Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-07-2017, 11:12 PM   #1
1Sail0r

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Help making my idle louder

Hey all,

So i just bought a borla atak axleback and it sounds great under WOT, especially when you're cruising and the RPMs drop below 3k there's a very satisfying crackle. However, I'm very unimpressed with the sound at idle, can barely appreciate it. My friend with a 6cyl charger and flowmastwr 40 axleback a gas a much meaner and fuller sound at idle, and he paid less than I did for his exhaust!

Anyone have any tips or next steps I can take?
1Sail0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:22 PM   #2
The Blue Angel

Drives: 2014 BRM 1SS/RS
Go long tube and catless!! Then get a good tune afterwards!!
Old 06-07-2017, 11:41 PM   #3
SSeniorMoment

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 A6 IOM
LTs are a noticable sound improvement, especially when you get into it. Cams can make a big difference too.
SSeniorMoment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:48 PM   #4
1Sail0r

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I just wonder why it's so quiet, I thought the ATAK was the loudest exhaust available for the camaro. Is it possible to install long tube headers with an axleback? I thought you needed a full system for that
1Sail0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:00 AM   #5
SSeniorMoment

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 A6 IOM
Yes, LTs w/hi flow cats will match up with the factory pipes. I went that way until the Stainless Works 3" retro chamber exhaust was installed. Now that the SS is cammed, the exhaust needs to be toned down a bit.
SSeniorMoment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:26 AM   #6
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Sail0r View Post
I just wonder why it's so quiet, I thought the ATAK was the loudest exhaust available for the camaro. Is it possible to install long tube headers with an axleback? I thought you needed a full system for that
Have you stock resonaters cut out and have a Magnaflow tru x pipe installed. No you dont need the whole system for long tubes.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:34 AM   #7
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Sail0r View Post
Hey all,

So i just bought a borla atak axleback and it sounds great under WOT, especially when you're cruising and the RPMs drop below 3k there's a very satisfying crackle. However, I'm very unimpressed with the sound at idle, can barely appreciate it. My friend with a 6cyl charger and flowmastwr 40 axleback a gas a much meaner and fuller sound at idle, and he paid less than I did for his exhaust!

Anyone have any tips or next steps I can take?
You have the axleback with your stock resonaters still in place. When you buy the cat back you get the x pipe with it. So if you remove your stock resonaters and install an non resonated x pipe it will sound like this....is this much louder then your setup?

rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:53 AM   #8
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
You have the axleback with your stock resonaters still in place. When you buy the cat back you get the x pipe with it. So if you remove your stock resonaters and install an non resonated x pipe it will sound like this....is this much louder then your setup?
Damn that sounds good!!!

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:45 AM   #9
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
I must sound like a broken record on here but, get high-flow cats ASAP! I can't stress it enough. The stock cats put a strangle hold on the exhaust.

Here is my car (1st vid-with stock manifolds, high-flow cats and Flowmaster mufflers. 2nd vid-with BBK shorties installed):

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".

Last edited by DRKS1D3; 06-08-2017 at 05:58 AM.
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:06 AM   #10
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
DRKS1D3 beat me to it. High flow cats are a quick win. The factory cats are the biggest choke point on the factory exhaust. IF you are planning on going with headers later and you want long tube headers, they will make a significant difference in the idle sound. The other option would be exhaust cut outs or diverters. However, with the factory cats it will still idle somewhat quietly. When I was installing my catback I had to hear what the car sounded like without anything past the factory cats and it was surprisingly quiet for no mufflers. Don't get me wrong, it was much louder, but it was not as loud as I thought it would be. My long tube headers with cats and my catback is louder than shorty headers out factory cats and nothing else.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:59 AM   #11
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Start with the x-pipe first.
Your stock exhaust is great....flows pretty good.
I would wait on the hi-flo cats till you decide if you want headers (which will require a tune).
I say this because when you get headers....everyrhing changes and the hi-flo's you would buy now wont bolt up to the headers...so you'll end up wasting money.
The other issue is when you remove too many parts of your exhaust before the headers...you'll end up with one hell of a noisy/droning exhaust you may not like.
Rule of thumb here....exhaust starts at the front.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:19 PM   #12
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Will HF cats cause any issues with emissions or codes? I'm assuming that they're still fully functional cats....right?
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:52 PM   #13
PostNup
CAR-DASHIAN

Drives: 2015 Ashen Gray Metallic 2SS/RS L99
I have a set of JBA 2 2/1" inlet and outlet (stock exhaust connections) for sale. They have about 5K miles on them. They even have the rear O2s connected.

Should not throw a code. These with a CAI might throw one, but O2 extender plug-ins are like $5 and will keep that from happening.

$200 plus the ride.
PERFORMANCE: ColdAirInductions CAI, ADM Race Scoop, Cordes Performance Racing Ported TB/IM/Custom VVT Cam, WFO Milled Heads, Stainless Power 1 7/8" LT/3" HFCs, JBA 3" Comp. Cat-Back, Taylor 10.4mm Plug Wires, Tim King Performance Stage 3 6L80, Circle D Billet 3600 Stall, Nic D ECM/TCM Tune, - 458rwhp/413rwtq (prior to PIM), Forgestar F14 (F)18" / (R)17" Rims.

SUSPENSION: Z/28 Rear UCA Bushings, Carlyle Racing LCA/TA, BMR Adj. Toe Rods/Xtreme Anti-Roll Bar, Justice Pete Castor Locks/Radius Rod Inserts, Pegasus Billet Rear Cradle Bushings, Mickey Thompson Street SS II 305/45/17 tires.
PostNup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:56 PM   #14
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
Will HF cats cause any issues with emissions or codes? I'm assuming that they're still fully functional cats....right?
No issues. They are essentially just there for a visual, emissions inspection. The high-flows don't do much, if anything at all, in terms of being an actual cat. Increased flow, increased power, increased sound and a significant decrease in weight as well. All of that stock junk weighed a ton. Between losing the manifolds, the stock cats and the stock mufflers, a lot of weight has been removed. I ran my high-flows for ~1 year before adding the BBK shorties. My set-up is essentially straight through now. The car runs much better and sounds a lot better too.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote