The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2013, 11:14 PM   #1
wkatz
 
Drives: 2003 BMW M3 cabrio, C7 shortly
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Newport, RI
Posts: 5
Valentine One or other permanent radar installations?

It may be a tad early for this, but I just ordered my C7 tonight
(3LT, Z51, Laguna Blue, Kalahari) and would like to figure out
how to permanently install a Valentine One radar detector so
that it's not in the windshield and it comes on automatically
every time I start the car. I have one in my M3, but not
permanently installed and every ticket I've gotten in the last
10 years was due to the fact that I was too lazy to take it out
and turn it on. I don't want to have that option in my new
flashy C7.

Has anyone done this yet with Valentine One? Older vette's
that might have the same mounting apparatus? If someone has
something nice to say about some other radar detector I'd
be interested in hearing it.
wkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:55 PM   #2
Nate GM
Rand Paul 2016
 
Nate GM's Avatar
 
Drives: Corvette Stingray Z51 2LT
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: U.S
Posts: 592
I use to use the Escort Passport 9500ix and LOVED it. I researched radar detectors for a very long time before I bought it and even asked all my friends and club members and discovered that it was the absolute best. I had to sell it because of a family member not liking that I had it but I will be buying it again when I get the C7.
__________________
Nate GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:27 AM   #3
wkatz
 
Drives: 2003 BMW M3 cabrio, C7 shortly
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Newport, RI
Posts: 5
Yes, that's the other one people seem to swear by. Based on other
comments I've read, I can confirm that I'm spoiled by the directional
arrows on the Valentine and I think I would be annoyed by a radar
detector that did not tell me where the signal was coming from.

I've seen plenty of hard mounts to the underside of the rearview
mirror, and I'm guessing someone will make one for the C7 before
I receive mine, and I'll probably wind up going that route, but I was
wondering if anyone has made an in-dash mount for the thing.
wkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:57 AM   #4
Hancock
 
Drives: Blk Z51 NPP J6F Q7T Red Interior
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Texan stationed in Hawaii
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkatz View Post
It may be a tad early for this, but I just ordered my C7 tonight
(3LT, Z51, Laguna Blue, Kalahari) and would like to figure out
how to permanently install a Valentine One radar detector so
that it's not in the windshield and it comes on automatically
every time I start the car. I have one in my M3, but not
permanently installed and every ticket I've gotten in the last
10 years was due to the fact that I was too lazy to take it out
and turn it on. I don't want to have that option in my new
flashy C7.

Has anyone done this yet with Valentine One? Older vette's
that might have the same mounting apparatus? If someone has
something nice to say about some other radar detector I'd
be interested in hearing it.
If you are looking for the best options for radar detectors, look no further than http://www.radarbusters.com/ The guy who runs that site is former LEO for over 20 years and brings his experience to the other side of the radar gun now. Very knowledgeable.

I also have a LOT of experience with different setups. Depends largely on your budget. If you don't mind spending 1600 and never getting a ticket again, you can remotely mount a radar detecter and laser jammers, and mount the small display module either on the rearview or under the dash. If you're not all about that, Escort has a brand new, best on the market technology model called the Max. HD Screen, comes with a cup that you clamp down, so it doesnt come off easily. If you are worried about theft, then the remote mount Escort 9500ci is the way to go, not to mention it gives you the laser jamming capability. Check out the site for full reviews on every model and good advice.

If you want to be invisible/nearly invincible, you can get a product called VEIL that you apply to your headlights and any chrome or the license plate on the front of the car. It is proven to absorb lasers up until about 200 feet away. At that point your 9500ix or ci would have told you you are getting lazed, and by the time his laser "punches through" you are going the speed limit.

Sorry for the ramble but... at 21 years old with 6 (2 over 100) speeding tickets, one reckless driving by speed (night in jail), and multiple other infractions, I have become a subject matter expert and haven't gotten a ticket in several years now. Feel free to ask me anything.
__________________
Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:56 AM   #5
wkatz
 
Drives: 2003 BMW M3 cabrio, C7 shortly
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Newport, RI
Posts: 5
Awesome stuff! Thanks a bunch. I'll start digging in to this info. I suppose
someone will make aftermarket permanent mounts for the C7 so I'll just have
to wait for those.
wkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:16 AM   #6
Hancock
 
Drives: Blk Z51 NPP J6F Q7T Red Interior
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Texan stationed in Hawaii
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkatz View Post
Awesome stuff! Thanks a bunch. I'll start digging in to this info. I suppose
someone will make aftermarket permanent mounts for the C7 so I'll just have
to wait for those.
No problem! Yeah it would be nice to have a high quality part to mount one.
__________________
Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:33 AM   #7
myfirstvette
 
Drives: 2014 C7 Corvette
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 13
I have the Passport 9500ix right now, but have ordered the Passport MAX for my new C7.
myfirstvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:00 AM   #8
sotirisf
 
Drives: C6 Vert
Join Date: May 2013
Location: chicago
Posts: 41
you should all check out dashtronix.com I dont know if it will work on the C7, but its great on the C6. Call them up for questions or support. They're really good at responding and I'm pretty sure that they will be updating for the C7.
I have one, and its been really nice- its a natural to see it in the HUD.
sotirisf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:06 AM   #9
Ka Razy
 
