The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 01-22-2013, 11:42 AM   #1
Tran
Administrator

Drives: 2010 Camaro of course....
USA Today: 2014 Corvette not for average Joe

Not that I take much stock in what USA Today ever has to say

And I certainly hope to see much more diverse ownership demographic than the one discussed in the article.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/driveo...scale/1852227/

Quote:
No question about it, the new Chevrolet Corvette Stingray was the hit of the North American International Auto Show. But aside from the emotional reaction, we're only starting to realize why.

Chevy is taking it upscale.

"It was our intent to make the car more premium," says Kirk Bennion, experior design manager for General Motors. We're weren't achieving what we (needed) on the luxury-sport side of Corvette."

Translation: The present-day Corvette is viewed too much as the sports car of the average guy. Nothing wrong with that, unless you want your iconic car to be considered a worthy competitor to the Porsche 911s of the world. The target customer for Corvette is a man in his 40s with a household income in excess of $150,000. Collectors, those with three to five 'Vettes of various vintages, are key buyers for them as well.

The need to go more upscale, which almost certainly means commanding a higher price, is underscored by the detailed work that GM designers and engineers pouring into the new 2014 Corvette. The process of the creation of the new Corvette, a top priority within GM with a lot of hands involved, was explained last week in Detroit at the Autoweek Design Forum, a symposium on car design presented by the automotive weekly magazine.

For instance, the Corvette has always looked great on the outside. Now it looks even more so, with lots of little touches -- some of them controversial, like moving away from round taillights -- to improve it. But the big story on the new Corvette is its lush new interior.

A design competition within GM for the new 'Vette drew 300 sketches. No wonder. A lot is at stake.

"It's really important for Corvette to be the global icon of Chevrolet," Bennion says.
Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #2
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
Tough to say right now since it's still early however many fit that demographic, I do, but I doubt the diehard Porsche/M/AMG/GTR cult will quickly jump on board the C7 bandwagon... don't even mention the Ferrari/Lambo/Aston groups etc... in any case time will tell...
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #3
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tran View Post
Not that I take much stock in what USA Today ever has to say

And I certainly hope to see much more diverse ownership demographic than the one discussed in the article.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/driveo...scale/1852227/

Quote:
No question about it, the new Chevrolet Corvette Stingray was the hit of the North American International Auto Show. But aside from the emotional reaction, we're only starting to realize why.

Chevy is taking it upscale.

"It was our intent to make the car more premium," says Kirk Bennion, experior design manager for General Motors. We're weren't achieving what we (needed) on the luxury-sport side of Corvette."

Translation: The present-day Corvette is viewed too much as the sports car of the average guy. Nothing wrong with that, unless you want your iconic car to be considered a worthy competitor to the Porsche 911s of the world. The target customer for Corvette is a man in his 40s with a household income in excess of $150,000. Collectors, those with three to five 'Vettes of various vintages, are key buyers for them as well.

The need to go more upscale, which almost certainly means commanding a higher price, is underscored by the detailed work that GM designers and engineers pouring into the new 2014 Corvette. The process of the creation of the new Corvette, a top priority within GM with a lot of hands involved, was explained last week in Detroit at the Autoweek Design Forum, a symposium on car design presented by the automotive weekly magazine.

For instance, the Corvette has always looked great on the outside. Now it looks even more so, with lots of little touches -- some of them controversial, like moving away from round taillights -- to improve it. But the big story on the new Corvette is its lush new interior.

A design competition within GM for the new 'Vette drew 300 sketches. No wonder. A lot is at stake.

"It's really important for Corvette to be the global icon of Chevrolet," Bennion says.
I have a hard time agreeing with any writer's opinion when they're not even that great at writing.

What is an "experior" ?

And he should considered revising "pouring" to "poured"

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #4
guiLT
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 2001 Maxima
Wow that article really was poorly written. He took way to long to say what he wanted to say.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:04 AM   #5
vnamvet

Drives: LMB 2007 Corvette Z06
The 2014 C7 has a boy racer look aimed at buyers in the 35 to 45
age group. Its very refreshing and stimulating at the same time.

If priced right, GM will sell plenty.
vnamvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:01 PM   #6
IcePick06

Drives: '12 AGM ZL1 (SOLD); '07 Ducati 1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
Tough to say right now since it's still early however many fit that demographic, I do, but I doubt the diehard Porsche/M/AMG/GTR cult will quickly jump on board the C7 bandwagon... don't even mention the Ferrari/Lambo/Aston groups etc... in any case time will tell...
I also think GM is going after the younger crowd (with a similar household income) with all the "HIGH TECH" goodies in the C7 and the sleek design. My assumption was confirmed after watching the C7 video on Leno's Garage where Ed Welburn made this exact statement after Leno asked him about the new design change and the more "European Look" of the C7.

2012 ZL1 Coupe (M6) #80 (SOLD)

2007 Ducati 1098 (SOLD)
2006 Yamaha R6 (Track/Race Only )
IcePick06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:06 PM   #7
GaBoy25

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6/2500HD Lmm LTZ
We will see...time will tell.
GaBoy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #8
Gohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnamvet View Post
The 2014 C7 has a boy racer look aimed at buyers in the 35 to 45
age group. Its very refreshing and stimulating at the same time.

If priced right, GM will sell plenty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcePick06 View Post
I also think GM is going after the younger crowd (with a similar household income) with all the "HIGH TECH" goodies in the C7 and the sleek design. My assumption was confirmed after watching the C7 video on Leno's Garage where Ed Welburn made this exact statement after Leno asked him about the new design change and the more "European Look" of the C7.
Totally agree with this. I wasn't on forums much during the C6 launch, but this time around there seems to be plenty of interest from luxury European sports car car enthusiasts and younger folks online.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:46 PM   #9
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
This article is written by someone unworthy of their pen.

The Corvette is not out of reach, but it definitely should be competitive with cars that are perceived to be unattainable by most people. This is a great move for GM to be taken seriously all over the world.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote