Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum

Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-topic Discussions (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Grammar police, you can vent here (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=359139)

Camaro_Corvette 05-18-2014 07:45 PM

Grammar police, you can vent here

Seriously. Talk about killing a thread.

Since this will never stop, I'll try to move all grammar police off topic banter to here. That might save me, and many other people from reading it in the technical car forums. :facepalm:

PalmerGA 05-18-2014 07:45 PM

Grammar police, you can vent here

Quote:

Originally Posted by DARK AGE 53 (Post 7674992)
...personal knowledge of there work, get there permission to list them.... What do you think?

Well, first off, it's spelled T-H-E-I-R. Secondly (and excuse my ignorance) what is PDR? As a retired Dept. of Defense guy, it means Product Deficiency Report but I suspect you mean something other than that.

:character0229:

Sorry for the grammar police thing, but it's a pet peeve of mine and I thought you'd like to know. People take you more seriously when you can spell, use proper grammar, and form sentences correctly.

DARK AGE 53 05-18-2014 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PalmerGA (Post 7675145)
Well, first off, it's spelled T-H-E-I-R. Secondly (and excuse my ignorance) what is PDR? As a retired Dept. of Defense guy, it means Product Deficiency Report but I suspect you mean something other than that.

Sorry for the grammar police thing, but it's a pet peeve of mine and I thought you'd like to know. People take you more seriously when you can spell, use proper grammar, and form sentences correctly.

Now that you have given me a grammar lesson let me return the favor, read the post above.

I would suggest you not read anymore threads I start, it would only piss you more as I miss spell words a lot.

motorhead 05-18-2014 09:21 PM

Quote:

I am not a grammar king by far, but your last sentence has errors too. That's quite funny.

PalmerGA 05-18-2014 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DARK AGE 53 (Post 7675414)
Now that you have given me a grammar lesson let me return the favor, read the post above.

I would suggest you not read anymore threads I start, it would only piss you more as I miss spell words a lot.

Just trying to help... and "misspell" is one word.
:biggrin:

PalmerGA 05-18-2014 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorhead (Post 7675437)
I am not a grammar king by far, but your last sentence has errors too. That's quite funny.

Please specify. I am by no means perfect in my grammar/spelling. It's just that the misuse of there, their, and they're is a pet peeve of mine.

Us old farts have little to look forward to sometimes. :biggrin:

jrhagen 05-18-2014 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DARK AGE 53 (Post 7675414)

...it would only piss you OFF more as I misspell words a lot...

Jackass 05-18-2014 10:42 PM

Quote:

PDR

Postpartum Doctor Residency

Squillo 05-19-2014 04:08 AM

Just for you PalmerGA

http://imghumour.com/assets/Uploads/...rnet-again.jpg

ssrs2lt 05-19-2014 04:31 AM

^hahaha..like spelling matters

1KillerSS 05-19-2014 04:57 AM

Quote:

Wow, I'll just go ahead and say I am sorry for the way I type, spell, use punctuation, and even use capital letters. Oh yea wait, I also have poor sentence structure. I am sure that some errors have been made here so far in this posting. Once again I am sorry to all.

See I never did to well in school. Truth be told, I barley passed. I wish one day I could aspire to a higher status, and basic overall education. I am so amazed that I have a couple of cars that run. Shocked that I have a few dollars for both gas tanks. Completely freaked out that I can eat so much to get fat and lazy. Totally stunned to have two places of residences, one for the summer and one for the winter. Extremely flabbergasted to have a retirement plan that I now live off of. I think the one single thing that i am most of all absolutely stunned about though, is the fact that your condescending a$$'s tax dollars paid for it all!. As a matter of fact your whole family paid for it all! See I am just a worthless bumm that went across a really big pond then, came back home unemployable and disabled. Thank you for your inspiring me. Its people like you that make me feel super good when the first and the fifteenth come.

Oh wait! I also use run-on sentences, and sometimes do what my Military friend does, spell the words incorrectly depending on how there used.

Wow once again I am really sorry.

HOLY SH*T!!! I almost forgot. I don't use paragraphs properly either. Now I know I've missed a few things for you to correct, but then how would we know how smart you are? After all nobody is going to take me seriously unless, "you can spell, use proper grammar, and form sentences correctly", right? so I left some things for you to critique me on, because this is as far as my public high school education has taken me. And lets not forget I barley passed. I would really love to learn more about what I can improve on.

@ DARK AGE 53 thanks man, I am grateful. Think you know what I mean.

Squillo 05-19-2014 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssrs2lt (Post 7675914)
^hahaha..like spelling matters

It may not matter all that much here, but try that shit at work and people will think you're an idiot. It matters in the real world. It could cost you a promotion.

1KillerSS 05-19-2014 05:21 AM

That's kind of the thing. Were not at work. As a matter of fact we are supposed to be at the one place we done need to worry about work. Its certainly not a self improvement website for bettering ones continuing education. Again I may be wrong but is this not a place that we can come to when we have questions regarding our cars? Actually there is even an off topic section. i guess that means this place is pretty lax.

Man you guys crack me up. I am all for proper English. Also I would like to see the basics of a sentence. So you can excuse me, but that was just rude. All the guy wanted to do was ask a question man. If you didn't like his grammar or spelling or didn't understand his acronym, what was your real point of posting? Are you seriously attempting to make this man a better person? Are you honestly trying to help him out?

No I think not. Pretty sure its just about being an ass.

PalmerGA 05-19-2014 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squillo (Post 7675908)

:smiling1: See there...

PalmerGA 05-19-2014 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1KillerSS (Post 7675928)
Are you seriously attempting to make this man a better person? Are you honestly trying to help him out?

Yes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1KillerSS (Post 7675928)
Pretty sure its just about being an ass.

No.

And thank you for your service.

6bangerBOOM 05-19-2014 06:45 AM

Correcting people's grammar and spelling suggests the maturity of a college sophomore who's just completed their English Literature 102 requirement. Unless nobody knows what a post was supposed to mean then I suggest we move on and opt out of correcting one another. Even if your intent is truly to help somebody out it will never come off as such. It will always make you look snobby, and besides, grammar wars really throw a thread off course. Considering that a lot of us are using tapatalk or just our smart phones, grammar policing is really an exercise in futility.

To the OP, there's one around Henderson Texas, but I think he's based out of Tyler and just services the whole area. But they got my first door ding (got it on day freaking one) knocked out quite nicely.

Edit: no offense meant to any college sophomores who've completed their English requirement. Just be mindful of this the next time one of your friends tells you they're doing "good"!

San2cci 05-19-2014 09:37 AM

It's a shame that people are on this great forum correcting other people's grammar.

Baba 05-19-2014 10:50 AM

As a health care provider, PDR to me = Physician Desk Reference.

Baba 05-19-2014 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by San2cci (Post 7676352)
It's a shame that people are on this great forum correcting other people's grammar.

No. It is not a shame. Ignorance and sloppiness are not a valid excuse for anything. The odd mispelled word or missed punctuation is one thing but a post filled with mispelled words, incorrect grammar and run-on sentences screams "I don't give a shit."

If someone suffers from dyslexia, however, that's a different story.

ZED SLED 05-19-2014 11:12 AM

When I first got married my wife asked me how to spell something. I told her to get a dictionary. Well let's just say that now I go ahead and tell her how to spell it, lol.

San2cci 05-19-2014 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baba (Post 7676546)
No. It is not a shame. Ignorance and sloppiness are not a valid excuse for anything. The odd mispelled word or missed punctuation is one thing but a post filled with mispelled words, incorrect grammar and run-on sentences screams "I don't give a shit."

No, it is a shame. People on this forum are from all walks of life and from different countries. We do not know the first thing about the person writing the original post. Maybe he does suffer from dyslexia or some other form of a literacy comprehension issue. To go out of your way to call someone out on their spelling without knowing that person is ignorant. Not to mention we are on an internet forum not writing a college essay.

Rob3D 05-19-2014 11:24 AM

The main reason people correct others spelling, especially obvious minor words that don't change the message intended by the writer, is that they have low self-esteem or are insecure, and so they feel better about themselves when they put someone else down. When people have self-respect, then they usually are able to exhibit empathy and respectful behavior towards others.

ZED SLED 05-19-2014 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob3D (Post 7676628)
The main reason people correct others spelling, especially obvious minor words that don't change the message intended by the writer, is that they have low self-esteem or are insecure, and so they feel better about themselves when they put someone else down. When people have self-respect, then they usually are able to exhibit empathy and respectful behavior towards others.

Now we're getting psychology lessons:lol:

DARK AGE 53 05-19-2014 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baba (Post 7676546)

Now I'm ignorant, I'm more ****ed up than I thought.:thumb: Hell I'm going to give myself another :thumb:.

I retired age age 53, own ( underline own ) a home in Mi. and winter home in Al., I own ( underline own ) a Camaro SS and a GMC Terrain. Just think how much better off I would have been if I only knew how spell and all that other stuff, I really messed up I guess. :frusty:

I apologize if I have miss spelled any words or used these incorrectly ? . , or anything I have done incorrectly, and to the people that are smarter than me I :hail: to them.

Baba 05-19-2014 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DARK AGE 53 (Post 7676707)
Now I'm ignorant, I'm more ****ed up than I thought.:thumb: Hell I'm going to give myself another :thumb:.

I retired age age 53, own ( underline own ) a home in Mi. and winter home in Al., I own ( underline own ) a Camaro SS and a GMC Terrain. Just think how much better off I would have been if I only knew how spell and all that other stuff, I really messed up I guess. :frusty:

I apologize if I have miss spelled any words or used these incorrectly ? . , or anything I have done incorrectly, and to the people that are smarter than me I :hail: to them.

I certainly wasn't criticizing you. I was making a generalization. If you took the inference thereof, however, then, perhaps, there might be a lesson to be learned.

Humility, is a trait that is learned. The first step of which is to acknowledge the area(s) which would benefit from improvement and appreciate the guidance offered in meeting those goals.

Constructive criticism, just like a good ass-whipping, should be regarded as a powerful and motivational learning tool through which to seize the initiative in wanting to improve oneself, rather than continually insisting on defending one's errant ways.

As a famous saying goes: "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." (George Santayana)

kalimus 05-19-2014 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by San2cci (Post 7676615)
No, it is a shame. People on this forum are from all walks of life and from different countries. We do not know the first thing about the person writing the original post. Maybe he does suffer from dyslexia or some other form of a literacy comprehension issue. To go out of your way to call someone out on their spelling without knowing that person is ignorant. Not to mention we are on an internet forum not writing a college essay.

People may very well be from other countries or "walks of life", but it's still not a shame. What does a walk of life have to do with the price of tea in China? A language is a language. Either a person uses it correctly, or uses it incorrectly. Slang may not be incorrect, but using the wrong words certainly is. If a person spoke a different language, or was from a different country, don't you think that person would want to learn to speak or type better? Wouldn't correcting that person be the correct action?

Writing and speaking are improved from practice and habit, just like anything else. It doesn't matter if it's a college essay or a forum. I don't understand why people pick and choose when it's appropriate to try and correct someone. If you were on an English forum talking about spelling and grammar, and then a person said that GMC produced the Camaro, would you choose not to correct them because they weren't on a car forum?

Quote:

Is it disrespectful for a person to offer a correction to another person, or is the issue how the correction was displayed? If I say or type something that is obviously incorrect, I'd sure like to know. It's very valid to point out that people will judge you by your spelling and grammar, especially when you're competing for work.

6bangerBOOM 05-19-2014 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalimus (Post 7676857)
Is it disrespectful for a person to offer a correction to another person, or is the issue how the correction was displayed? If I say or type something that is obviously incorrect, I'd sure like to know. It's very valid to point out that people will judge you by your spelling and grammar, especially when you're competing for work.

There is a difference between correcting false information and correcting spelling and grammar. False information should absolutely be corrected on this site. Spelling and grammar do not really matter in terms of conveying a message (to an extent), just in how it makes you perceive the message sender. So while PalmerGA may have somehow perceived that he was helping Dark Age 53 out, the message that was actually transmitted was "hey, I'm trying to help you because you look like an idiot". This is why his post received such a negative reaction, and the thread hastened to disorder.

PalmerGA 05-19-2014 02:36 PM

Quote:

Well, Rob, you missed the boat if this is your assessment as to why I do it.

I grew up and was educated in the public school system back in the 50s-70s. Fortunately for me, it was a very good school system with excellent teachers who cared how well their students excelled through life. They also encouraged their students to correct fellow classmates when they erred in speech, writing, math, history, etc., rather than letting them go through their school years in a veil of ignorance (and bad test scores)... thinking they were correct. That's all I'm doing, whether you believe me or not.

Communication is the basis of success or failure in life and (like many other important things) it is being butchered and battered and our teachers, journalists, and media personnel are standing by and letting it happen. The fact that I am repulsed by this type of degradation of America has nothing to do with low self-esteem or any sense of superiority on my part. I care... and I hope one small correction here or there will allow someone to present themselves just a little bit better to the world.

Ignorance is NOT bliss.

PalmerGA 05-19-2014 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6bangerBOOM (Post 7677030)
So while PalmerGA may have somehow perceived that he was helping Dark Age 53 out, the message that was actually transmitted was "hey, I'm trying to help you because you look like an idiot".

I can assure you that making anyone "look like an idiot" was not my intent.

Does it frustrate me to continually see the misuse of the English language, even in its most very basic form? Hell yes.

Do I have the tendency to occasionally let that frustration show trough in my posts? I'm sure I do.

I apologize if I've made anyone here feel like an idiot, but I will NOT apologize for taking opportunities to improve someone's diction and/or grammar.

You can take murder ball out of gym class. You can stop keeping score in Teeball. You can change high school grading systems to "pass/fail". You can make automobiles nearly idiot-proof with all the nannies on them. But you cannot fool people when you open your mouth and prove your ignorance.**

** Notice I said ignorance and not stupidity. If you don't know the difference... look it up.

kalimus 05-19-2014 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6bangerBOOM (Post 7677030)
There is a difference between correcting false information and correcting spelling and grammar. False information should absolutely be corrected on this site. Spelling and grammar do not really matter in terms of conveying a message (to an extent), just in how it makes you perceive the message sender. So while PalmerGA may have somehow perceived that he was helping Dark Age 53 out, the message that was actually transmitted was "hey, I'm trying to help you because you look like an idiot". This is why his post received such a negative reaction, and the thread hastened to disorder.

Is your protest based on HOW the correction is made, or that the correction was made in the first place? Is using words incorrectly really that different from false information? Doing something incorrectly, or saying something that is not true are related. They are both incorrect, and should be fixed.

I actually had a long response typed out, but when I went back and read it I realized I would come off like more of a dick than I meant to be. How the message was transmitted, or at least how you perceived it, has a lot of truth to it. People are judged in all kinds of ways. Some people judge others on how you dress, and others on your physical appearance (you're fat, you have messy hair, etc). What is almost universal though, especially in the professional world, is judgement based on how a person writes or types.

