The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-19-2015, 06:09 AM   #1
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
Jalopnik: Worst Track Day Driver Ever

Well, it finally went viral.... this is a recent popular topic on Corvette Forum filled with humor and disgust alike. This is basically what NOT to do on your local HPDE course or anywhere for that matter really.

----------
Worst Trackday Video Ever - Z06 Corvette Driver Risks Life To Beat a Porsche

http://jalopnik.com/worst-trackday-v...e-t-1712375361

One owner of a new Corvette Z06 (with the Z07 performance package) was apparently displeased with some internet futzing about the Porsche 911 GT3 being faster than his pride and joy.

Out at some track day he came across one such GT3 and decided his life (and that of his silent instructor) to hunt the car down. Here’s the ‘Vette-driving moron’s caption to his video.

The Corvette driver has two half days of experience of track time and the driver of the Porsche GT3 is a pro race car driver with a race team. You can see from the slipping that the Porsche GT3 is being taken to its limits. The Porsche GT3 driver ultimately waves us by after being repeatedly out handled and out horse powered by the 2015 Corvette Z06 Auto with the Z07 package.

Commenters on this YouTube video and on CorvetteForum deny all of these guy’s claims, saying that the Porsche is very much not driven by a race car driver, and that this Vette driver is on Hoosiers, hence the added speed. I can’t verify either of those assertions, but I can tell you that both the Porsche and the Corvette are being driven like morons.

"Worst DE vid ever, Novice+New Z06+ Hoosiers+instructor on Zanax" from Corvette Forum.

I don’t know what’s the most cringeworthy part of this video: the kiddy helmets, the hopeless and unheeded pointers by the instructor, the way the driver cusses out the car once it lets him by, or the way the driver just mashes the gas and lets his Z06’s automatic transmission and traction control cover up his mistakes.

If this was 50 years ago and this driver tried to do the same, he’d be upside down into a wall and on fire.
----------

One of the yt comments posted the other day also summarizes the genius {sarcasm} moves the two nitwits did....

----------

The faces of this dynamic duo is just pure LOL... and one is a a so-called-instructor!

Even the GT-R driver bailed to avoid the wacky racers!

Last edited by Stingray; 06-19-2015 at 06:19 AM.
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:40 AM   #2
JantzenOKC

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Twin Turbo
Wow.
JantzenOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:55 AM   #3
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I have no problem with that. That's why you buy these cars. Only thing I would have done is to stop first look at the instructor and say "get out". After all your on a race track. You must win. Lol
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:57 AM   #4
Bizaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Redhot 1LE
Haters gonna hate.

THIS ISN'T ABOUT SAFETY IT'S ABOUT SHOWING THAT PORSCHE WHO'S BOSS
Bizaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:01 AM   #5
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizaro View Post
Haters gonna hate.

THIS ISN'T ABOUT SAFETY IT'S ABOUT SHOWING THAT PORSCHE WHO'S BOSS
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:27 AM   #6
GossipSquirrelJelena
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT. Supercharged.
LOL that's the only way to get better. You gotta make bad lines before you learn what a good line is. Toss the goofy instructor next time!
GossipSquirrelJelena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:44 AM   #7
JantzenOKC

I'm too worried about getting my car smashed. If I want to race on a track like that it would have to be in a miata or something lol.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:55 AM   #8
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
guy bought a Z06, not a Miata. What else you going to do besides waste gas?
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:21 AM   #9
JantzenOKC

True, and that Z06 for him might be the equivalent of me buying a miata. But that's why I stay away from track days like that even though I think it would be a blast.

The video definitely shows what a beast the Z06 is though!
Old 06-19-2015, 09:39 AM   #10
CTSVBiggie

Drives: 2013 1LE
I dont know about "worst" track day. Guy was out having fun.

in all if he wants to take it seriously, it sounds like he has a LOT to learn. One trip out without stability control on and he would probably be a LOT less brash in his attempts.

in the end he bought a very fast very expensive car and is out enjoying it in a controlled safe(ish) manner.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:50 AM   #11
1Canuck

Drives: 2014 2LT RS
easy to be an armchair quarterback, even by another supposed instructor/pro.
unless there was some kind of com system it would drive me nuts to see that hand in peripheral vision telling me the line to follow. the extra weight probably kept him behind most of the time LOL.
OK, I missed the point of the post, I admit it. how was this the worst track day?
1Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:57 AM   #12
43Camaro

Drives: [COTW 8/3/15] 2010 Camaro SS L99
I just love the grin on his face.

43Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:24 AM   #13
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
For anyone that has seriously HPDE'd on the track, it's clear the driver was way over the boundaries. So many mistakes- no consistent driving lines, flooring throttle during turns, honking horn, erratic, and even cursing the GT3 driver.... after that run, they kicked him out of the event.
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:29 AM   #14
malave7567

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
For anyone that has seriously HPDE'd on the track, it's clear the driver was way over the boundaries. So many mistakes- no consistent driving lines, flooring throttle during turns, honking horn, erratic, and even cursing the GT3 driver.... after that run, they kicked him out of the event.
If this forum had a like or thanks button, I would hit it for this comment. Agree 100%

This wasn't just a guy "having fun" with his Z06. He was being extremely unsafe. For HPDE to be safe for all involved, you need to follow the rules, take proper instruction, at least try to drive the correct lines, and not be blatantly stupid/reckless.
malave7567 is offline   Reply With Quote