Ka Razy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 146
I have three V1's, one in the Bimmer (335) soon to be sold, one on the Beemer (GS), and the wifes 4runner. I am never without it while riding or driving. I owned a escort 9500 and will tell you in my experience its about a full second slower than a V1 with instant on radar comparing both back to back. That full second is a big deal at the speeds I ride/drive to bleed of the mph's. I've hard wired all my V1's so they come on with ingition power. Always ready for the man.
Just my two cents between the V1 and the Escort. A $500 V1 is worth a lot more than $500 if you know what I mean...
__________________
I'd rather be AutoCrossing

06-28-13 Status 1100
11-22-13 Status 2000
11-29-13 Status 3000
12-12-13 Status 3300
12-16-13 Status 3400
01-06-14 Status 3800!!
01-10-14 Status 4B00
01-13-14 Status 4200!!!
02-17-14 Delivered!!!!!!!!!!
Ka Razy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:18 AM   #10
Frankster80
 
Frankster80's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Nissan Frontier
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkatz View Post
It may be a tad early for this, but I just ordered my C7 tonight
(3LT, Z51, Laguna Blue, Kalahari) and would like to figure out
how to permanently install a Valentine One radar detector so
that it's not in the windshield and it comes on automatically
every time I start the car. I have one in my M3, but not
permanently installed and every ticket I've gotten in the last
10 years was due to the fact that I was too lazy to take it out
and turn it on. I don't want to have that option in my new
flashy C7.

Has anyone done this yet with Valentine One? Older vette's
that might have the same mounting apparatus? If someone has
something nice to say about some other radar detector I'd
be interested in hearing it.
Great question....I have the 9500ix, never had a problem with it. Actually it has saved me more than quite a few times. Regardless if you get a new detector or if you stick with the V1, let me know if you find something out because I would like to have mine permanently installed as well.
Frankster80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:20 PM   #11
jsvette
 
jsvette's Avatar
 
Drives: C7, XTS, Porsche, C70
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster80 View Post
Great question....I have the 9500ix, never had a problem with it. Actually it has saved me more than quite a few times. Regardless if you get a new detector or if you stick with the V1, let me know if you find something out because I would like to have mine permanently installed as well.
I also have the 9500 Escort (and have always had Escort models from the first ones). I have the new PASSPORT Max on order and intend on exploring permanent hard wire for it in my C7 as well as my XTS. It will depend on how difficult it is to get into and tap into the wires of the multipurpose mirrors. Like you the 9500 has saved my bacon quite a few times while enjoying 'invigorated' driving.

Just found an old link talking about hard wiring on a C6
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...to-mirror.html

Last edited by jsvette; 07-01-2013 at 06:37 PM.
jsvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:11 PM   #12
wkatz
 
Drives: 2003 BMW M3 cabrio, C7 shortly
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Newport, RI
Posts: 5
Hey guys, I just found these links to places that integrate Valentine One
and Escorts into the rearview mirror. They look pretty slick! anyone have
any experience with them? The HUD is probably better though I'm a little
nervous about hacking into the HUD of my new C7

http://www.radar-mirror.com/Store_V1_Mirrors.html
http://www.stealthmirror.com/index.html
wkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #13
sotirisf
 
Drives: C6 Vert
Join Date: May 2013
Location: chicago
Posts: 41
you're not hacking your hud with the dashtronix. All it does is input data into the stream going to the HUD. It plugs directly into your OBDII port. You're more likely to do more damage by trying to put in a mirror with the remote display hacksawed into the mirror.
Once you've had the radar display on the hud, whether its Valentine or some other, you dont want to go back to the stand alone display. Especially when you're putting on some overage on the limit, its much easier to have the data in the HUD tracking Leos than to take your eyes off the road. Trust me from experience on that. Here in IL, between state leos gunning us with radar and lidar, its been much easier to have the bogies tracked in the HUD and I can pay attention to road conditions as I am making my slowdown rather than diverting eyes to the radar display that used to be concealed in the dash. As a side note, the funniest look I ever got was when a state leo using lidar couldnt believe that his gun couldnt lock on me and just as it did as I drove by at 55, thats only b/c I turned off the jammer about 100 yards out. He just looked at me and then looked at his gun as if-wtf it wasnt working right.
sotirisf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #14
Hancock
 
Drives: Blk Z51 NPP J6F Q7T Red Interior
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Texan stationed in Hawaii
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotirisf View Post
you're not hacking your hud with the dashtronix. All it does is input data into the stream going to the HUD. It plugs directly into your OBDII port. You're more likely to do more damage by trying to put in a mirror with the remote display hacksawed into the mirror.
Once you've had the radar display on the hud, whether its Valentine or some other, you dont want to go back to the stand alone display. Especially when you're putting on some overage on the limit, its much easier to have the data in the HUD tracking Leos than to take your eyes off the road. Trust me from experience on that. Here in IL, between state leos gunning us with radar and lidar, its been much easier to have the bogies tracked in the HUD and I can pay attention to road conditions as I am making my slowdown rather than diverting eyes to the radar display that used to be concealed in the dash. As a side note, the funniest look I ever got was when a state leo using lidar couldnt believe that his gun couldnt lock on me and just as it did as I drove by at 55, thats only b/c I turned off the jammer about 100 yards out. He just looked at me and then looked at his gun as if-wtf it wasnt working right.
Haha that is an awesome feeling. There's a company making a jammer that automatically turns off the jamming after i think 6 seconds. Great design so you have plenty of time to slow down, and then not worry about or forget to turn it off so you dont get that unwanted attention of having a jammer, orrr you're jamming in a state that doesn't take so kindly to jammers..
__________________
Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
radar detector hard wire

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.