The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 11-29-2013, 09:51 PM   #15
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
Chevy has said all along the standard tire is summer-only and that an all-season tire would be available soon after introduction. It seems you have more of a beef with Chevy than I do. I can respect that, and agree safety should always be at the forefront of everyone's thinking. But everyone should do a little thinking for themselves, too, not just wait until someone tells them they should think this or do that. Every driver, regardless of make or model of vehicle, should put effort into learning about their new vehicle, and understanding its abilities and limitations. Cars are not "point and shoot" like so many seem to think. They should read the owner's manual. They should ask decent questions of their salesperson. And perhaps most of all, understand their own limitations. Not everyone is skilled enough to drive every car out there at anything remotely approaching its limits. In fact, many are just plain stupid about how they drive, regardless of what steering wheel they have hold of. No amount of education or warning from a manufacturer will ever get some to drive sane.

I think we can agree to disagree on interpretation of published information on the tires. I for one do understand their limits, and have since early spring when Stinrgay specs started hitting the web. I fully planned way back then that for my situation, all-season tires would be a must, and regularly kept up with news on the web regarding them for our cars. I ordered accordingly, and in turn will be prepared when the weather really goes down hill here in the near future. If others out there have not anticipated possible issues of running summer-only tires in the winter, well, shame on them! It's not like this is the first time a car came from the factory equipped that way. Numerous models of the C6 Corvette, Camaro, Mustang, Viper, Porsche, BMW, Ferrarri and others have too over the past several years.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:30 AM   #16
GreenC7Z-51

Drives: '04 C5 Z06 Le Mans, '14 C7 Z51
I just put on the pilot sports on my Z51 today, so I can say that they are available. I can also report they have very good grip on the dry! I will have plenty of opportunity to check them out in all conditions soon. I went with nitrogen vs air, and the run smooth and quiet.
GreenC7Z-51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:45 AM   #17
Richardlord

Drives: Dodge Magnum RT Hemi AWD
I agree consumers have a responsibility to themselves to find out for themselves what they are buying. Most folks shall especially previous owners who know the issue. That said, Chevy also has a responsibility to the consumer for a complete and safe driving experience. Chevy fell short on its end where I believe it could have and should now act more responsibly. There are going to be a lot of first time Corvette buyers for the C7 and a number of needless accidents as a result of their inexperience due in part to lack of proper Chevy notification and the offering of cold weather tires. I think Chevy should now come out and rectify this situation by offering the cold weather Michelins as an option, or recommending them, and in so doing notifying us there is a danger in our using summer tires on our C7s we are getting this fall and winter. My guess is there is and shall be much ignorance and even confusion over this issue until Chevy steps up and takes proper ownership of this issue. As for me, I shall buy an extra set of black rims and the proper cold weather Michelins. This way, I don't risk scratching up rims changing out my summer tires all the time and they shall not spot.
Richardlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:40 AM   #18
Liltrekkie

Drives: Future C7
It states in the owners manual (I think, last I checked) That the OE tires were summer only and not to be driven in cold weather. They have also stated this many times over the course of press events and what not. And I'm pretty sure all major auto magazines have covered this as well.

Do Porsche, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Koenigsegg, and other car companies have the same responsibility as Chevy when it comes to fall/winter deliveries? You don;t see their owners complaining on what tires they should use in the fall and winter for delivery.

The Stingray was developed around these tires, and personally it's unfair to them to satisfy everyone with no tires, and consequently with a price markup because a few people can't read not to take this car out on cold days. I do believe there was a TSB on the Camaro SS 1LE because the tires are summer only and people were taking them out int he cold and ruining tires. Now, do you see them complain about wanting all seasons for delivery over there? Of course. But the amount of deliveries verse complaining is very very small.

So like I said, it's kind of dumb for Chevy to spend a whole bunch of money just to satisfy a couple people who didn't read.
Liltrekkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:52 AM   #19
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
And in my opinion, if a person is that concerned about winter-weather driving their Corvette, park it and take your SUV, truck or all-wheel drive car like 99% of Corvette owners! Only a very small percentage use the Corvette as a daily driver year-round. Most buy it as a hobby car, and drive something else to work and for grocery getting. And people need to accept some personal responsibility for their actions, or inactions, not continue to blame everyone else for every little thing that's not to their liking. The summer versus winter tire issue has been known for months before the car even started to be built for the public, and announced so by Chevrolet and Michelin both. Even the Stingray owner's manual was available early in the summer as a free download from the Chevrolet website. Virtually every early magazine review of the car also mentioned the tires were summer only. Chevrolet DID do what it could to let owners know. It's in no way their fault if a handful of owners couldn't be bothered to actually read the info already out there. And dealerships are NOT owned by Chevrolet, nor are salespeople employed by Chevrolet. All are independent, so how can Chevrolet be responsible for them? If you're mad at anyone, try the less-than-reputable salepeople who are in it just for a quick buck, or even the car owners who think they can stomp the gas pedal in a 455hp sports car like its their 280hp grocery getter, and are suddenly surprised when they find out its not!

I still don't grasp how you can be so upset with only Chevrolet when every manufacturer of every performance car in the world has handled the tire issue in exactly the same way! I've had my Stingray for nearly 2 months, and have over 3100 miles on it, nearly all of which I drove in sub-45 degree temps. Yes, I've experienced first hand the tires slipping. But I pay attention, adapt my driving technique to the conditions, and ease up. Which is what every driver of every car on the road should be doing, and not just jumping up and blaming a manufacturer for "bad tires" or whatever. The issue has been known publicly for MONTHS, and the solution is out there, and known to be. As a responsible Stingray owner, I have put my findings out there for others to perhaps gain insight and knowledge from so they too can better enjoy their Stingray. If that's not enough, then maybe a Stingray isn't your best choice for a new car purchase. Or any automotive product for that matter, as not one is perfect by any stretch of the imagination.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:49 AM   #20
GreenC7Z-51

Drives: '04 C5 Z06 Le Mans, '14 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels65 View Post
Here are a couple of links to information about the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 tires that are available for both the standard and Z51 C7.

http://www.michelinman.com/mediabin/...t_Guide_HR.pdf

http://michelinmedia.com/news/michel...ort-as-3-tire/

Hope this helps.
The tires I had installed were Michelin Pilot Sport + A/W, they have a better tread pattern than the one above IMO.
They come with one year Roadside assistance. That will be handy if you have a flat, but I also plan to Carry a plug kit and compressor.
GreenC7Z-51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:12 PM   #21
Richardlord

Lots of chatter out there on this topic- See http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...dations-3.html Lots of angst and anger at GM, and others apathetic or apologectic. The fact we are even having this discussion at all is telling as to a problem, which first is a lack of adequate GM consumer guidance, but ultilmately, the lack of a C7 cold weather tire purchase option or a tire(s) endorsement.

The fact we need a run flat tire compounds the problem. I am not about to drive a non run flat tire on a run flat tire car. Not a good idea to have a car that costs well over 50G stranded on the side of the road in the middle of the night in winter. This is an accident or jacking waiting to happen.

And what, not drive it for six months? Next September with the misses I shall be off on a C7 month tour across country and back to about two dozen national parks. Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Bryce etc. shall get below 40 at times. Probably shall run summer tires, maybe better to run all-weather tires, but not about to risk running a non run flat tire. Therein lies a dilemma, to be or not to be in a summer tire, that is the question. Whether tis nobler to suffer the slings and arrows of outragous tire misfortune on a summer tire or an all weather non run flat tire, or to be no more whatever I chose.

GM has to show better leadership - not just churn out C7s and leave buyers to fend for themselves on the tire issue giving what amounts to fine print. The end result is predictable. First time buyers are particularly vulnerable to mishap, to put it mildly.

Why did GM not have a cold weather tire at C7 release this fall? Why does not GM heavily endorse and promote a cold weather tire? Why is Michelin not up to speed on promoting its tire for the C7 if that is the solution? Again, corps letting us down.

