CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   6th gen Camaro vs... (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   A Camaro head to head coming. Interesting competitor (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=438207)

RenegadeXR 01-31-2016 02:00 PM

I was kind of thinking about this the other day, but yeah, the 6th gen Camaro's interior is actually nicer than a lot of expensive modern BMW's. I know a lot of people give BMW crap for not even trying to integrate the infotainment into the center stack. They've awkwardly placed a tablet-looking thing jutting out the top of the dashboard. It really looks like an after-thought that wasn't part of the original design.

SuperSound 01-31-2016 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RenegadeXR (Post 8873977)
I was kind of thinking about this the other day, but yeah, the 6th gen Camaro's interior is actually nicer than a lot of expensive modern BMW's. I know a lot of people give BMW crap for not even trying to integrate the infotainment into the center stack. They've awkwardly placed a tablet-looking thing jutting out the top of the dashboard. It really looks like an after-thought that wasn't part of the original design.

Bingo. It's not like they are bad interiors, just domestics have finally caught up and in some cases surpassed them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Denis 02-01-2016 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RenegadeXR (Post 8873977)

a lot of the reviewers are saying that the infotainment setup on the 6th gen is odd too. sort of like a tablet was just placed somewhere on the dash.

basically interior design is subjective, some like it some don't. its really up to the buyer.

ParisTNDude 02-01-2016 10:06 AM

I'm not sure I would pay the difference in price between the BMW and the Camaro especially considering the extreme high cost of maintenance/repair on the Beemer. Nearly $400 for an oil service is crazy...that's what I paid on my last 328i...may be more on an M. I think the Camaro in base 2SS form with magnetic ride will easily dispatch the M. Just my opinion of course.

fastball 02-01-2016 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ParisTNDude (Post 8875451)
I'm not sure I would pay the difference in price between the BMW and the Camaro especially considering the extreme high cost of maintenance/repair on the Beemer. Nearly $400 for an oil service is crazy...that's what I paid on my last 328i...may be more on an M. I think the Camaro in base 2SS form with magnetic ride will easily dispatch the M. Just my opinion of course.

BMW dealers have their owners fooled, though.

You can do your own oil change on ANY BMW for $120.00 in oil and filter. It's easy. "Oh you can only have your oil changed at a BMW dealer"...... I've watched people change the oil in an M3. It's even easier than a 1980 Buick because the filter is right on top of the engine.

Mr. Wyndham 02-01-2016 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denis (Post 8875183)
a lot of the reviewers are saying that the infotainment setup on the 6th gen is odd too. sort of like a tablet was just placed somewhere on the dash.

basically interior design is subjective, some like it some don't. its really up to the buyer.

It looks absolutely ridiculous. There's a wonderful-looking full-color screen..utterly responsive touch interface....and it's mounted at a downwards angle.

The odd thing is..........it works. Really, really well. I don't know what it is - but it's great. :thumbsup:

Fraxum 02-01-2016 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastball (Post 8873856)
Yeah this is right where I started losing interest in BMW. I just didn't like them leaving their classic signature cockpit design. I also don't like the gauges, integrating the fuel gauge and temp gauge into the speedo and tach - classic BMWs have a large speedometer, large tach, and separate fuel and temp gauges next to them. To me it makes it easier to read all the info at a glance.

BMW had the same interior concept for years and it worked.

The angled cockpit design was classic, sporty, business-like, and very attractive. There was no need for them to stop using it. It was their signature.

I never had a BMW before that one. So I did not know what I was missing. I do think the new Camaro dash is a bit odd, but who cares. I can't wait to drive it. Looking forward to that M4 comparison and others.

drivingagain 02-01-2016 06:29 PM

I would take the infotainment in the SS over the BMW system any day of the week. My 2010 535i was night and day different. Yes it was 5 years ago. Although BMW never impressed me with their technology. Nothing ever said wow I need that or want that. I just so happened to have a friend that was in need of selling the car fast and it was an ok daily driver for alittle while. NOw I am sure it would have changed some if it was a 550I with the twin turbo but I drove one and still did not feel like I do in a SS for sure.

bpang1234 02-02-2016 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastball (Post 8873838)
The 6th gen Camaro interior is leaps and bounds better than the 5th, that's what I'm comparing BMW interiors to. If you think back to what BMW interiors used to look like in the late 90s I think you'll understand what I'm saying. A friend of mine has a 2003 3 series and that's the last year I think with the "classic" BMW cockpit design, where the center stack is angled toward the driver and just has that classic BMW design that was essentially unchanged from the late 1970s until the early 2000s. It LOOKED like a BMW.

Now in BMW's effort to be artsy fartsy they've lost their classic cockpit design. Right around 2004 is when it happened.

THIS is classic BMW:

Attachment 771152

This is blah:

Attachment 771153

I think you touch on a good point...BMW has really changed their design philosophy away from being Ultimate Driving Machines that are driver focused to chase sales from people who aren't enthusiasts. These pictures clearly show how BMW has de-emphasized the driver-first mentality.

BMW really only makes a couple of cars that I would want (M235i and M3/4)...and another on the way (M2). Most of the 3-series line has been neutered in a lot of ways and the 5-series is a shadow of it's former self.

fastball 02-02-2016 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bpang1234 (Post 8878165)
I think you touch on a good point...BMW has really changed their design philosophy away from being Ultimate Driving Machines that are driver focused to chase sales from people who aren't enthusiasts. These pictures clearly show how BMW has de-emphasized the driver-first mentality.

BMW really only makes a couple of cars that I would want (M235i and M3/4)...and another on the way (M2). Most of the 3-series line has been neutered in a lot of ways and the 5-series is a shadow of it's former self.

Yep, and I think it's disappointing. BMW built their reputation on being driver's cars, for the enthusiast and purist. I understand from a business sense they want to attract a more broad scope (they used to offer manual transmissions on EVERY SINGLE CAR - even the 7 series, and the engineers and designers threw a serious fit when management told them American spec cars need cup holders). They should have done what Porsche did with the Panamera - build a car that expands their customer base and is less driver oriented and more "family" friendly, but their main line of cars - the 911 and Boxter - are still very singular of purpose.

Zeke.Malvo 02-02-2016 01:39 PM

I'm surprised anyone would want a 2 series, those things are pretty ugly

Danew_377 02-04-2016 08:51 PM

Any thing on the head to head yet>

bpang1234 02-04-2016 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastball (Post 8878203)
Yep, and I think it's disappointing. BMW built their reputation on being driver's cars, for the enthusiast and purist. I understand from a business sense they want to attract a more broad scope (they used to offer manual transmissions on EVERY SINGLE CAR - even the 7 series, and the engineers and designers threw a serious fit when management told them American spec cars need cup holders). They should have done what Porsche did with the Panamera - build a car that expands their customer base and is less driver oriented and more "family" friendly, but their main line of cars - the 911 and Boxter - are still very singular of purpose.

For reals.

Porsche really did it right. The Macan, Panamera and Cayenne help them keep making the 911 and now the 718 (they renamed the Cayman/Boxster).

BMW basically just applied the same standards across almost their entire lineup.

Jeffro19 02-04-2016 10:59 PM

Can't wait to see this comparison. Can't wait to see what Randy has to say about the camaro. Also finally get to see a track time to compare to other cars who have ran the track.