The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 03-22-2018, 09:26 AM   #43
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
Cadillac exclusive for now. Its been already reported the C8 corvette will have a 4.2 twin turbo V8.
Reported by whom? That is a rhetorical question. I know who it was reported by. It is more accurate to say "It has been SPECULATED the Corvette will have a 4.2 twin-turbo V8".

I know the original source for the report and I know what they use as basis for their speculation.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:28 AM   #44
WHAMMO

Drives: 13' 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
It has been rumored for a while that GM was working on two DHOC engines, a 4.2L and a 5.5L, with both N/A and TT versions.

I noticed that this new engine is being built at the Bowling Green plant. That's where Corvettes are made. It has also been rumored that the new mid-engined corvette will get a 5.5L DHOC engine that will eventually have a twin turbo setup (there may be an N/A version of the 5.5 for the base mid-engine vette).

This could mean that there will be a Z/28, and it could have an N/A version of the 5.5L engine. Or a TT version, who knows?

But, this new development is confirming the rumors of the new engine lineup, so stay tuned for a 5.5L version of this new lineup.
Yesss yes yes!! I want to hear more about the NA version of both those engines. But lets play with numbers;
LS3 438hp
LT1 455hp
Detune twin turbo DOHC 500hp, massive tq
Better tune DOHC 550hp.

So they are going to need NA 4.2l of 475hp at mimimum and the 5.0l a minimum of 500hp IMO.

So all those turbos for 500hp? ...I dont know. Good for EPA and emissions I guess.

My wish; 490hp 4.2l and a 540hp 5.2l NA. But that wont happen unless moon revin setup...

Old setup: TSP 231-236/Tick 660/.105 PR, UDP, SW LT 2'' & HFC, stock NPP & H pipe, VR-DRX CAI, air scoop, Goertz1 manifold, 102mm BBK, 26" Toyo DRs, Forgestars R17x10 & F18x8, rear seat delete, remote Pat G tune Autocal, 7400 limiter, Spec Mini Twin. 91oct. 11.90@122.3, 0-60ft 2.0 / 11.99@123.6, 0-60ft 2.1 DA+819 ...519RWHP SAE

Solid roller SBE LS3, FED, LLSR, 91oct, 605rwhp N/A. Tuned by Pat G. Build by me.
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:32 AM   #45
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
It has been rumored for a while that GM was working on two DHOC engines, a 4.2L and a 5.5L, with both N/A and TT versions.

I noticed that this new engine is being built at the Bowling Green plant. That's where Corvettes are made. It has also been rumored that the new mid-engined corvette will get a 5.5L DHOC engine that will eventually have a twin turbo setup (there may be an N/A version of the 5.5 for the base mid-engine vette).

This could mean that there will be a Z/28, and it could have an N/A version of the 5.5L engine. Or a TT version, who knows?

But, this new development is confirming the rumors of the new engine lineup, so stay tuned for a 5.5L version of this new lineup.
Interesting theory.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 03-22-2018, 10:05 AM   #46
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHAMMO View Post
Yesss yes yes!! I want to hear more about the NA version of both those engines. But lets play with numbers;
LS3 438hp
LT1 455hp
Better tune DOHC 550hp.

So they are going to need NA 4.2l of 475hp at mimimum and the 5.0l a minimum of 500hp IMO.

So all those turbos for 500hp? ...I dont know. Good for EPA and emissions I guess.

My wish; 490hp 4.2l and a 540hp 5.2l NA. But that wont happen unless moon revin setup...
Yes, the N/A versions of these motors will need to rev high to get high HP numbers. Hence the DHOC.

But what I don't see (so far), is confirmation of the rumor that these engines will be flat plane crank (FPC). This article (the OP posted) doesn't mention FPC, but that was part of the original rumor about the 4.2 and 5.5 DHOC motors. A 5.5L engine would have to rev over 8,000 RPM's to get to the 540HP you would like. A FPC would help with that. BUT, as we have seen with the Voodoo, large displacement and FPC tend to have vibration issues. We will have to wait and see...

But, a 550 HP (or so) N/A 5.5 FPC DHOC might just make a good engine choice for a Z/28...
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:20 AM   #47
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Some sources are reporting the RPO code for this thing is LTA. Not sure how accurate that is.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:40 AM   #48
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Some sources are reporting the RPO code for this thing is LTA. Not sure how accurate that is.
That would be an interesting RPO code.... That code could suggest this is a detuned/different version of another future engine( like how the LSA was a detuned/different version of the LS9). But unlike with the LSA/LS9 relationship, LTA could be the 4.2TT while the bigger brother being the 5.5L?
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:43 AM   #49
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
LS3 438hp
LT1 455hp
Better tune DOHC 550hp.

I am guessing way over my pay grade here and probably way off base but I would bet the turbos are there more for torque purposes than HP (and most likely emissions as well. Let's face it high HP N/A engines are going to be a thing of the past). From my knowledge, smaller OHC typically don't make a ton of torque, which is probably why they slapped the pair of hairdryers in there, to give it some low end grunt.

