The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 02-23-2013, 06:09 AM   #15
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
^ Well said.
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:07 PM   #16
WesC5

Drives: 2004 Silver Corvette Coupe
Jedi.... You may be biased....but I couldn't agree more. The '67 was the best of the Stingrays....hands down.
You make some great points regarding all the squeaks and rattles of the earlier years, but that was not unlike most other cars of the time. Technology is a good thing....and it has only served to make the Corvette an even better car. I'm praying the C7 is as good as GM is saying it is....

I won't buy a first year production....but I'll have one in my garage in 2014.
WesC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:13 PM   #17
GaBoy25

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6/2500HD Lmm LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
Yep, like Volsfan said I am officially an "Old Fart". I have owned a lot of Corvettes over the years and still own a 67 Vette Coupe. I am looking forward to getting a 2017 Corvette to sit beside my 1967 Vette, 50 years apart. Marina Blue as an available color in 2017 would be avery nice option.

Good Lord Yes:sad:

2500HD (with a couple parts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
I wonder if this could be why my car idles like its retarded...
GaBoy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:24 PM   #18
TheDoubleAAdotcom
Account Suspended

Drives: 2008 corvette
first corvette was a 68 but don't know if that was really classified a "stingray"
TheDoubleAAdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:57 PM   #19
AbqVic

67 Coupe Prior Owner

Yet another Old Guy here....

Had a 67 Coupe in the early '70s that provides many fond memories. But, easy to forget that those cars, while being outstanding for their day, had many deficiencies that would not be tolerable today. In addition to squeaks as mentioned above, factory cooling was completely inadequate.

Mine was Milano Maroon with a black interior. It was a cool daily driver. Factory air, power steering, power brakes, electric windows, AM/FM radio, tinted glass, base 300 hp engine, two speed powerglide a/t; all original factory options.

I loved the car, but was frustrated by high engine compartment heat that caused the secondary carburetor float bowl to perculate gas up through the venturi tube after the car was shut down and sat for a few minutes. The gas flowed down to the back cylinders and fowled the two rear plugs after a week or two. Then the resulting misfire and engine shake would break the two exhaust manifold fiber donut gaskets between the manifold and the head pipes. Had to change plugs and the gaskets about once a month.

Tried many solutions but the simplest solution didn't occur to me until after I sold the car. Just lower the float level in the secondary bowl. I think that would have done it, but my diagnostic skills were not too good back then.

Speaking of selling, I bought the car for $1600 and three years later a guy knocked on my door to ask if I would sell the car. I said no at first, but he kept telling me how much he wanted an automatic trans Vett for his wife and pulled $2300 cash from his pocket. I was weak because of my frustration with the carb problem. So, bottom line, I ended up saying yes and he drove off with the car that night. I didn't even have a way to get to work the next day.

It's easy to forget that Stingray Vettes were just used cars back then. But, later I was thinking that the buyer of my car was a guy that was ahead of the curve on the collectibility of good Corvettes. Maybe?

Another factor that contributed to low Vette prices was the gas shortage in the early '70s. A lot of 427 big block Vettes were sold at giveaway prices. I saw a yellow with black stinger 67 coupe with 427 big block on a mickey mouse car lot around that time period for only $2200.

So, yes, I think the new C7 is worthy of the Stingray name and I'm planning to get one. I hope to do museum delivery for the experience and the pleasure of driving it home about 1300 miles.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:10 AM   #20
AbqVic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan View Post
Very interesting stuff, thanks. Will you be ordering C7 first model year?

Yes, if finances permit. I'm pretty sure I can swing it, but it's not a lock. I'll wait until midyear to avoid the early buyer feeding frenzy. Also want to wait to allow supply chain quality issues to stabilize, and early production problems to be worked out. Other than that, I see no reason to avoid the 2014 model year.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:58 AM   #21
yenkotown

Drives: Hyundai 2.0T 10 former Corvettes
I've owned 10 former "Stingrays" ...8 various C2 and 2 C3's. My very favorite was my '68 L89, a Corvette Bronze conv with tan roof and tobacco int......a very rare piece. Thank's for the fond memories.
yenkotown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:45 AM   #22
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryl View Post
I've owned 10 former "Stingrays" ...8 various C2 and 2 C3's. My very favorite was my '68 L89, a Corvette Bronze conv with tan roof and tobacco int......a very rare piece. Thank's for the fond memories.
...neighbor in Miami

Sweet. 10
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:22 PM   #23
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
We have a couple of C3 Stingrays in house here at Pfadt. We are Corvette through-and-through!
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:27 PM   #24
Shark72

Drives: '16 Z06/Z07, '15 Z/28,1972 Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan View Post
Love hearing from the current and ex-Stingray owners.

Doesn't sound like any of you guys are unhappy with the C7 Corvette getting the Stingray moniker.
I agree, it really is no different than the Z06 or ZR1 designation. As long as the new C7 lives up to all the performance expectations!
Shark72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:41 PM   #25
oyealiz

Drives: c7 3LT, manual, vert
Send a message via AIM to oyealiz Send a message via Yahoo to oyealiz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfadt Racing View Post
We have a couple of C3 Stingrays in house here at Pfadt. We are Corvette through-and-through!
Not through-and-through, as we have other vehicles, too, (including my c6 vert) but this is our garage.

oyealiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:53 PM   #26
BWF07

Drives: 2007 Corvette Coupe
Well I don't presently have a Stingray and being retired it will be a few years before I move up from my C6 to a C7. But I did at one time own a String Ray. In fact it was my first Corvette. It was a '66 big block 427/425 Silver Pearl roadster.

This is the only picture I have of it.

BWF07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:56 PM   #27
ROB's 2013 2SS

Drives: 2014 Chevy Corvette Stingray w/Z51
I have a 1972 vette that I am restoring. Post pic later. Only has 16000 origional miles on it.
ROB's 2013 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote