Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-19-2013, 10:53 AM   #43
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
I'm sure that anyone doing anyone else's job for free will be looked kindly upon. They still get paid no matter who pumps the gas. This isn't an anti-pump jockey post nor an anti-NJ post. This is more like "this is my sh*t and I don't want to risk you f**king up my sh*t no matter your intentions/law" post.

I bought a classic car in NJ once. I pulled into a gas station and hopped out and started pumping my own gas without giving it any thought. The attendant came out and said he was supposed to do that. I told him it was a bit late, but I appreciated the offer. Coming from SC, I didn't know NJ had that law, as I was so used to pumping gas myself. Hell, I used to be a pump jockey back in high school, so I know how to work a pump and I always took care of my customers' cars as if they were my own. He took it well. And it wasn't personal.

Write me a ticket if necessary. I don't give a f** if you have a 100K+ car or not. This is MY car. I don't want a stranger touching MY car without my consent. If I make a mistake and scratch the paint, it's on me. If someone who doesn't have a dog in the hunt scratches my car, I still have to live with it and deal with it, no matter what the cost. And I really don't want to drive off leaving the gas station attendant on fire as he would be if he did scratch my paint. Again, nothing personal.

Anal about my car? You betcha. I don't touch your car, so why should you get to touch mine if I don't want you to? I'll pump my own gas, thankyouverymuch. And I still pay at least 10% less for gas than I would in NJ anyway.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:05 AM   #44
Stecky

Drives: 0000
Quote:
Originally Posted by '11RS View Post
While I don't know that your thinking isn't correct (we used to be not only the most taxed but the highest insurance of the 50 states........ still the most taxed, but insurance has caught up in many other states - thank your state congress folks), the primary reason we have lower gas prices is we have lower taxes on gasoline (go figure). NJ makes it up, and then some, on taxing everything else. Like $12 bridge tolls, etc.
Stecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:52 AM   #45
NYJets77

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-1822 View Post
That is seriously so retarded
not really - have you met anyone from Jersey? Or seem them drive?

yikes.
NYJets77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:40 PM   #46
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
I bought a used car from NJ this past spring, after buying the car myself and the salesman hopped in and drove it up the road a mile to a gas station so they could fill it up for me. I got out to start filling it up and the salesman that came with me told me it was illegal for me to pump my own gas. He was kind of a joker with a dry sense of humor so I thought he was actually kidding me and laughed. Then he got serious about it and I was shocked, I had never heard of that before so it just took me by surprise. I wonder how travelers are supposed to know, I don't recall seeing any signs or anything there at the station? There may have been signage, but I wasn't looking for and reading them if they were there, mostly because I have never not pumped my own gas in my entire life, and I have drove in at least 20 other states. In the end it was a funny learning experience, but it definitely had me baffled at the time.
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #47
All Star
I'm an Engineer

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Send a message via AIM to All Star
I really wonder how any of you work up the courage to take your Camaros out of the garage, if you are scared to even let a gas station attendant fill up your gas tank.

All Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:57 PM   #48
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Was your sig pic ↑↑↑ taken at Bader Field?

[/off-topic]

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:06 PM   #49
Josh The People

Drives: TT 10' SS -> 16' SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Star View Post
I really wonder how any of you work up the courage to take your Camaros out of the garage, if you are scared to even let a gas station attendant fill up your gas tank.
Its quite a challenge, I struggle with it every day 99% of the time I walk away, just cant bring myself to do it lol
Old 12-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #50
Craig B

Drives: 2013 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJets77 View Post
not really - have you met anyone from Jersey? Or seem them drive?

yikes.
New Yorkers got them beat by a mile, for the worst driving
Craig B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #51
Arbgast

Drives: DRIVES 2014 2SS RS convertible
I just always make sure they push 92 and not 87. Plus 2 weeks ago when it was below zero and the attendant was shaking he was so cold , not so bad then that I can't pump my gas. IMO
Arbgast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:00 PM   #52
snymat68

Drives: 2013 Blue Ray 1LS M6
My biggest issue with this law is that it takes away my right to choose whether I want to pump the gas myself or not. I'm all for people having jobs and cheaper gas prices and drivers not wanting to do it themselves or brave the elements. All I'm saying is don't make it mandatory and force it on me. Why not have full service gas stations where customers have the choice to let the attendant handle everything, but still have the option to do it themselves if they want to? I rarely travel to NJ (and probably will never drive to OR), but when I do I'll be sure to exercise my right to choose, and fill up on this side of the border.
Elite Catch Can | CAI Intake with Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | MRT v2 Axle-Back Exhaust | MagnaFlow Resonated X-Pipe | Resonator Delete | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | GM Strut Tower Brace | JDP Tow Hook | Vitesse Throttle Controller
Aesthetic Mods
Chrome Peek-A-Boo Door Handles | Interior Accessories Kit | OEM RS HIDs w/ 6000k Bulbs & 5000k LED Fogs | Tail Light, Marker Light, & Turn Signal Tint | Tru-Sequence Sequential Turn Signals & Brake Lights | Silver Fade Gill Stripes | Carbon Fiber Bowties | Various Chrome/Painted/Carbon Fiber Items
snymat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:03 PM   #53
Austin45
The Logistician

Drives: 2012 LFX 45th Anniversary
When I went to Oregon last summer, I got out and started pumping my own gas and I thought the world was ending. The guy's face in the Prius looked like I just killed a baby or something.

It is illegal in both states to pump your own gas. Only "certified" attendants can do it.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:03 AM   #54
Dfault

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Here in the south we pump our own gas!
Dfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:45 AM   #55
GroundPilot

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS "Bridgette"
Quote:
Originally Posted by '11RS View Post
Hardly. One of the best things about living in NJ is not pumping your own gas when the wind is 20mph and the temp is 15F. Same when there is no wind and it is 98F. Same when it is nice weather and you want to go inside for a bottle of water or whatever and when you get back the car is ready to roll. Lots of upside.
Its retarded to have it codified into law. You do not want to get your ass out in the cold? Pay more for full service...do not use the barrel of a gun (i.e. govt edict) to force others to do the same.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:47 AM   #56
GroundPilot

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS "Bridgette"
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
A. In Jersey, yes. Be assertive. The attendant has to swipe the pump with his card, but you will be able to do the fill. Just get out ahead of time to be there and get ready before he comes and tell him your intentions. It's an old law from the 50's.
Do you have to give them your PIN/Zip too? No way in hell I would do that.