Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-14-2015, 01:15 PM   #1
zissophiss

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
What is a muffler delete?

Do you actually just get rid of your mufflers? How does that work and what are the consequences when you go to your annual inspection? What are the benefits? This was not a term I was familiar with back in the 80's when I had my first muscle car.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

zissophiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:27 PM   #2
thegreatwhite

Drives: 2014 SS
when you cut the mufflers off. consequences of no mufflers depends what state your pulled over in
thegreatwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:45 PM   #3
zissophiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatwhite View Post
when you cut the mufflers off. consequences of no mufflers depends what state your pulled over in
Wouldn't you have to replace it with a straight pipe to continue moving the exhaust back out to the rear?
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

Old 04-14-2015, 01:48 PM   #4
malave7567

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by zissophiss View Post
Wouldn't you have to replace it with a straight pipe to continue moving the exhaust back out to the rear?
Yes, that is what most people who do muffler deletes have done. They usually just get some pipe welded in with whatever tip they want welded at the end.
malave7567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:54 PM   #5
zissophiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by malave7567 View Post
Yes, that is what most people who do muffler deletes have done. They usually just get some pipe welded in with whatever tip they want welded at the end.
Other than the car being louder, are there any other upsides/downsides to doing it?

Old 04-14-2015, 02:08 PM   #6
mat300z
Emerald Coast Camaro's

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by zissophiss View Post
Other than the car being louder, are there any other upsides/downsides to doing it?
Just makes your car sound a whole lot better..imho...do you have a manual or auto?
mat300z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 03:48 PM   #7
CRF8
Scenic City Camaro

Drives: 2022 Camaro ZL-1 /1974 Firebird 400
You save some weight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-2015, 04:56 PM   #8
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
I have it on my car and it makes it sound AWESOME. No axle back is too loud and there are no negatives. I just got header and hi flow cats put on and it sounds even better.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:34 PM   #9
bionick

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
With stock headers and cats it's really not that loud..
When I bought my car it had Stock exhaust and headers except had a muffler delete. I expected it to be much louder than it was. Now match the muffler delete with some long tube headers and no cats and you will be real loud!
Old 04-14-2015, 07:43 PM   #10
zissophiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat300z View Post
Just makes your car sound a whole lot better..imho...do you have a manual or auto?
Mine is a 6 speed manual.

Does it cause any issues with inspection? We do have them in NC.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:42 PM   #11
Sam94

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS RS
Will a muffler delete void your powertrain warranty ?
Old 04-14-2015, 09:08 PM   #12
SuperSport2011

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss/rs rally yellow L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam94 View Post
Will a muffler delete void your powertrain warranty ?
No it will not.
- Kooks high flow cats - Borla atak 2.5" cat back exhaust - Dyno tune - AFM delete - 94 octane tune - Vitesse paddle shifters - Blacked out rims - Costum painted engine cover - T3 stripes - GM locking gas cap
SuperSport2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:10 AM   #13
LS3 Handler
I love the LS3

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS Manual
Don't quote me but you shouldn't have issues in NC with not having mufflers. It doesn't mess with emissions if you live in an emissions checked county but i see you live in Charlotte so it should be emissions checked. It also depends on where you go. I cut the exhaust on my blazer in front of the rear axle and one place failed me because your suppose to have the exhaust exit out from the chassis. Another place didn't care and passed me. There should be performance shops in the area have them do the inspection.
LS3 Handler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:38 AM   #14
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by bionick View Post
With stock headers and cats it's really not that loud. When I bought my car it had Stock exhaust and headers except had a muffler delete. I expected it to be much louder than it was. Now match the muffler delete with some long tube headers and no cats and you will be real loud!
And real illegal in (probably) every state. You can do a lot to the exhaust system to make it sound better/louder, and still be legal... but "no cats" will get you a nice fat fine when you get caught.

Oh yeah... and with a straight through exhaust, your neighbors will hate you.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote