Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-17-2014, 05:52 PM   #1
DylanVK

Drives: a few
Help me build a better detail product...

As many of you have heard by now I've left my previous spot at Adam's and was fortunate to be offered a position where I'll be designing from the ground up an entire 'pro line' for the team at Surf City Garage.

I want this to be a brand that listens to its customers and acts on that feedback to provide the best products in the segment. So as I'm working on this new line for SCG I want feedback from those of you that might consider using these products. Give me your honest input -

• What do you want to see from this line?
  • What do you love about the products you use now?
  • What do you hate about the products you use now?
  • Is there something you wish was available that isn't?

Share your thoughts, feedback, and 'wishes' for your ideal line of products. I'm all ears! Ultimately, your feedback will help shape the products that you might use.
DylanVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:01 PM   #2
flyinlow89
Smoke Alotapotomous

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
For products itself you'll probably get the usual comments. Ease of use, durability, value, shine, good smells etc.

I'm not an Adams fanboy but one thing I loved about their marketing was the simplicity of their product line up. It was easy to follow, you didn't have 4 different versions of a product that does the same thing. I don't even look at Chemical Guys products because their product placement, to me, seemed unorganized. It was overwhelming and confusing
Old 03-17-2014, 07:19 PM   #3
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Here are things I look for when thinking about a line as a whole:

1. Does everything have a clear purpose? Some lines (CG) sell so many things that all do the same/similar thing that nobody knows what to buy. I want all the bases to be covered without a ton of overlap. Pick your focus and go with it. Some people will be pissed you don't offer 8 waxes and a dedicated headlight polish. Too bad. Be lean and good at what you do.

2. Is it cost effective? Am I getting value? Expensive is fine. But there better be a reason why product X costs twice as much as product Y from the guy down the street. Adam's does not understand that. And no, misplaced xenophobia is not a compelling reason to me.

3. Is it efficient? Doesn't have to be the easiest thing in the world to use, but am I making the most of my time? Not everyone likes to waste their time on products like Zaino. I'd rather spend my time wisely and get the most return on investment.

4. Are there any lame ducks? Don't put your name on it if it's not the best you can do. That just brings down the credibility of the rest of your line. You're not going to be the best at everything, but you don't need to put out Buttery Wax just to make Buttery Wax.

To be more specific, I'll respond to your questions:

1. I want to see a serious hobbyist level detailing line. To me this means high quality, high price. I want to see concentrates being sold to keep costs down. When I think "pro line" I think of the Meg's Detailer line. Good products, but geared towards volume. Personally I'd rather see more of a balance struck between the niche product that's still scalable for your mid-volume detailers.

2. What I love most about my products now
-Effectiveness above all
-value for money (I'll spend the money on Americana because I know it's worth it. I won't buy Adam's APC for the same reason).
-Minimized effort. I don't need to do 5 coats of product or repeat a bunch of steps for great results. It works and it lasts.
-Flexibility. I have control over certain products in my lineup. I can mix at dilutions to turn one product into four. I can make different strengths depending on what I need. Versatility is key to me.

3. What don't I like? Size. How often does a hobbyist or even small-time detailer finish a bottle of polish? Or a bottle of sealant? When is the last time any of us saw the bottom of a tub of wax? Keep costs down to the consumer, sell smaller amounts. Consumer is then able to more easily keep up and purchase new products. Risk of disappointment is also lower when buying a 3oz tub for $30 than a 7oz for $70.

4. Something I wish was available that isnt... That's tough. Honestly here I'd have to say the focus would be on accessories/equipment for me. Design a signature line of badass, affordable brushes/applicators/spray bottles/nozzles, etc. Since you're not limited by Adam's anymore, you can keep costs down by sourcing cheaper, but equally good, materials. Currently I have to piece everyting together. Brushes from here, bottles from there, applicators from there. Shipping x 3 and nothing really strikes a balance between impressive and affordable to me. I know you were probably thinking more chemical-based for this question but the market is saturated with great chemicals.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:20 PM   #4
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinlow89 View Post
For products itself you'll probably get the usual comments. Ease of use, durability, value, shine, good smells etc.

I'm not an Adams fanboy but one thing I loved about their marketing was the simplicity of their product line up. It was easy to follow, you didn't have 4 different versions of a product that does the same thing. I don't even look at Chemical Guys products because their product placement, to me, seemed unorganized. It was overwhelming and confusing
Great minds

CG is a bloated irritating ripoff mill

Except Blacklight. Love me some Blacklight.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:58 PM   #5
Z/28Dan

Drives: 2013 HWSE Indy Festial #26
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Here are things I look for when thinking about a line as a whole:

1. Does everything have a clear purpose? Some lines (CG) sell so many things that all do the same/similar thing that nobody knows what to buy. I want all the bases to be covered without a ton of overlap. Pick your focus and go with it. Some people will be pissed you don't offer 8 waxes and a dedicated headlight polish. Too bad. Be lean and good at what you do.

2. Is it cost effective? Am I getting value? Expensive is fine. But there better be a reason why product X costs twice as much as product Y from the guy down the street. Adam's does not understand that. And no, misplaced xenophobia is not a compelling reason to me.

3. Is it efficient? Doesn't have to be the easiest thing in the world to use, but am I making the most of my time? Not everyone likes to waste their time on products like Zaino. I'd rather spend my time wisely and get the most return on investment.

4. Are there any lame ducks? Don't put your name on it if it's not the best you can do. That just brings down the credibility of the rest of your line. You're not going to be the best at everything, but you don't need to put out Buttery Wax just to make Buttery Wax.

To be more specific, I'll respond to your questions:

1. I want to see a serious hobbyist level detailing line. To me this means high quality, high price. I want to see concentrates being sold to keep costs down. When I think "pro line" I think of the Meg's Detailer line. Good products, but geared towards volume. Personally I'd rather see more of a balance struck between the niche product that's still scalable for your mid-volume detailers.

2. What I love most about my products now
-Effectiveness above all
-value for money (I'll spend the money on Americana because I know it's worth it. I won't buy Adam's APC for the same reason).
-Minimized effort. I don't need to do 5 coats of product or repeat a bunch of steps for great results. It works and it lasts.
-Flexibility. I have control over certain products in my lineup. I can mix at dilutions to turn one product into four. I can make different strengths depending on what I need. Versatility is key to me.

3. What don't I like? Size. How often does a hobbyist or even small-time detailer finish a bottle of polish? Or a bottle of sealant? When is the last time any of us saw the bottom of a tub of wax? Keep costs down to the consumer, sell smaller amounts. Consumer is then able to more easily keep up and purchase new products. Risk of disappointment is also lower when buying a 3oz tub for $30 than a 7oz for $70.

4. Something I wish was available that isnt... That's tough. Honestly here I'd have to say the focus would be on accessories/equipment for me. Design a signature line of badass, affordable brushes/applicators/spray bottles/nozzles, etc. Since you're not limited by Adam's anymore, you can keep costs down by sourcing cheaper, but equally good, materials. Currently I have to piece everyting together. Brushes from here, bottles from there, applicators from there. Shipping x 3 and nothing really strikes a balance between impressive and affordable to me. I know you were probably thinking more chemical-based for this question but the market is saturated with great chemicals.
This is a well thought out post. Dylan, I am a DIYer. I detail my cars as therapy. I like the Adam's product because they are simple to use. It is a great system. Color coded for dummies like me. I have no clue who has the better chemicals and what makes a better shine. I really don't. But I know when I break out the Porter Cable, I know what color bottle and pad to pull out with it. And I know what to do next, etc. And in the end, I am satisfied with the results. Please keep us DIYers in mind--like I know you will.

I am a newbie to all this, and am watching for some cool stuff from Surf City!

Dan
Z/28Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:41 PM   #6
trm2

Drives: Model S, Vette, Volt & Equinox
As others have stated, stuff that just works and a product line that isn't overly complicated. I don't need 49 different car wash soaps.

Highly concentrated chemicals that I can dilute myself - and into various strengths as I need.

Easy clean up. Not that anything is incredibly hard today, but easier is easier.
trm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:05 AM   #7
AmericanMuscleCars
Teenage Dream Camaro

Drives: A Visually Stunning Camaro
Again something simple. I loved the adams things because of the color coded things it didn't really require me to think about which pad I would need for this polish or anything like that I could focus on the job at hand and I knew the products went together and i wouldn't have to try 50 different combinations to get it to work. I loved the detail spray of course. Have a product line and update that line don't come out with 50 different versions of it, keep the best one and substitute that one into the line and get rid of the old ones. don't keep them around to confuse people. make an amazing line and stick to it. I also love the accessories idea. I want a one stop shop for everything, chemicals, buckets, nozzles, hoses, towels, razor blades for windows, things like that. Anyways, i know you can make a killer line and I can't wait to see it!

Last edited by AmericanMuscleCars; 03-18-2014 at 01:55 AM.
AmericanMuscleCars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:37 AM   #8
DylanVK

Drives: a few
Awesome stuff guys! Keep it coming... I'm listening and will act on as much of the feedback as I can. Afterall, I know what I'd want, but I'm not the only one that will be working with using this stuff. Ultimately, its your feedback that is going to shape what I work on and what I don't.
DylanVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:12 AM   #9
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Keeping products simple, as much as people like items that serve multiple purposes. I think people are willing to pay for great products that have specific purposes and perform as expected.

I'm always open to a new easy metal polishing product.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:27 AM   #10
13lstuner

Drives: 2013 2LS BLK
I agree with many saying the effectiveness is the #1 priority, but the majority of the weekend warriors out there will put value as their #1 priority. So maybe keep that in mind as well. Although myself I would like to see the top tier of effectiveness and would be willing to pay for it. That may not be the mindset of most of the market though.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:57 AM   #11
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13lstuner View Post
I agree with many saying the effectiveness is the #1 priority, but the majority of the weekend warriors out there will put value as their #1 priority. So maybe keep that in mind as well. Although myself I would like to see the top tier of effectiveness and would be willing to pay for it. That may not be the mindset of most of the market though.
I think that depends on the market and mindset of that market. If I'm someone who goes specifically to Autozone and such, value and good enough applies, if I'm someone who actively researches it or goes to forums for advice and product support, then effectiveness takes a higher priority.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:21 PM   #12
Retro69

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
I agree with sentiments that the value has to be there. I have no problem paying a premium price for a premium product that does the job every time. There is nothing more frustrating than having to "try out" products only to find they are inferior. I'm sure I'm not alone in having an extensive "collection" of sub-par products in my garage.

Now having said this there is another factor that comes into the mix and that is shipping costs. I can't tell you the number of times I have gone to a supplier's web site looking at a new and exciting product only to either hesitate or decide against the purchase when I see the cost to ship. Takes the wind out of my sails, so to speak. I have purchased products from Amazon, Adam's, Auto Geek, Chemical guys but I'll use Adam's as an example due to my proximity to them. I'm in Utah so I would expect shipping to be reasonable given the short distance from Colorado relative to other parts of the country. Given the shipping cost sticker shock here I can only imagine how bad it must be when shipping across the country.

Now I know that shipping costs have been climbing the l last couple of years and there is only so much that can be done about that. Just keep in mind the total investment required.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Retro69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:13 PM   #13
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
I'm very new to detailing and learn everyday. That being said, when I have purchased products, I'm always looking for the best value and love economy concentrate options. Free shipping is a major appeal also.

I don't like fluff, just tell me what the product is, what it does and how to apply it.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:07 PM   #14
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro69 View Post
I agree with sentiments that the value has to be there. I have no problem paying a premium price for a premium product that does the job every time. There is nothing more frustrating than having to "try out" products only to find they are inferior. I'm sure I'm not alone in having an extensive "collection" of sub-par products in my garage.

Now having said this there is another factor that comes into the mix and that is shipping costs. I can't tell you the number of times I have gone to a supplier's web site looking at a new and exciting product only to either hesitate or decide against the purchase when I see the cost to ship. Takes the wind out of my sails, so to speak. I have purchased products from Amazon, Adam's, Auto Geek, Chemical guys but I'll use Adam's as an example due to my proximity to them. I'm in Utah so I would expect shipping to be reasonable given the short distance from Colorado relative to other parts of the country. Given the shipping cost sticker shock here I can only imagine how bad it must be when shipping across the country.

Now I know that shipping costs have been climbing the l last couple of years and there is only so much that can be done about that. Just keep in mind the total investment required.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Shipping costs are generally out of the supplier's hands. There are some cases where companies gouge you and I find that deplorable to make a profit on shipping.

However, if you want shipping costs lowered, they'll just build it into the product cost. They are not going to eat that cost. Just depends where you'd rather see it broken out or not.