Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-22-2016, 03:04 PM   #71
redhotcandy

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Okay, just heard from the service tech at the dealership...he said there were 2 codes (don't have the codes, but here's what the were about)

1st code: Accelerator pedal sensor
2nd code: random misfire

He said the the throttle body has severe carbon build up and that they cleaned the injector and the throttle body.

He said the accelerator pedal sensor wouldnt be in until Monday.

I called to auto parts stores and they don't carry the pedal sensor and said it's dealer only.

I also had an oil change done with Dexos1. IF I get the pedal sensor put in by them along with the cleaning of the injector and the TB, my bill comes to $485.16.

Does this sound right? Just looking for some guidance since I don't know crap about this issue.

Thanks!
redhotcandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 03:10 PM   #72
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotcandy View Post
Okay, just heard from the service tech at the dealership...he said there were 2 codes (don't have the codes, but here's what the were about)

1st code: Accelerator pedal sensor
2nd code: random misfire

He said the the throttle body has severe carbon build up and that they cleaned the injector and the throttle body.

He said the accelerator pedal sensor wouldnt be in until Monday.

I called to auto parts stores and they don't carry the pedal sensor and said it's dealer only.

I also had an oil change done with Dexos1. IF I get the pedal sensor put in by them along with the cleaning of the injector and the TB, my bill comes to $485.16.

Does this sound right? Just looking for some guidance since I don't know crap about this issue.

Thanks!
How many miles are on your car?
Old 01-22-2016, 03:12 PM   #73
redhotcandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
How many miles are on your car?
Approximately 60,300

Just called him back to ask a few more questions...he said the carbon build up is normal in the TB and injector and really should be cleaned out about every 30K miles. The cost for cleaning those is $168.00

The accelerator pedal sensor is a $60 part and then the labor to install and reprogram and could malfunctioned because of the weather and road conditions the other day.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:15 PM   #74
Mortious
Ammo

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (LS3 M6)
That pedal is no more than 80'ish dollars, installing it through them will be much more, even though its like 10 min, can't comment on the injectors, and the TB can be cleaned pretty easily too.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:16 PM   #75
Mortious
Ammo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
I see, so if you have a second car with no CEL, you know it should be good. Consider that your parts car. Full circle X 2
Old 01-22-2016, 03:17 PM   #76
redhotcandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortious View Post
That pedal is no more than 80'ish dollars, installing it through them will be much more, even though its like 10 min.

I'm sure labor is what's jacking up the price, but I really don't have anywhere to do the work right now. They have given me a 2016 loaded Silverado to use until Monday.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:19 PM   #77
Mortious
Ammo

Quote:
I'm sure labor is what's jacking up the price, but I really don't have anywhere to do the work right now. They have given me a 2016 loaded Silverado to use until Monday.
I get that, they are probably charging .5 hours at like 120 an hour to put it in, its 3 bolts, and one plug you just remove the pedal assembly and put the other in.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:22 PM   #78
redhotcandy

Quote:
I get that, they are probably charging .5 hours at like 120 an hour to put it in, its 3 bolts, and one plug you just remove the pedal assembly and put the other in.
Man...well, idk. We just moved and I don't have the tools nearby (in storage) to try to deal with it myself, so I guess I'm stuck there.

Basically, wondered if what he told me sounds feasible...
Old 01-22-2016, 03:25 PM   #79
Mortious
Ammo

Quote:
Man...well, idk. We just moved and I don't have the tools nearby (in storage) to try to deal with it myself, so I guess I'm stuck there.

Basically, wondered if what he told me sounds feasible...
Well lets see, probably close to 130'ish for oil, go 120'ish for the pedal, labor for the TB and I havn't a clue about the injectors, ya, I could see it being about 450'ish.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:26 PM   #80
redhotcandy

Quote:
Well lets see, probably close to 130'ish for oil, go 120'ish for the pedal, labor for the TB and I havn't a clue about the injectors, ya, I could see it being about 450'ish.
Crazy how much dealerships charge. Well, at least I got the oil change on their special for 39.99.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:27 PM   #81
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Listen, you are in a tight spot. They have given you a vehicle to use, so you are mobile for the weekend. If you have the money and spending the $500 is not going to hurt you, have them fix your car. If it puts you in a spot, get the part, pay the labor for the cleaning and the oil change, and do it yourself. Sometimes to make life run smoother, you just have to bite the bullet!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 03:29 PM   #82
redhotcandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
Listen, you are in a tight spot. They have given you a vehicle to use, so you are mobile for the weekend. If you have the money and spending the $500 is not going to hurt you, have them fix your car. If it puts you in a spot, get the part, pay the labor for the cleaning and the oil change, and do it yourself. Sometimes to make life run smoother, you just have to bite the bullet!
Yep, I agree. I was actually expecting the worst, so it's not as bad as I had made it out in my mind to be.

Having a loaner (a nice one at that) is great and having the space and tools to do it at home can't happen right now...so all in all, I'm okay with it.

I just wanted to make sure that it all sounded right.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:49 PM   #83
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Quote:
Approximately 60,300

Just called him back to ask a few more questions...he said the carbon build up is normal in the TB and injector and really should be cleaned out about every 30K miles. The cost for cleaning those is $168.00

The accelerator pedal sensor is a $60 part and then the labor to install and reprogram and could malfunctioned because of the weather and road conditions the other day.
I just don't get this injector cleaning stuff. Seems like if it was important, it would be listed in the service section of the owners manual. The gasoline today has a lot of detergents in it, to keep things cleaned. I see what my catch can stops from being sucked through the TB. So without one, you can get extra buildup. With your current circumstances, I guess I would let them fix your car.

Here is something I would recommend. If you have a check engine light, try and find out what the code is before going to the shop. They did give you a loaner, so that was nice of them. Good luck, hope everything gets worked out for you. Go to GMpartsdirect.com and you can get an idea on parts and costs.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:59 PM   #84
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Yep, I agree. I was actually expecting the worst, so it's not as bad as I had made it out in my mind to be.

Having a loaner (a nice one at that) is great and having the space and tools to do it at home can't happen right now...so all in all, I'm okay with it.

I just wanted to make sure that it all sounded right.
I do agree with questioning the injector cleaning deal. I do not agree with the every 30K miles. I have never had this done, and have never had an issue, even with cars with over 200K on them.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote