The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 07-30-2014, 09:31 AM   #1
JoshuaKM1

Drives: BMW 535i
Invest in Detailing Products vs. Paying for Detailing

Hey everyone,

I just placed my order for a 2015 C7 after spending months researching sports cars so needless to say I am VERY excited. I have never washed my own cars but it is very obvious that you need to either pay people to hand wash/detail the car or do it yourself.

Would it be significantly more cost effective to just buy detailing products or do most of you just pay people to do it?

I know that Adams Polishes and autogeek.com offer great products... are there any other companies that you recommend? What is the major equipment that you need to buy? Just a pressure hose and a vacuum? Any suggestions on brands for these products?

Thanks!

Josh
JoshuaKM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:56 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
All my detailing docs here....I use blackfire from autogeek but it's the procedure that's important, not the mfr. hundreds now are doing it this way and it's written just for people that are brand new to EASY detailing:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/aojiu7ykl...70beIefRoeD7Ya
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:03 PM   #3
JoshuaKM1

Drives: BMW 535i
Awesome thanks Glen. In hot anticipation of my 2015 C7 I have been reading a lot of forum posts about the value of having an XPEL paint guard installed. Just curious what your thoughts are on XPEL & I assume this would simplify the exterior cleaning routine?
JoshuaKM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:12 PM   #4
Glen e

I like xpel if you are going to use the car a lot. I think doing the whole car is overkill and would do the front, partial hood, mirrors and rockers, cost should be 800-1200 and the installer skill is critical, it's not an easy install.

It does really chsnge the cleaning routine, it's for rock protection. Still needs to be sealed with something like my step 3....
Old 07-30-2014, 03:52 PM   #5
RottenII

Drives: 2014 C7 1LT Z51
I detailed my black C7 yesterday for the first time using Glens method. The car came out great and I enjoy the satisfaction of doing it myself. I will say the down side to all those great Blackfire products is trying to get the cover on the car by myself. The surface is so slick I had a heck of a time getting one end to stay on long enough the get to the other side .
RottenII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:17 PM   #6
regguy1

Drives: 2014 Corvette Coupe
Blackfire Wet Diamond Polymer is great, just did my entire car in 25 minutes, makes the color pop
regguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 02:45 PM   #7
Jeff7

Drives: C7 2LT
I followed Glen E's instructions and am very happy with the results! Even did my 6+ year old car with the added compounding step and got the same great shine. I won't use waxes anymore.
Jeff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 03:46 PM   #8
johnu

Drives: 1981 C3, 2014 C7
Joshua,
The key here is to try washing your existing cars and see if you like to do it. For many here it is a life long passion, that for me is actually relaxation. If you find you hate taking time to do it..... pay to have it done. Done the wrong way.... like washing in the direct sun and letting it air dry will make it look worse.
johnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:51 PM   #9
ralphmagin

Drives: 2002 Porsche 911 Cab Silver/Black
Sounds great. I have a Porsche 911, dreaming of a C7. I have been a fan of Griots & Mothers. I will try it your way. Thanks
ralphmagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:27 PM   #10
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphmagin View Post
Sounds great. I have a Porsche 911, dreaming of a C7. I have been a fan of Griots & Mothers. I will try it your way. Thanks

It's not about a single mfr of products, they all make good stuff, if you like griots and mothers?

Use the griots orbital with a good pad, find a good finishing polish by them and then a sealant , my choice needs no buffing...but use what you like. Read my stuff, the "secret" is it's all in the tools and procedure. My writings are just about how to do it easily without being a Detailer for years.

Last edited by Glen e; 07-31-2014 at 09:51 PM.