Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-05-2016, 11:35 AM   #71
EZurcher

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les7311 View Post
I went from 6th to 3rd and felt like I deployed a parachute, couple quickie to get up into 5th. 2nd gear maybe possible.........
Gotta match those revs as you downshift. She'll rocket for sure.
EZurcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 12:42 PM   #72
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZurcher View Post
Gotta match those revs as you downshift. She'll rocket for sure.
For sure. 3rd gear will break every speed limit in the USA.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:56 AM   #73
grahak2

Drives: 2021 scatpack challenger 6spd cinna
Hey guys about the rev matching, does it matter if you blip the throttle and then put it in gear or can you get in the lower gear and with the clutch down blip the throttle and then let up. Because you got to be pretty quick to blip and then get in gear before the rpms slow down. Consider that I don't blip the throttle and just started trying today. Usually I would down shift and just give it gas to try and offset the jump in rpms, but since I have seen about everyone say you need to rev match I believe you guys and want to treat my transmission good. In my mind if the clutch is down it doesn't matter when you blip the throttle but I am willing to learn from some more experienced drivers.

Thanks,
Kevin
grahak2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:29 PM   #74
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Kevin, sounds like you just need some practicing. Shifting into the right gears, rev-matching, etc. Rev-Matching can be done very quickly
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:43 PM   #75
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
From 6th to 4th, its a rocket... from 6th to 3rd, warp speed.

Last edited by Spec; 07-06-2016 at 02:57 PM.
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 02:46 PM   #76
Freddy G

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE /2011 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahak2 View Post
Hey guys about the rev matching, does it matter if you blip the throttle and then put it in gear or can you get in the lower gear and with the clutch down blip the throttle and then let up. Because you got to be pretty quick to blip and then get in gear before the rpms slow down. Consider that I don't blip the throttle and just started trying today. Usually I would down shift and just give it gas to try and offset the jump in rpms, but since I have seen about everyone say you need to rev match I believe you guys and want to treat my transmission good. In my mind if the clutch is down it doesn't matter when you blip the throttle but I am willing to learn from some more experienced drivers.

Thanks,
Kevin
Clutch in, blip, downshift, clutch off. but do it at 10X speed. More practice that's all. Remember the first week I got my car, I rev match every gear from 5 to 2 at every stop light.. People look at me and shake their heads.. But I don't care, Just too much fun!
Freddy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:17 PM   #77
The Blue Angel

Drives: 2014 BRM 1SS/RS
You can only downshift 2 gears. I have pressed it three times before and it wouldn't let me go past 2 downshifted gears!!

Tap the gas pedal twice then put in down to the floor!! Just make sure you are ready for launch!! And no cops also!! LOL!!
Old 07-07-2016, 12:58 AM   #78
grahak2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy G View Post
Clutch in, blip, downshift, clutch off. but do it at 10X speed. More practice that's all. Remember the first week I got my car, I rev match every gear from 5 to 2 at every stop light.. People look at me and shake their heads.. But I don't care, Just too much fun!
Thanks, yah from what I read that's how everyone does it. I got no problem shifting fast and quick clutch action going up gears but just started with the downshifting rev matching stuff. I got a long wide open commute to practice. Just want to practice the right way and thanks for reinforcing the right way for me. Yah don't matter what people think if you are just trying to drive your car the way that's best for it, and the whole point of these cars is to have fun driving.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:01 AM   #79
grahak2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
Kevin, sounds like you just need some practicing. Shifting into the right gears, rev-matching, etc. Rev-Matching can be done very quickly
Yah, I agree and will keep practicing.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 07-07-2016, 01:09 AM   #80
grahak2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Angel View Post
You can only downshift 2 gears. I have pressed it three times before and it wouldn't let me go past 2 downshifted gears!!

Tap the gas pedal twice then put in down to the floor!! Just make sure you are ready for launch!! And no cops also!! LOL!!
Thanks for the response, but I have been going from 6th to 3rd and it doesn't have a problem as long as I am under the 3rd redline of around 115. Honestly if I am over 90 or so I just downshift to 4th because I don't want to hit the 3rd redline to quick.

Or maybe I don't understand. If you mean 2 actual downshifts like 5th to 3rd and then 3rd to 2nd and you cant downshift any further I don't know. I usually only downshift to get into a band where the rpms will be higher for some extra go or downshift because I am slowing down but not coming to a stop.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 07-07-2016, 01:13 AM   #81
grahak2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurbaral View Post
I'm not 100% sure on this, but I do not think it will allow you to shift into a gear in which your engine speed will be damaging.
Thanks for the response but we covered this a lot and it will and you can damage your engine so you got to make sure you know the redline for each gear and make sure when you are downshifting you are getting in the right gear.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 07-07-2016, 01:16 AM   #82
grahak2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
From 6th to 4th, its a rocket... from 6th to 3rd, warp speed.
I agree. Those are my downshifting gears of choice!
Especially since Chris Blair pointed out that 5th and 6th are the overdrive gear and from what I got out of it 5th is not a good gear to downshift into to get it to go fast.

Kevin
Old 07-07-2016, 08:56 AM   #83
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Thanks for the response, but I have been going from 6th to 3rd and it doesn't have a problem as long as I am under the 3rd redline of around 115. Honestly if I am over 90 or so I just downshift to 4th because I don't want to hit the 3rd redline to quick.

Or maybe I don't understand. If you mean 2 actual downshifts like 5th to 3rd and then 3rd to 2nd and you cant downshift any further I don't know. I usually only downshift to get into a band where the rpms will be higher for some extra go or downshift because I am slowing down but not coming to a stop.

Thanks,
Kevin
Sounds like you've got it down OK.

Perhaps the best way to avoid downshifting into an inappropriate gear (like 2nd, when you meant to grab 4th) is to just slow your hand speed down. And anticipate the gear you "need" to be in, as opposed to reacting suddenly and hastily.

Norm
Old 07-07-2016, 11:09 AM   #84
thegreatwhite

Drives: 2014 SS
Quote:

Thanks,
Kevin
you just want the rpm to be up around where its going to be once your in that lower gear an the clutch is out. the closer it is to the rpm your matching to the less of a jolt your car will feel. sometimes i keep the clutch in, put the shifter in the lower gear and then shoot the rpm up to where i think its gonna land and then clutch out. or shoot the rpm up while your shifting. just keep practicing an youl get good at it over time. ya you want to be as gentle to your transmission as you can be though obviously
thegreatwhite is offline   Reply With Quote