Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-18-2016, 04:51 PM   #43
Brutus2

Drives: White 2016 Camaro SS 1ss A/8 MR NPP
Since this is all OEM parts...will it cancel out the warranty?
Brutus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 04:58 PM   #44
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus2 View Post
Don't even ask that question, as the guru mafia will come in and cite vortices insert mystic dust. Chevy is fully on board with this, only their exact same CAI CAI won't affect warranty. Look cat back and CAI are the two mods many people do and Chevy wants in on it. So they will DO ANYTHING to ensure that your CAI will effect your warranty. I'm sure hundreds of thousands of $$$ is being spent right now at GM on "proven" white papers (talking points) on just why a CAI or cat back will ruin your warranty, but GM's own CAI or exhaust system is of course just fine.

Bottom like just take it off if you have any issues, ain't worth the grief.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.

Last edited by oldman; 04-18-2016 at 08:27 PM.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:52 PM   #45
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus2 View Post
No
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:30 PM   #46
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
No
They are now after you.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:23 PM   #47
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
My truck (14 Silverado) blew a motor at 28k miles a couple months ago.

Truck has CAI, full catless exhaust and a tune.

Completely new motor no questions asked. And free towing. And it should be...I paid almost 50k for the damn thing. And no way in hell headers and a tune caused a rod bearing to fail.

Warranty coverage depends on the dealership.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:09 PM   #48
Netslave
GM paint evaluation dept

Drives: Too many to list
Just tell your dealership any failures happened at the track.

- A GM factory custom orange and mosaic black striped 2016 SS 2SS
- U̶n̶o̶f̶f̶i̶c̶i̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ Officially the worst Mosaic Black paint on a 2016 Camaro SS 2SS

See him here -

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...3M&usp=sharing
Netslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:27 PM   #49
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
Don't even ask that question, as the guru mafia will come in and cite vortices insert mystic dust. Chevy is fully on board with this, only their exact same CAI CAI won't affect warranty. Look cat back and CAI are the two mods many people do and Chevy wants in on it. So they will DO ANYTHING to ensure that your CAI will effect your warranty. I'm sure hundreds of thousands of $$$ is being spent right now at GM on "proven" white papers (talking points) on just why a CAI or cat back will ruin your warranty, but GM's own CAI or exhaust system is of course just fine.

Bottom like just take it off if you have any issues, ain't worth the grief.
GM intake comes with a new tune fyi
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:36 AM   #50
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescreensavers View Post
GM intake comes with a new tune fyi
Yep and the 100s of $$$ of white papers (talking points), and hype cause they want a piece of the pie.

Yep, gee boss, I got an idea, we claim our CAI needs a tune even though the actual maker of the CAI says you don't. Then we spread the word that a CAI can cause your engine to explode. Let the internet and tools take over. Bing, instant captured market.

GM already says a CAI will void warranty, take it as you like.

Last edited by oldman; 04-19-2016 at 12:49 AM.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:52 AM   #51
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
Quote:
Yep and the 100s of $$$ of white papers (talking points), and hype cause they want a piece of the pie.

Yep, gee boss, I got an idea, we claim our CAI needs a tune even though the actual maker of the CAI says you don't. Then we spread the word that a CAI can cause your engine to explode. Let the internet and tools take over. Bing, instant captured market.

GM already says a CAI will void warranty, take it as you like.
I mean in a FI engine changing the intake without a tune in some cars will cause lean conditions and then you pop a piston. NA engine usually fair better to breathing changes though in theory It could cause the same issues.

I'm not sure how GM will discover if you had used a CAI but warranty is the main reason for me at least that I'm buying a new car don't want to void that when it's been said to cover even track related issues so I personally would pay for the GM intake +tune to ensure I'm still warrantied but only if it's worth the cost of the item.

Would be cool to do some 1/4 passes change the intake make sure engine has cooled down then do 3 more passes and see if your trap speed changes at all.

Dyno fans are useless comparison to a car in motion.
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 11:06 AM   #52
oldman

Quote:
I mean in a FI engine changing the intake without a tune in some cars will cause lean conditions and then you pop a piston. NA engine usually fair better to breathing changes though in theory It could cause the same issues.

I'm not sure how GM will discover if you had used a CAI but warranty is the main reason for me at least that I'm buying a new car don't want to void that when it's been said to cover even track related issues so I personally would pay for the GM intake +tune to ensure I'm still warrantied but only if it's worth the cost of the item.

Would be cool to do some 1/4 passes change the intake make sure engine has cooled down then do 3 more passes and see if your trap speed changes at all.

Dyno fans are useless comparison to a car in motion.
Sounds like gospel truth, I would take my CAI CAI off, others might not and wana fight the good fight, to be or not to be that is the question.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:09 AM   #53
jamminj007

Drives: 2016 Camaro Black 2SS, 69 Camaro
[QUOTE=thescreensavers;9041695]I mean in a FI engine changing the intake without a tune in some cars will cause lean conditions and then you pop a piston. NA engine usually fair better to breathing changes though in theory It could cause the same issues.

Why not just put the original intake on before taking it back to the dealer?
Old 04-19-2016, 11:21 AM   #54
oldman

[QUOTE=jamminj007;9041742]
Quote:

Why not just put the original intake on before taking it back to the dealer?
That's what I've been saying, I think people just like trouble. I figure it this way, the chances of me having warranty issues with the power train on my 5000 mile / year car over 5 years is less than 1%. If I had a CAI and / or Cat back, I'd just remove it.

I far past that now and will do heads and cam either this summer of next.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:18 PM   #55
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Quote:
They are now after you.
Don't start with this tin foil hat BS. I grenaded the entire rear on my cammed/bolt-ons/tune 2012 SS at the track and they replaced it all, no questions asked. If your dealer isn't mod friendly, find another one. It's not that difficult.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:44 PM   #56
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
Don't start with this tin foil hat BS. I grenaded the entire rear on my cammed/bolt-ons/tune 2012 SS at the track and they replaced it all, no questions asked. If your dealer isn't mod friendly, find another one. It's not that difficult.
Dude, you need to learn sarcasm, it is BS period, but GM not me, GM the people that provide the warranty for the car is saying that a CAI will OBVIOUSLY void your warranty.

Here:
Quote:
As Oppenheiser says," don't expect to make sweeping modifications to your car and have GM still foot the bill for any issues that befall your car on the track.

"We know when somebody changes their ECM calibration and we know if they changed to a cold-air intake, we can tell all that," Oppenheiser said

There are useful tools / shills out already making the same claim. I'm putting back on my tin foil hat cause now they are out to get me too.

Your mods as listed clearly void the warranty and it would be IMO that you have colluded with a "mod friendly" dealer to defraud GM, but thanks for sharing.

Last edited by oldman; 04-19-2016 at 08:30 PM.