Just expected a better sense of GM corporate responsibility towards the C7 buyer in putting out a missle of a car in cold weather with inadequate summer tires where the rubber at times does not meet the road.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:08 PM   #22
Liltrekkie

Drives: Future C7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardlord View Post
Lots of chatter out there on this topic- See http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...dations-3.html Lots of angst and anger at GM, and others apathetic or apologectic. The fact we are even having this discussion at all is telling as to a problem, which first is a lack of adequate GM consumer guidance, but ultilmately, the lack of a C7 cold weather tire purchase option or a tire(s) endorsement.

The fact we need a run flat tire compounds the problem. I am not about to drive a non run flat tire on a run flat tire car. Not a good idea to have a car that costs well over 50G stranded on the side of the road in the middle of the night in winter. This is an accident or jacking waiting to happen.

And what, not drive it for six months? Next September with the misses I shall be off on a C7 month tour across country and back to about two dozen national parks. Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Bryce etc. shall get below 40 at times. Probably shall run summer tires, maybe better to run all-weather tires, but not about to risk running a non run flat tire. Therein lies a dilemma, to be or not to be in a summer tire, that is the question. Whether tis nobler to suffer the slings and arrows of outragous tire misfortune on a summer tire or an all weather non run flat tire, or to be no more whatever I chose.

GM has to show better leadership - not just churn out C7s and leave buyers to fend for themselves on the tire issue giving what amounts to fine print. The end result is predictable. First time buyers are particularly vulnerable to mishap, to put it mildly.

Why did GM not have a cold weather tire at C7 release this fall? Why does not GM heavily endorse and promote a cold weather tire? Why is Michelin not up to speed on promoting its tire for the C7 if that is the solution? Again, corps letting us down.

Just expected a better sense of GM corporate responsibility towards the C7 buyer in putting out a missle of a car in cold weather with inadequate summer tires where the rubber at times does not meet the road.
Michelin and GM built this tire for this car, plus the fact if you look on Tire Rack, they do have tires for the Corvette Stingray, with and with Z51. Now, the Corvette Zo6 and Grand sport and ZR1 didn't have winter tires as options.
Why complain now?
Liltrekkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #23
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
Why complain now? New to the Corvette world could be an answer.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:12 PM   #24
Richardlord

We all know Michelin built the stock (summer) tire specifically for the C7 Z51 for GM, and no other tire, including a cold weather tire. The Tire Rack is not specifically recommending a Michelin cold weather tire; rather, for the C7 & Z51, a Pirelli cold weather tire version that is not a run flat. Pirelli has cold weather run flats that the Tire Rack says are available, but the Tire Rack does not specifically recommend those tires, just the non run flat tire for the C7 Z51. Go figure. The Tire Rack offers other choices including the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3, and I shall probably buy that tire if it is a run flat, but some have questioned if it is a run flat. I am sure there shall be aftermarket cold weather tires for the Z51, but again run flats? However, GM is saying to stick only with Chevy endorsed products for tires and wheels. GM has not yet endorsed and/or does not yet offer a cold weather tire, so we are in a Catch 22.

Legit complaint regardless of the world, and I am among good company making it. I am sure most of us buying a C7 have experience with high performance cars and tires. Just because it is a Corvette does not excuse continuing corporate irresponsibly as to tire safety offerings/non-offerings. GM has left us solely to our own devices to figure out a cold weather tire. As a serious safety issue, that is not responsible corporate behavior, and it is worthy of complaint. A $50K advanced high performance sports car, and its buyer, deserve better than that.

I contacted GM by email, and it avoided the issue by advising me to contact my dealer. I'll update when I talk to my dealer. Just talked with Chevy - told me neither does it have a cold weather tire as an option nor could it recommend a specific cold weather tire for my area, and to contact my Chevy dealer. Just talked to my Chevy dealer - told me it could not make a recommedation at this time, discuss later when my car comes in, and maybe ask a tire dealer. Just talked to a tire dealer - told me it could not make a recommendation, and maybe ask Chevy or my car dealer. Catch 22 x 3. Seems no one wants to take ownership of and responsibility for this issue. Certainly, GM can do better than this on such a critical issue as tire safety. Harrumph!

Talk now is that the Paul Walker crash was tire-related.

This just in - See comments about the summer tires on this cold weather drive - http://jalopnik.com/the-2014-corvett...car-1474670167

Last edited by Richardlord; 12-06-2013 at 12:50 AM.