The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-17-2023, 03:53 PM   #8891
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
WTH gm??

Releasing the new Traverse as a Hybrid for other markets, but not America? I'd love to know why! Not enough interest?? Yeah I think not...Toyota sells a lot of hybrids here.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2023/11...aked-in-china/
Old 11-17-2023, 08:48 PM   #8892
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
WTH gm??

Releasing the new Traverse as a Hybrid for other markets, but not America? I'd love to know why! Not enough interest?? Yeah I think not...Toyota sells a lot of hybrids here.

Damn... and that's the best looking Traverse yet
Old 11-17-2023, 09:22 PM   #8893
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
WTH gm??

When I was still at GM in Product Portfolio Planning, there were a few of us trying to push the idea of 48V mild hybrids. It was a consideration, but ultimately it didn’t get greenlit in the US. GM China did green light 48V mild hybrids. R&D and manufacturing for powertrains in China are separate from R&D and manufacturing funding for powertrains in the US. I expect that this Traverse is likely a GM China engineered and produced 48V mild hybrid product. Likewise, even though Chevrolet Volt and the Voltec system have been dropped here in the US, Voltec lives on in China and is used in a handful of Chevrolet and Buick products. All funded by GM China.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 10:22 AM   #8894
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
I'd pick a mild hybrid over a turbo'd tiny.

Voltec makes the most sense for the Traverse and newBlazer. Most people pay a decent chunk of change for them. Voltec there would open a need for a cheaper 3 row below that though.
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 11:10 AM   #8895
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer View Post
I'd pick a mild hybrid over a turbo'd tiny.

Voltec makes the most sense for the Traverse and newBlazer. Most people pay a decent chunk of change for them. Voltec there would open a need for a cheaper 3 row below that though.
I hope I didn’t give the impression that Traverse would have Voltec. Nope. Not in this lifetime. In any country. As for mild hybrid? China yes, because they developed it there for use there. In US no because it would require significant engineering investment and would only make sense from a CAFE standpoint if all or nearly all vehicles had it as standard equipment.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Last edited by Martinjlm; 11-18-2023 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-18-2023, 11:16 AM   #8896

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I think you guys are missing a key factor in the big picture: Hybrids still use gasoline/fossil fuels. That doesn't fit in with the car-maker's plans and commitments for full EV line-ups across the board by 2030-2035 or whatever.

Your choices will be intentionally limited to full EV only, especially and likely exclusively in the U.S. as a policy to "fighting global warming." The rest of the world gets a free-pass.

Hybrids may be a good idea, but not if the end of using fossil fuels is the goal.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 09:13 PM   #8897
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
Martinjlm: I'm thinking the Ramcharger powertrain tips off the future direction of Grand Cherokee. GM for whatever reason gave up competing with it.

90503: Affordability is being destroyed, it sucks. Circumstances are window dressing
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 09:50 PM   #8898
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
I think you guys are missing a key factor in the big picture: Hybrids still use gasoline/fossil fuels. That doesn't fit in with the car-maker's plans and commitments for full EV line-ups across the board by 2030-2035 or whatever.

Your choices will be intentionally limited to full EV only, especially and likely exclusively in the U.S. as a policy to "fighting global warming." The rest of the world gets a free-pass.

Hybrids may be a good idea, but not if the end of using fossil fuels is the goal.
Thing is, China and Europe are moving in this direction significantly faster than the US. South America and Africa are the only regions moving slower than the U.S., but they don’t have automotive markets to speak of.

Old 11-18-2023, 09:53 PM   #8899
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer View Post
Martinjlm: I'm thinking the Ramcharger powertrain tips off the future direction of Grand Cherokee. GM for whatever reason gave up competing with it.

90503: Affordability is being destroyed, it sucks. Circumstances are window dressing
You could be right about Grand Cherokee, or maybe more likely Grand Wagoneer. It’s a very expensive and very heavy technology set. Not sure Grand Cherokee can absorb the mass or the cost.

Old 11-29-2023, 09:38 AM   #8900
KMPrenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
... In US no because it would require significant engineering investment and would only make sense from a CAFE standpoint if all or nearly all vehicles had it as standard equipment.
Hindsight is 20/20, but I do believe that nearly all GM vehicles should've had it. I know GM decided EV or nothing, so it is what it is, but in my tiny humble opinion a bunch of cars running around using Voltec like technology is where we should be in the car world right now. Toyota gets it, even as they move on with full EV development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post

I get there's sarcasm in this post. I also think the car-makers plans are doo doo.
Old 11-29-2023, 10:58 AM   #8901
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Hindsight is 20/20, but I do believe that nearly all GM vehicles should've had it. I know GM decided EV or nothing, so it is what it is, but in my tiny humble opinion a bunch of cars running around using Voltec like technology is where we should be in the car world right now. Toyota gets it, even as they move on with full EV development.

For every GM vehicle to have Voltec would be prohibitively expensive. Even more expensive than going 100% EV. It requires a fully functional EV propulsion system, an almost fully functional ICE propulsion system, and sophisticated electronic controls systems to manage split second handoffs between the two systems. With Volt it made sense because battery size could be reduced (18 kWh vs 40 - 60 kWh) at a time when battery prices were in the $3-500/kWh range. Reducing the battery size offset the cost of the ICE and the controls systems. Now that battery prices are in the $100/kWh range and dropping, more battery makes sense, especially if you get to eliminate the engine, transmission, exhaust system, fuel system, and greatly simplify the control system.

Old 11-29-2023, 11:52 AM   #8902
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

So minutes after my previous posts, this report that GM might be considering adding hybrids back into the portfolio surfaced. I’ll have to keep an eye on this. When the “all EV” strategy was first announced, I interpreted it to mean EV = electrified (which would include hybrids). Clearly I was wrong. I know that there are hybrids still in China and that there will be hybrids sold in South America, but my understanding was that the hybrids in South America would be sourced fro China. Maybe this is a shift in strategy.

https://youtu.be/7RZ4Wu57xFY?si=lHM8IC22iTgiCA6v

Old 11-29-2023, 12:27 PM   #8903
KMPrenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
So minutes after my previous posts, this report that GM might be considering adding hybrids back into the portfolio surfaced. I’ll have to keep an eye on this. When the “all EV” strategy was first announced, I interpreted it to mean EV = electrified (which would include hybrids). Clearly I was wrong. I know that there are hybrids still in China and that there will be hybrids sold in South America, but my understanding was that the hybrids in South America would be sourced fro China. Maybe this is a shift in strategy.

https://youtu.be/7RZ4Wu57xFY?si=lHM8IC22iTgiCA6v
Well looky there!

Thanks for sharing Jim. I don't know a whole lot about these hybrid drivetrains that GM is developing for South America. Are these just mild hybrid systems, or are they more robust, such as the Toyota systems which can run 40 or so miles on battery only before requiring the ICE drivetrain?
Old 11-30-2023, 06:18 PM   #8904
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Well looky there!

Thanks for sharing Jim. I don't know a whole lot about these hybrid drivetrains that GM is developing for South America. Are these just mild hybrid systems, or are they more robust, such as the Toyota systems which can run 40 or so miles on battery only before requiring the ICE drivetrain?
TBH, I would characterize this as “So you’re tellin’ me there’s a chance”. I wouldn’t put money on it.

Tags
fenwickhockey65, gm questions, questions