Quote:
Yes, the N/A versions of these motors will need to rev high to get high HP numbers. Hence the DHOC.

But what I don't see (so far), is confirmation of the rumor that these engines will be flat plane crank (FPC). This article (the OP posted) doesn't mention FPC, but that was part of the original rumor about the 4.2 and 5.5 DHOC motors. A 5.5L engine would have to rev over 8,000 RPM's to get to the 540HP you would like. A FPC would help with that. BUT, as we have seen with the Voodoo, large displacement and FPC tend to have vibration issues. We will have to wait and see...

But, a 550 HP (or so) N/A 5.5 FPC DHOC might just make a good engine choice for a Z/28...
It would be a great engine for a Z/28 but like you said to make that kind of power it would have to rev to the moon. Basically it would have to do everything people love to bash the VooDoo about. Make power, scream to the moon, but it would probably lack low end torque like the VooDoo.

but since it would be a GM engine it would be assembled by the hand of god and have no flaws lol.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:45 AM   #50
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
LS3 438hp
LT1 455hp
Better tune DOHC 550hp.

Hence the saying: There's no replacement for displacement
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:45 PM   #51
WHAMMO

Drives: 13' 1LE
Quote:

Lets keep in mind that Ford 5.0 has 475hp now, on the Bullit version. It keeps going up and the tuned 5.0 are doimg wonders. 5.2l Voodoo ia kinda useless and overpriced now.

So now GM has brand new engines, they better come up with something better than the already old but refreshed 5.0l.

..and the GT500 is coming at over 700hp. Has to be somewhere close to 740hp...

Old setup: TSP 231-236/Tick 660/.105 PR, UDP, SW LT 2'' & HFC, stock NPP & H pipe, VR-DRX CAI, air scoop, Goertz1 manifold, 102mm BBK, 26" Toyo DRs, Forgestars R17x10 & F18x8, rear seat delete, remote Pat G tune Autocal, 7400 limiter, Spec Mini Twin. 91oct. 11.90@122.3, 0-60ft 2.0 / 11.99@123.6, 0-60ft 2.1 DA+819 ...519RWHP SAE

Solid roller SBE LS3, FED, LLSR, 91oct, 605rwhp N/A. Tuned by Pat G. Build by me.
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:42 PM   #52
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Lets keep in mind that Ford 5.0 has 475hp now, on the Bullit version. It keeps going up and the tuned 5.0 are doimg wonders. 5.2l Voodoo ia kinda useless and overpriced now.

So now GM has brand new engines, they better come up with something better than the already old but refreshed 5.0l.

..and the GT500 is coming at over 700hp. Has to be somewhere close to 740hp...
A bit early to assume the new engines will be added to the Camaro portfolio.

Old 03-22-2018, 05:13 PM   #53
Quinten_33

Drives: Silverado
I don't think that there will be an LT9. The other DOHC TT V8 was called the LT7 (1st picture below) in one of the earlier Mid-engine Corvette leaks. That engine did not feature a Hot-V design, and it did have the full exhaust system on it, including the same tips as the test mules. I expect that to be a higher displacement engine with bigger turbos compared to the LTA. However, there was ANOTHER leaked engine picture that everyone forgot about. It may have been a cancelled design, but it doesn't match the LTA or LT7. It's the second picture below, and it has a single throttle body but appears to have dual air intakes, and no turbocharger is present. It doesn't appear to be supercharged, either. Its air intake system opens toward either side of the engine, which makes it seem like the engine would go in the back of a vehicle and suck in air from small intake holes on either side of the car. Its heads appear to be too small for DOHC, so I'm wondering if it's just a new LT1(LT2?).

GM obviously has some DOHC and turbocharged V8 engines on the way, and expect to see on in a Camaro by gen 7. In fact, I bet that the Gen 7 ZL1 will have a Twin Turbocharged DOHC V8, and that it will have more power and torque than the LT4 throughout the rev range. If you think that Turbo engines don't sound good, watch this:
0:57 for cold start, 5:24 for revs, 7:29 for on-road sounds. Keep in mind that it has a stock performance exhaust system.
Really good:

One more:
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8Pf2NGJcSs

Quinten_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 05:50 PM   #54
chain777

Drives: Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Just thinking out loud...

If Cadillac is willing to share (which it appears they will be), this...

+ this...

+ the engineering and tech from this...

...would likely send Raptors crying home to Dearborn...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
A bit early to assume the new engines will be added to the Camaro portfolio.
It's about time GM developed a DOHC V8 for the 21st century. I thought part of the plan to elevate Cadillac above the rest of the GM brands was to have exclusive engines? Sharing it with a pickup and a Camaro doesn't make any sense. This looks promising and hopefully this time they learned the lessons from the Northstar and will do the DOHC V8 right. I'd imagine similar changes are in place for the eventual LT V8 replacements.
chain777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:36 PM   #55
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
GM's 4.6 Northstar was way better than the ford 4.6 mod motor.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:34 PM   #56
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
I’m excited for a TT V-8. BMW is kicking butt with theirs.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote