The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray vs...

Old 01-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #1
Tran
Administrator

Drives: 2010 Camaro of course....
Audi Quattro head says C7 Corvette Stingray performance is "no match for an RS6"

Granted, the RS6 does pump out 560hp/516lb-ft, but comparing a large station wagon costing £77,000 (about $124,000 USD) to a sleek sports car that will cost half of that is just comical.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/chevrol...whats-big-deal

Quote:
As a Brit it's hard to see what the fuss is about with the new Chevrolet Corvette Stingray. Looking at the pictures pre-show and studying the spec sheet, it seemed like more of the same from Chevy - a large V8 clothed in the automotive equivalent of Michael Jackson's Thriller jacket.

OK, so the switch from a steel chassis to aluminium, occasional use of carbon fibre and a higher-quality interior have moved it forward, but not beyond that of its main competitors. And then there's the design - it's got a lot more going on than the current car and will have young boys flocking to buy the poster, but could you really imagine driving one in the UK without receiving torrents of abuse and unsightly hand gestures?

But then it clicked. This car isn't for me, or anyone that lives outside the US for that matter. It's the American dream with four wheels and four exhausts, and if you don't like it, you can get lost.

"You've probably heard it as a tag line, but it's true; the Corvette is more than a car, it's pure emotion," Craig Sass, the Corvette's interior design manager, told us. "When the workers put it together they take pride in their work, it means more than just building a car."

I then asked Tadge Juechter, the Corvette's chief engineer, what he thought made it so special: "America has a 60-year love affair with this car, it's a cultural icon. Over here it's a symbol of freedom, of the open road."

By way of contrast I asked Franciscus Van Meel, head of Audi's quattro GmbH division and a man without an American bone in his body, what he thought. "The performance is no match for an RS6," he replied. "I like the wraparound interior and black wheels, but we're not in danger." As suspected, an emotionless response.

So what can we learn from all this? Well, the message seems to be clear - a car is more than simply the sum of its parts or its perceived quality, it's about what it means to the individual. Talk to any American and it's clear the Corvette means an awful lot.

Attached Images

Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:44 AM   #2
06_warrior

Drives: 2012 1SS LS3 M6 black on black :)
I think that Audi is just ugly as all get out. I could care less if it's faster, cost more or people drool over it more than the Corvette.
06_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #3
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
I don't even know where to begin. So, here is a bunny with a pancake on it's head.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:10 PM   #4
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
I don't even know where to begin. So, here is a bunny with a pancake on it's head.

Can't wait for various magazines' comparo tests of the C7 vs. the World!
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:21 PM   #5
Tran
Administrator

Drives: 2010 Camaro of course....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post

Can't wait for various magazines' comparo tests of the C7 vs. the World!
Going to be a bloodbath... for the competitors
Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:23 PM   #6
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Ze Germans are coming?

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:23 PM   #7
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tran View Post
Going to be a bloodbath... for the competitors
It usually is. For the corvette, magazines always pissed and moaned about the interior. Whats to complain about now?
Old 01-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #8
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
The fact that he even compared the two just shows it's at least on their mind. It'll be faster with AWD 0-60 and maybe 1/4 mile, but braking, around the track will go to the Vette.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #9
C7Z51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tran View Post
Granted, the RS6 does pump out 560hp/516lb-ft, but comparing a large station wagon costing £77,000 (about $124,000 USD) to a sleek sports car that will cost half of that is just comical.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/chevrol...whats-big-deal
My first reply to this guy would be Stay in the UK then and keep your foolish comments to yourself. But in the end he is right. The UK snobs with have their opinins as will the Porsche lovers. I know very few Porsche-aholics that have anything good to say about a Corvette and the same can be said in reverse. As a person the has owned them all. 997TT and Z06 and a ZR1 I can tell you they are night and day different. The 997TT feels small and nibble and yes its fun to drive. The Vette, any of my C5 or C6 cars, just feels better when your driving agressively. They sound better too. WAY BETTER.

I owned a late model GTR as well. I had GMS is SoCal upgrade the turbos and do a tune. When it left AZ it had 400 AWD and it came back 625 AWDHP. The car was a blast to drive and created a pile of on lookers at every stop light and packing lot. I can honestly say its the best all around car I have ever owned but....it aint a Vette. For one it sounds like crap and the Vette sounds guturl. So for all the car I have had (not bragging just saying) My favorite car to drive is my Granatelli Twin Turbo'd 2011 GS Convert. Its not the fastest car I have ever had and not the best handling but its the best all around car I know of that does it all way more wrong than wrong.

Now on to the arrogant Audi Idiot. Audi builds great cars. If you ever drive one you will be amazed just how solld they feel from a cheap entry level A4 to my 2012 Vette RS R8 V10. I purchased this car becuase it made me feel young and sounded incredible. Not like a reg V10 Audi or Lambo, the RS version exhuast is spectacular. For $240k it should be. Talk about buyers remorse - the car is no on par with my brother in laws new Vert 427 Vette for speed, not by a long shot. Top up at 80 mph the audi is better but 70k vs 249k better - NOPE.

So Audis is awesome but not fast - they handle great but not the best. If you live in the snow then perhaps. I live in Scottsdale AZ. Its hot as hell 80% of the year so screw all the crap about snow and how well they perform

The RS6 needs to focus on the E63, CTS-V, M5 and perhaps New Jag or A-Martin. Something tells me the CTS-V will eat the audis lunch. I also own a 2012 E63 with TT V8 Engine from Factory. I installed simple dealer legal "reflash" and ran 11.55 @ 121 in the heat with my wife in the car. If I had to do it all over again I would have not purchase the Merc. I love the car but it has no real personality

So lets wrap this up. I am a whore I love all cars - But I am all about my Vettes
Old 01-22-2013, 02:37 PM   #10
GaBoy25

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6/2500HD Lmm LTZ
They're comparing the wrong vette.:sad:
GaBoy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #11
OctaneZ28
Camaro Disciple

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to OctaneZ28 Send a message via Yahoo to OctaneZ28
For $124,000 you can have TWO 2014 Stingrays, and mod them both to run circles around the silly Audi.

I ain't skeered.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:08 PM   #12
GaBoy25

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6/2500HD Lmm LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
For $124,000 you can have TWO 2014 Stingrays, and mod them both to run circles around the silly Audi.

I ain't skeered.
:nono: me neither
GaBoy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:45 PM   #13
Dee

Drives: Camaro ZL1,BMW 750i,Trailblazer SS
RS6 LOL wait for the ZO6 and ZR1!
Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:58 PM   #14
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
RS6 LOL wait for the ZO6 and ZR1!
Meh, please don't bring the ZR1 back for about ten to fifteen years. The Z06 can handle it. I'd like for something to stay somewhat rare. Of course, my opinion doesn't really matter.