have a little fun along the way.

laynlo15 01-07-2018 02:42 PM

Blue ray, how quick it your car if you just drag race?