Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 08-19-2016, 05:36 PM   #29
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSloper View Post
Some comments...

- Your results are as expected

- The only critique I have is that you didn't reveal timing and AFR data (bung placement not tailpipe). I believe you were just shooting for a bolt on and dyno methodology but the AFR would have really highlighted the effects on the MAF accuracy vs stock. Only the stock intake MAF numbers can be considered accurate. To say CAI has higher MAF numbers doesn't mean it's flowing more. The only way to conclude that would be to have the timing and AFR match at a given RPM to the stock data - AND - the dyno curves show a gain at that RPM.

- MAP data would have helped clear the picture as well. If the MAP didn't move any significant amount between runs across the RPM band the intakes aren't doing squat for improved mass air flow.

- Rotofab might have something to offer. I'd have faith in them if they wills be willing to show AFR and timing on same day runs under similar weather conditions.

- A differential pressure meter would put to rest where the restrictions are and if there are areas for improvement (i.e. Larger filter or larger inlet or whatever). If there isn't a significant pressure drop across an element or from one end of the intake to the other then there just isn't much to be gained by engineering a new piece of plastic.
Tsloper,

We are very happy with our data logs of this system. We set a target AFR @ WOT and hit that number right on the money. I'm excited for you to critique this system if you get one. I think you will be very impressed with the numbers and blown away by the quality.

Thanks for your interest.
Michael

Last edited by Roto-fab 1; 08-19-2016 at 06:40 PM.
Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:50 PM   #30
cleoent

Drives: 16' Camaro E-Force SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_1ss View Post
Cliff notes pls. Can barely make out some of the numbers on the video.
CAI nets 2 LB TQ, no HP. Mishimoto loses HP/TQ. Car sounds good with intake.

Save your money.
cleoent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:03 PM   #31
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleoent View Post

Save your money.
Stay tuned for Sledgehammer's test of the Roto-fab CAI! I'm sure he will validate our claims, as we do nothing to inflate our peak gains. All of our dyno test are done with the hood closed, in comparable weather conditions. We also use the best stock run vs. best Roto-fab run. It is important that a manufacturer or tuner doesn't advertise the worst baseline vs. their best dyno. This can result in a very misleading claim, and disappointed customer.

Please let me know if you have any specific questions about our system, or just CAIs in general!

Michael
Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:23 PM   #32
cleoent

Drives: 16' Camaro E-Force SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto-fab 1 View Post
Stay tuned for Sledgehammer's test of the Roto-fab CAI! I'm sure he will validate our claims, as we do nothing to inflate our peak gains. All of our dyno test are done with the hood closed, in comparable weather conditions. We also use the best stock run vs. best Roto-fab run. It is important that a manufacturer or tuner doesn't advertise the worst baseline vs. their best dyno. This can result in a very misleading claim, and disappointed customer.

Please let me know if you have any specific questions about our system, or just CAIs in general!

Michael
Not for sale in California. Killing me.
cleoent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:34 PM   #33
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
Quote:
Stay tuned for Sledgehammer's test of the Roto-fab CAI! I'm sure he will validate our claims, as we do nothing to inflate our peak gains.
I hope you're right. My 5th gen saw great gains... this car seem well plumed with its stock tune.

Quote:
Not for sale in California. Killing me.
Just find a vendor who purchases the products from Rot-Fab over being a middle man only who drop ships. Roto-Fab can't take the blame from the Government as they are not carb legal / certified.

I tried to order one through them direct and they told me no as well. Its BS... I hate California. Can't wait to move to Texas on day.
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:52 PM   #34
Ian SS

Drives: 2016 1SS, 2017 JKU Wrangler
Quote:

Save your money.
Boo. Back to stock box for me.

2018 Ram Rebel 4x4 5.7
Ian SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:16 PM   #35
JFM-jr

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
We are confident that future testing will prove Roto-fab is the top performer. Since our last dyno, which gained an honest 12 HP, hood closed, we have increased our air box and air filter size. We also made some key changes to the MAF housing. Our goal for peak gain is 15-18 HP, and we are very excited for Camaro6 members to review and test our system!
Judging from the other systems results if we see 12hp from your intake you guys will never keep your product on the shelves.
ARH 1 7/8 longtubes hi flow cats AFM deleted E85
11.0@124.9
11.65@118.8 pump gas,stock tune/exhaust
New combo: Pray Performance Heads/cam
MSD intake manifold and Circle D 3C
554/491 on E85 all work & tuning done by Pray
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:29 PM   #36
TRich2SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM-jr View Post
Judging from the other systems results if we see 12hp from your intake you guys will never keep your product on the shelves.
Amen
TRich2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:54 PM   #37
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
I hope the Roto Fab doesn't disappoint
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:28 PM   #38
Gmanuel

Drives: 2007 335i
Indeed. Rotofab has a great reputation with the corvette, so I'm hoping sledge's results validate their testing.

Last edited by Gmanuel; 08-20-2016 at 07:08 AM.
Gmanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:36 PM   #39
Bosun68
One El E

Drives: 2022 2SS 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer70 View Post
I hate California. Can't wait to move to Texas on day.
C'mon over to Texas, Matt! I was stationed in San Diego (Lakeside actually) and spent some post-patrol time there in Temecula...y'all have some very nice wineries and we enjoyed our time in SoCal. The weather was great, too, but the cost of living was the highest I've seen in my 26 years of service.

Oh, and once again, thanks for your unbiased video. I really enjoy seeing what you're up to with your car and look forward to the Roto Fab test.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:28 PM   #40
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Sledge thanks for this. Your video was very dramatic and entertaining! We are still early days on the CA6 SS and like with the Coyote we are dealing with some great engineering from the factory. What might hold things back is the somewhat slow sales of the CA6.

Also it seems like exhaust changes are worth more HP than intake changes so far unlike the 5th gens. But still no big gains. So gaining 40 HP like we could with the 5th gen with comparitively cheap boltons might not be possible or as cheap with the CA6 SS as it was with the 5th gen.

But what new Camaro owners might not realize is the new SS out of the box is as fast as an LS3 5th gen with a CAI, Scoop, LTS, Cat delete, and DRs. Holy crap are we getting spoiled? Since I have recently owned 3 5th gens and a 6th gen SS and drag raced them all I can make the following real world comparison over time at the same drag strip in different conditions for all cars (spring, summer, fall) same driver all within a <1/10th sec ET:

Stock M6 CA6 SS = M6 LS3 5th gen with CAI, Scoop, LTs, DRs = Stock M6 5th gen ZL1

With the new SS we already own an amazing car. Now we want more. Count me in too. But now I am thinking the only way to dramatically improve the LT1 performance is some form of FI. But just in case
Old 08-19-2016, 11:57 PM   #41
ride98red

Drives: 2017 Summit White Chevy Camaro 2SS
Sledge, thanks so much for putting all the work into this video. You are a true asset to this forum!
I am so glad I didn't waste my money on a CAI. Looking forward to future tests of other CAI's.
ride98red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 12:12 AM   #42
vince3

Drives: Hyper Blue 16' M6 1ss
I'm getting headers and a msd intake installed next week. Do you think I CAI might get results because of the msd intake? ( I actually have both CAI and Mishimoto intakes that bought from members on this site)
vince3 is offline   Reply With Quote