Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-28-2015, 07:36 PM   #1
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Things I Should Know About a V8

I'm currently considering trading up to a V8 and I would like to know if you guys had any helpful tips or advice that I should know before I do it? Things I'm looking for are things like maybe not buying a certain year? Are there problems that I should be on the lookout for with the LS3 or L99 motor? Is there a year that had a lot of problems? Etc. I currently own a v6 so I don't know much about the v8 but I do know things like not buying a 2010-2011 v6 now and wanted to know if there were similar tips like this with the v8?

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:43 PM   #2
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
L99 if you want to drag race.

I'd get a newer one with the electric power steering pump, they seem to make good power.
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:49 PM   #3
Bizaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Redhot 1LE
Get the LS3 because it comes with the man pedal. 2nd its a true and tried engine. 3rd With the man pedal you can rev out the engine and stay high in the rpms and the engine sounds glorious with the pops and crackles.

L99 has AFM and im iffy about its longetivity beause of that. People will tell you you can disable it but even then I DONT TRUST IT. Only reason why the L99 exist is to meet MPG requirements. (dont mean to offend anyone)
Bizaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:53 PM   #4
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
Don't get a 2010 because that's first production year. Obviously the higher the year the better because of more improvements. I don't know exactly what upgrades each year but somone else will. And after the headers installed I find myself listening to less music and just have the window open listing to the rumble. Especially idle
Old 04-28-2015, 10:12 PM   #5
SuperSport2011

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss/rs rally yellow L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizaro View Post
Get the LS3 because it comes with the man pedal. 2nd its a true and tried engine. 3rd With the man pedal you can rev out the engine and stay high in the rpms and the engine sounds glorious with the pops and crackles.

L99 has AFM and im iffy about its longetivity beause of that. People will tell you you can disable it but even then I DONT TRUST IT. Only reason why the L99 exist is to meet MPG requirements. (dont mean to offend anyone)
You are a complete moron.

1) you gotta be compensating for something if a man pedal is such a must for you.

2) no clue what you are talking about.

3) the v8 automatic has paddle shifters and you can bring up the rpm to whatever you want and hold them there as long as you want.

4) I would go to a plastic surgeon, pull down your pants and ask " is there enough money in the world to service my 3rd pedal? "

(Don't mean to offend)

Also grow up, you're a grown man and you present yourself as a insecure teenage boy that's built like a 6 year old school girl. Everybody chooses what they want and what they like. OP here is asking a serious question and you come in here absolutely clueless sharing complete useless info. Educate yourself a bit and then talk.
- Kooks high flow cats - Borla atak 2.5" cat back exhaust - Dyno tune - AFM delete - 94 octane tune - Vitesse paddle shifters - Blacked out rims - Costum painted engine cover - T3 stripes - GM locking gas cap

Last edited by SuperSport2011; 04-28-2015 at 10:27 PM.
SuperSport2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:35 PM   #6
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Upgrade to the V8 period.

After you drive it all these silly questions will go away!
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:03 PM   #7
LS7 427
10.11 @ 136.32

Drives: Black & Yellow 2SS/RS LPE LS7 427
Any V8 will be a good choice. No problems with either the L99 or LS3 platforms. Both have elements that are attractive to the individual driver. I've never heard of any V8 model year that was a stay away from year, doesn't exist. If you choose the L99 with a 6L80 I'd recommend a tune to wake up the transmission, well worth the money spent and is a blast to drive. If you want to track it a bit I'd agree with John and go 6L80. Best of luck, either model in any year will serve you well.

Built, Tuned and Maintained By........
LS7 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:05 PM   #8
BubbaSS
WHAT RED LIGHT?!

Drives: 2011 Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
I'm currently considering trading up to a V8 and I would like to know if you guys had any helpful tips or advice that I should know before I do it? Things I'm looking for are things like maybe not buying a 9 year? Are there problems that I should be on the lookout for with the LS3 or L99 motor? Is there a year that had a lot of problems? Etc. I currently own a v6 so I don't know much about the v8 but I do know things like not buying a 2010-2011 v6 now and wanted to know if there were similar tips like this with the v8?
If you stay stock, you won't see many issues. The LS3/L99 are solid, so feel confident purchasing one. Off the top of my head I can think of 2 common engine related issues that might happen whether stock or modded. The stock oil pump relief valve has been known to get stuck (just happened to me at 28.5k miles) and starter suffers heat soak and starts slow (could be an issue due to its proximity to aftermarket long tubes).
2011 2SS/RS M6 BLACK - VARARAM NO TUNE INTAKE, MODDED AND PORTED TB, PORTED INTAKE MANIFOLD, VITESSE THROTTLE CONTROLLER, DOUG THORLEY LT'S, CATLESS, X-PIPE, 25" STAINLESS WORKS RETRO CHAMBERED MUFFLERS, CUSTOM 2.5" MANDREL BENT EXHAUST, RICHMOND 4.10 GEARS, CUSTOM CAM (231/242 @ 114LSA), MUSTANG DYNO TUNED BY TORQ, 20% CERAMIC TINTS, EIBACH PROKIT SPRINGS 1" DROP, HAWK PERFORMANCE CERAMIC BRAKES, NITTO INVO TIRES, HYDROCARBON TAIL LIGHT AND FOG LIGHT BEZELS BY EMBLEMPROS, METRA DASH KIT, JVC KW-AV71BT, PHOENIX GOLD iAMP GM1, PASSPORT QI45 - 450 RWHP 415 RWTQ
BubbaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:28 PM   #9
Bizaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Redhot 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSport2011 View Post