You may debate that this forum isn't the professional world, and rightly so, but that's not a point of debate. The point is that spelling and grammar are habitual. It's not a matter of laziness. A person won't fill out an essay or resume and use "their, there, and they're" correctly, and then be "too lazy" to use them correctly any other time. That makes absolutely no sense. While spelling and grammar might not have as much to do with the message, it has everything to do with how you perceive the person writing the message. So yes, to all those who say spelling doesn't matter... it does. Choose to not believe it. That's your choice.

Now of course, if a person really doesn't care that their spelling and grammar are messed up and has no desire to fix it, then so be it. But how do YOU view that person? You don't need to answer it, but think about it.

6bangerBOOM 05-19-2014 03:38 PM

Proper spelling, grammar, and editing are essential to a healthy career. But for some people it isn't important, and I don't judge them for that. Lol, look at my posts and you'll notice that over half of them say I edited the post. I go back and check my spelling and wording every time I post. I am a decently educated (Master's in Communication) person, and I like to come off as such. And I am always a proponent for a proper application of the English language. What's my point then?

Let it be.

CamaroSkooter 05-19-2014 03:41 PM

Obviously all of these posts were liposuction-ed from another thread and placed here. :popcorn:

Now I'm curious which thread this benign tumor was removed from... :lol:

6bangerBOOM 05-19-2014 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter (Post 7677583)
Obviously all of these posts were liposuction-ed from another thread and placed here. :popcorn:

Lmao. Yeah, we all got in trouble, so they made us go to Off-topic until we were ready to be nice. It came from the PDR thread.

PoorMansCamaro 05-19-2014 04:25 PM

My biggest peeve, when people say "I could care less." Really? you CAN care less? That means you do care. Thanks for caring, and letting me know!

ssrs2lt 05-19-2014 04:33 PM

this topic always makes me laugh.. soo serious this posting thing we do.. its not that we're writing for advanced degrees its the internet Camaro chat board..hell I don't even know if half the people here are real or should I say reel..hahaha .lock me up, I always type from a phone a very crappy one at that!

13lstuner 05-19-2014 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro (Post 7677705)
My biggest peeve, when people say "I could care less." Really? you CAN care less? That means you do care. Thanks for caring, and letting me know!

I say that lol. Too much of a habit for me to break now.

6bangerBOOM 05-19-2014 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PalmerGA (Post 7677470)
I can assure you that making anyone "look like an idiot" was not my intent.

Does it frustrate me to continually see the misuse of the English language, even in its most very basic form? Hell yes.

Do I have the tendency to occasionally let that frustration show trough in my posts? I'm sure I do.

I apologize if I've made anyone here feel like an idiot, but I will NOT apologize for taking opportunities to improve someone's diction and/or grammar.

You can take murder ball out of gym class. You can stop keeping score in Teeball. You can change high school grading systems to "pass/fail". You can make automobiles nearly idiot-proof with all the nannies on them. But you cannot fool people when you open your mouth and prove your ignorance.**

** Notice I said ignorance and not stupidity. If you don't know the difference... look it up.

I'm just trying to help you. My post was meant to show that your message was so ill received because you did not take into account how it would come across. When you have to say "I don't mean any offense" in a post you're already working on shaky ground.

90503 05-19-2014 05:03 PM

...Grammar "Police".....Grammar "Nazis"....hmmm.....Interesting how a perceived "right" to be lazy, rude, self-righteous, etc., with terrible spelling and grammar is defended with demeaning titles aimed at those who don't care for it....

It all makes sense, actually and is not surprising....Only the selfish would complain that some think we shouldn't have ignorance foisted upon us as if it were normal and acceptable...

Mr Twisty 05-19-2014 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter (Post 7677583)

I think you mean metastasized, and definitely malignant... "What are you, stupid or sumpthin?" :lol:

[edit] I did this for a couple of reasons, first, there was no reason for me to correct his post..... second, I just like to call scooter stupid every chance I get. Keeps him humble :neener:

AG1LE 05-19-2014 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baba (Post 7676531)
PDR to me = Physician Desk Reference.

+1