Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-09-2019, 09:23 PM   #1
XxshadowdawgxX

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
Post Power Steering Failure (Over and Over)

I️ have been dealing with a power steering failure on my 2012 Camaro ZL1 for months now. It is the full blown power steering failure, the message pops up saying “Service Power Steering” and I️ lose full control of the power steering itself. The dealership has replaced the entire power steering rack and gears. Yet, here we are. Then they told me they think it’s my battery, so I️ bought a new battery and surprise the power steering still went out. The dealership is at a loss of what it can be, and with the GM strike they aren’t able to get anymore parts to keep testing theories. So figured I️ would come to everyone here to see if I️ can finally get a little help so I️ can safely drive my car (it goes out at least once every time I️ step in the car). These are the three most recent codes I️ was able to find....

C056D
C0475
C0800

Thanks.
376CI Built Bottom End LSA (10.1:1) Ported LSA Heads, BTR STG 3 400+ CI Camshaft, F1X Procharger - Cogged, Holley Sniper High Rise Intake, 1 7/8” TSP Headers, 1700CC ID Injectors, Fore Innovations Triple 450lph, DSX Flexfuel Sensor. Making 1000+rwhp. Tuned by Tuning by Shane Hinds LLC.
XxshadowdawgxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:38 PM   #2
d454brisson

Drives: 2014 ZL1
The c0800 code seems to pop most when the grounds to the head and frame are loose, corroded or bad. I would double down on checking and replacing or adding grounds.

Also mine would trigger power steering error when the tire sizes where off and traction was on but I would get a stabilitrack code also.

Any linkage to the errors and the mods you have?
d454brisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:52 AM   #3
Bigtime53

Drives: 2013 ZL1
It seems like several years ago [like 5-6] there was a few threads here about this same problem. Do a search on this site but the best of my memory the problem was the ground wires. Again if I remember correctly you will have a ground wire from motor to frame,frame to body and motor to body. I may be wrong on grounds but I think that was the culprit causing your problem. Good luck.
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:40 AM   #4
G8One2

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
So I've run into this issue before, but not on a Camaro. It was actually a Ford fusion and the issue seems similar. What I found was that there was a ground wire, by the drivers fender that was part of the EPAS rack wiring. Someone had replaced the ground bolt with a machine screw. Now you may think, what's wrong with that. Problem was, all your grounds on the body of the car, actually get it's ground from the threads of the ground bolt. This is why you never see bare metal on anything painted, for corrosion reasons. The OEM uses thread cutting bolts during assembly, so the act of thread cutting and seating that bolt is what actually gives the ground. If you ever pay attention, thread cutting bolts, are actually a bit triangled shape. So when someone replaced this screw with a machine screw, it actually increase the ground resistance to over 10 ohms, because the threads don't engage or fit as tightly as the thread cutting bolt. Putting the correct bolt back in, allowed the threads to make good contact and provide .5 ohm resistance in that ground circuit. This fixed the issue with this particular car I was working on. Not saying that's what's wrong here, but the issues quite simply could be really this easy to fix.

Last edited by G8One2; 10-10-2019 at 08:55 AM.
G8One2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 01:24 PM   #5
HOJO

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS/RS 1LE 1967 Camaro
Try this...https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=517659

Sorry wrong link, reposted correct link in post#7
HOJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 01:25 PM   #6
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxshadowdawgxX View Post
I️ have been dealing with a power steering failure on my 2012 Camaro ZL1 for months now. It is the full blown power steering failure, the message pops up saying “Service Power Steering” and I️ lose full control of the power steering itself. The dealership has replaced the entire power steering rack and gears. Yet, here we are. Then they told me they think it’s my battery, so I️ bought a new battery and surprise the power steering still went out. The dealership is at a loss of what it can be, and with the GM strike they aren’t able to get anymore parts to keep testing theories. So figured I️ would come to everyone here to see if I️ can finally get a little help so I️ can safely drive my car (it goes out at least once every time I️ step in the car). These are the three most recent codes I️ was able to find....

C056D
C0475
C0800

Thanks.

Some have removed and cleaned the connections to the rack to insure good ground. If you have had headers added always check the main engine ground on the right side of the engine by removing (not easy) and cleaning.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 01:28 PM   #7
HOJO

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS/RS 1LE 1967 Camaro
Look here....https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=417367
HOJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 02:05 PM   #8
FASTFATBOY

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Mine was doing that, I was at Deals Gap and it started getting worse. I went in the trunk and pulled everything from around the battery and pulled on every wire back there.

I know it sounds weird, but it hasn't done it in 6 months. I read this also may be an ignition switch/key issue.
FASTFATBOY is offline   Reply With Quote