The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detail, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-04-2014, 07:07 PM   #1
whosurdaddy107

Drives: My new Stingray Z51
Clear Bra?

Thinking about putting clear bra on my z51 front bumper. Any advice, opinions and what to expect. Is it worth it? Will it cause a two tone color in the long run?
whosurdaddy107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:47 AM   #2
REVVIC

Drives: 2014 Z51 Velocity Yellow
I did Xpel's Ultimate. The product is tremendous. No two tone since the ultraviolet rays go thru the coating. Check Xpel's site. The issue is the skill of the technician. Most use a kit, a few just make it happen without like the fellow who did mine.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:15 AM   #3
RetiredTHPLT

Drives: 2014 Corvette Stingray, 2013 Lexus
I had the front end, area behind wheels and rocker panels done with SunTek 6 weeks ago. When I washed the car last week, I discovered 3 places that were peeling. Two at the bottom of the bumper on each side and the other at the right front marker light. I took it back to the installer Thurs and he trimmed the places. I now have small exposed areas where film should be. I don't know if it is faulty film or faulty application. You have to look to see that film is not there, but is not what I paid for! He did a friend's Stingray and no problems.
RetiredTHPLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:43 PM   #4
whosurdaddy107

Quote:
Originally Posted by REVVIC View Post
I did Xpel's Ultimate. The product is tremendous. No two tone since the ultraviolet rays go thru the coating. Check Xpel's site. The issue is the skill of the technician. Most use a kit, a few just make it happen without like the fellow who did mine.
thanks i will check it out. did you do the entire car or just the front?
Old 03-09-2014, 02:43 PM   #5
whosurdaddy107

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredTHPLT View Post
I had the front end, area behind wheels and rocker panels done with SunTek 6 weeks ago. When I washed the car last week, I discovered 3 places that were peeling. Two at the bottom of the bumper on each side and the other at the right front marker light. I took it back to the installer Thurs and he trimmed the places. I now have small exposed areas where film should be. I don't know if it is faulty film or faulty application. You have to look to see that film is not there, but is not what I paid for! He did a friend's Stingray and no problems.
that is what i'm afraid of...
Old 03-09-2014, 03:44 PM   #6
Silversled

Drives: 2016 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredTHPLT View Post
I have seen the Suntek film and have seen it on many cars in my area. It is really good quality film. It is most likely the installer.
Silversled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:57 AM   #7
RetiredTHPLT

Drives: 2014 Corvette Stingray, 2013 Lexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversled View Post
I have seen the Suntek film and have seen it on many cars in my area. It is really good quality film. It is most likely the installer.
That's what I'm thinking. I have seen some high dollar Porsche's, and BMW's there, so I thought it would be ok. I have sent an e-mail to SunTek and waiting on their reply.
RetiredTHPLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:10 AM   #8
asptroopa1
asptroopa1

Drives: 2014 Corvette
That's what they did on my Police Charger.....when some moisture and then dirt got behind the film, he just sliced it off. Now I have exposed area and the car will get all the rock chips from the shoulder when stopping cars......I want to do Xpel, just want to make sure the installation is perfect-
asptroopa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:07 AM   #9
Emmdmd

Drives: 2015 Z06
Did your installers clay the car prior to placing the XPel? I have about 200 miles on the car and am dropping it off tomorrow to have it done. I was told by my installer that he has never had someone ask to have the car clayed prior, but in my mind, it would only make sense to clay it first.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:02 AM   #10
asptroopa1
asptroopa1

Drives: 2014 Corvette
Revvic.....can you post a picture where the clear stops on the hood, I saw a vette here that was real noticeable and he said he got xpel- seems thick to me.....also did they take out your emblems and headlights and have the xpel wrap under the hood so you don't see those edges? Thanks
asptroopa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:29 AM   #11
REVVIC

Drives: 2014 Z51 Velocity Yellow
Fellows, I can't get photo bucket to repost a photo of the Expel line on my car. "Ultimate"top of the line with 10 year warranty was applied. It is thick! Expel was applied to the headlight lenses and the front emblem was removed and reaffixed over the film. Film was wrapped under the hood opening and under the wheel wells. Very few lines. Lines are visible only when viewed at 90 degrees (perpendicular) and not visible either way as you move left or right a few degrees.

My front fangs/splitters were covered on top as well as front. The tech didn't clay but he used a cleaning solution. I had a peeling and bubble issues on a section. He replaced them.

Again, the products are good. The variable is the skill level of the tech. In the end, it's a balance between great paint chip protection plus a least flawed application. I'm willing to overlook a ruff edge if it prevents pitted paint. And, I'm not into the black vinyl bras.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:03 PM   #12
Salameth

Drives: Corvette Stingray Premier Edition
I had Expel applied to the entire front end of my car and am extremely happy with it. Right after it was installed my wife and I went on a 4000 mile trip to New Mexico. My car is also a daily driver. There are a few areas you can see have been hit by pebbles and such but the paint is fine. The installer told me that after 5 years or so he will replace it at cost. This was a very good investment as far as I am concerned.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:16 PM   #13
cbsoccer12

Drives: 14' C7 Corvette Stingray
anybody know of a good place in Southern California (LA County) who does good clear bra installs.
cbsoccer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:45 PM   #14
Auto Motive

Drives: 1995 Corvette Coupe Artic White
3m 8mm Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosurdaddy107 View Post
that is what i'm afraid of...
My daughter had a 3m 8mm film bra to her Challenger 392 including qtrs. and bumpers. A pro in our area applied it and also dark tinted the windows for a grand. Its been a season now and traveling the PA turnpike over 300 miles and not a chip. No peels or pull ups. Maintenance is waxing with any synthetic wax. When I buy my Z next year this is the first thing hitting my front end, qtrs. and bumper.
Auto Motive is offline   Reply With Quote