1) you gotta be compensating for something if a man pedal is such a must for you.

3) the v8 automatic has paddle shifters and you can bring up the rpm to whatever you want and hold them there as long as you want.

4) I would go to a plastic surgeon, pull down your pants and ask " is there enough money in the world to service my 3rd pedal? "

(Don't mean to offend)

Also grow up, you're a grown man and you present yourself as a insecure teenage boy that's built like a 6 year old school girl. Everybody chooses what they want and what they like. OP here is asking a serious question and you come in here absolutely clueless sharing complete useless info. Educate yourself a bit and then talk.
Why so angry?

You cant be serious with comparing automatic paddles with a real manual car.

If you have no clue about ls3 being a true and tried engine then
OP asked if any of these engines have problems.

*****L99 has serious problems with sticky AFM lifters. LS3 doesnt have any of that crap. Inherently LS3 comes manual only and L99 comes with automatic only. ******

You enjoy your automatic and ill enjoy my manual track star.

Oh and please dont talk about pulling peoples pants down then calling me immature wtf is that?

I will leave you with this to simmer over.
(Don't mean to offend)
Attached Images

Bizaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:29 PM   #10
CreeperRS

Drives: 20’ Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Engine oil change: 8 qts.
Differential: 1qt.
Transmission: 4.2 qts. (LS3)
Old 04-29-2015, 02:42 AM   #11
bionick

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Quote:

(Don't mean to offend)

No offense but I have had both, an automatic Camaro with paddle shifters and I currently have an LS3. Although the paddle shifters are cool it is still not even close to the same thing as a manual.
Transmission type is completely personal preferance and its cool however you want it but
As said I have had both and I would definitley say the manual trans is much more fun. And you are wasting your money and gas (seeing how it's a v8) if you bought an SS Camaro not to have fun with it. Just my opinion.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:46 AM   #12
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
in 12 you get the better FE4 suspension and better looking interior with the leather dash insert, steering wheel and CD player. 2013 has mylink with only mp3 playback. 2SS has backup camera and parking sensors. The 6.2l is the best v8 ever built. no problems at all with them and they get great mileage. Stock i got 27mpg @ 75 all day long every time. the best i ever saw was 29mpg but i was trying to get it diving like i was 80. The only time i saw under 20mpg was if i could get a ticket. Others will say different but thats what i got calculate miles/gallons. 2012 2SS was the best year for the 5th gen. The only difference between the 12 and 13 is you loose the cd player and get the mylink with only mp3 playback. Some can't tell the difference between mp3s 192kbps vs a CD 1000kbps quality. I can MP3s sound muddy to me. Put better speakers and a amp and you can really tell the difference.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 02:47 AM   #13
bionick

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
I'm happy with my 2010. Only thing I miss is the rear camera was nice and the improved dash on the 2012+ but I could swap all those out pretty easily. Also I believe there are suspension upgraded from the 2012+ but if you got a 2010 it would be cheaper and you can just upgrade stuff yourself. To me the few grand price difference isn't worth it but just depends on your budget. Got my 2010 in January with low miles and was exactly what I was looking for and a smokin deal that I couldn't resist. Plus my options were pretty slim as there weren't many manuals for sale in my area and I personally would never buy a v8 automatic Camaro. I too traded up from v6 to v8. You can get a 2010 2ss rs mid 20's or so and regardless of the cheap looking plastic dash, it still looks nice with the accent trim package etc
Old 04-29-2015, 05:56 AM   #14
jman17

Drives: 2011 SS-2/1969 SS
Quote:

(Don't mean to offend)

And the idiot shows up..

2011 SS-2 LS3 M6 MODS: P1X ProCharger, Squash dual fuel pumps, ID fuel injectors, Cam: Pat G designed/EPS Ground (228/234 .629”/.629” 114 LSA +4 advance), Lethal Racing ported throttle-body and intake manifold, Kooks 1 7/8” Long Tube Headers, Dynomax Bullet Cat-Back System, Skip Shift Eliminator
jman17 is offline   Reply With Quote